Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am new to the forums and I am 15 and will be getting my license in a couple months. I have chosen to get a 2008 Honda accord coupe V6 as my first car. I was wondering if i should buy a Stick or drive Automatic. I don't really know how to drive a stick yet but my friend promised me she would teach me on her jeep. None of my parents have a stick so i would be the first in my family to buy one. Could yaw please help me decide and also which color i should get it in. I use the highway to get to my school because its faster.Their is not alot of traffic where I am at. Takes about 8 minutes to school. Thank you for taking your time to read my thread. I will upgrade my membership when i get the car and upload pics when I mod it.

· Registered
28 Posts
Personally, I prefer driving manual. In fact, I learned when I was 16, all of my cars since have been manual, and all three of our cars in our household right now are manual.

If you're interested in learning how to drive manual properly, I say go for it. The key is to make sure you don't pick up any bad habits early on (Don't ride the clutch, push the pedal all the way to the floor on each shift, learn how to properly rev-match on downshifts, etc.), so make sure you have an adequate person to teach you.

Hondas typically have very good manual gearboxes (as far as feel and reliability), so they are great to learn on and can be a lot of fun.

Of course, there are downsides to manuals. The first everyone will mention will be stop-and-go traffic can be tedious. Resale can sometimes suffer as many people don't like or don't know how to drive manual.

To me it's a skill that more people should know.

· Registered
809 Posts
There aren't many manual Accords out there, especially 2 doors. If you do have a choice go for the manual in any color but red. You don't want to stand out as a new driver!

Driving a stick in a Jeep will give you great appreciation of Honda.

· Registered
436 Posts
Hey dude, im 17 and got a manual accord a year ago. My dad taught me how to drive a manual transmission when I was 15 years old. I live in the city and still love it. It was hard to find one....there were only two in my state. Go for the manual, I know many people who bought the automatic and regret it simply because of the preformance and feel. I feel better connected to the car when I drive a stick. A chick is gonna teach you??? you need to get on that shit bro....I don't know any girls that can drive a stick other than my mom. :/

· Registered
436 Posts
Plus, then most people wont be able to drive your car!!

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey dude, im 17 and got a manual accord a year ago. My dad taught me how to drive a manual transmission when I was 15 years old. I live in the city and still love it. It was hard to find one....there were only two in my state. Go for the manual, I know many people who bought the automatic and regret it simply because of the preformance and feel. I feel better connected to the car when I drive a stick. A chick is gonna teach you??? you need to get on that shit bro....I don't know any girls that can drive a stick other than my mom. :/
haha for reals man awesome! yea ive been watching lots of youtube videos and i got it down just need the first hand experience. haha and yea shes cute but shes a junior :/.. How long did it take for you to get it down without killing the engine?

· EXLV6NAVFTW
246 Posts
Hmm for a new driver I'd say go for the manual, but with an I4 and not the V6.

· 7th Gear
4,892 Posts
Hello I am new to the forums and I am 15 and will be getting my license in a couple months. I have chosen to get a 2008 Honda accord coupe V6 as my first car. I was wondering if i should buy a Stick or drive Automatic. I don't really know how to drive a stick yet but my friend promised me she would teach me on her jeep. None of my parents have a stick so i would be the first in my family to buy one. Could yaw please help me decide and also which color i should get it in. I use the highway to get to my school because its faster.Their is not alot of traffic where I am at. Takes about 8 minutes to school. Thank you for taking your time to read my thread. I will upgrade my membership when i get the car and upload pics when I mod it.

What does I have Chosen, mean?
Are you paying for this or Mom and Dad?

Get the 4 cyl.

Are you taking Drivers Ed?

Look for the thread about the kid in Texas and his new Mustang.

Sorry, but how does a 15 year old afford a 2008 Accord?

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does I have Chosen, mean?
Are you paying for this or Mom and Dad?

Get the 4 cyl.

Are you taking Drivers Ed?

Look for the thread about the kid in Texas and his new Mustang.
MY Dad is paying for this and both my parents have v6 and v8 so i do not want to downgrade since i am use to driving both of their cars. I finished drivers ed a while ago.

· Registered
436 Posts
haha for reals man awesome! yea ive been watching lots of youtube videos and i got it down just need the first hand experience. haha and yea shes cute but shes a junior :/.. How long did it take for you to get it down without killing the engine?
My dad taught me on my moms BMW Z4 and I had it within an hour. The hardest part was 1st gear.....I always pulled out to soon...and I didn't give it enough gas....need like 2000 rpm's before engaging the clutch when learning. All of the other gears were cake!! By the end of the week, I was driving my dads Cadillac CTS-V with ease. We just practiced on a road where there was NOBODY so I could just focus on shifting. The accords clutch is amazing. I probably killed it 10 times lol....Hey, thats not that big of an age difference!

Learn on her Jeep so its not your car!!

· Registered
16 Posts
At your age I would go with a manual and the 4cyl. The manual will keep you more focused and the 4 is cheaper. Cheaper for your parents to replace when you crash it. I know you might be a great driver but at some point you or someone else will crash your car.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My dad taught me on my moms BMW Z4 and I had it within an hour. The hardest part was 1st gear.....I always pulled out to soon...and I didn't give it enough gas....need like 2000 rpm's before engaging the clutch when learning. All of the other gears were cake!! By the end of the week, I was driving my dads Cadillac CTS-V with ease. We just practiced on a road where there was NOBODY so I could just focus on shifting. The accords clutch is amazing. I probably killed it 10 times lol....Hey, thats not that big of an age difference!

Learn on her Jeep so its not your car!!
Haha yea i saw that on the youtube video to about the 2000 rpm's. Do you regret getting the v6 instead of the i4? And i'm glad you said that because i was also wondering if the accord clutch was good haha. Cant wait till i get my license. I'm already a good driver with automatic so i hope i can be a great one with manual ha.

· 7th Gear
4,892 Posts
MY Dad is paying for this and both my parents have v6 and v8 so i do not want to downgrade since i am use to driving both of their cars. I finished drivers ed a while ago.
Buying your Gas and paying Insurance, too, I guess?

You are already a Good driver, after 6 months?

· 7th Gear
4,892 Posts
YUP! I'l Probably get a job but just to save money to mod the car.

Get what you can get, then, cause you will not appriciate it and probably mess it up in 6 months. Then Daddy will just buy you another.

FAIL

· Registered
436 Posts
Haha yea i saw that on the youtube video to about the 2000 rpm's. Do you regret getting the v6 instead of the i4? And i'm glad you said that because i was also wondering if the accord clutch was good haha. Cant wait till i get my license. I'm already a good driver with automatic so i hope i can be a great one with manual ha.
Regret getting the v6? HELL NO!.....its like 100 more horsepower?!?

There is nothing like rolling up to a stop light and seeing some dude in a bimmer talk shit about my honda "ricer" through the window. The only thing he'l be seeing is the V-6 emblem on the back of my car. Plus it has extras like fog lights, dual exhaust, and bigger rims...go for the V-6....i am saying this because i have a v-6, but a i4 owner will tell you to get the i4. personal preference...

· Registered
4,188 Posts
Definitely go with the manual. But as others stated, the I4 is probably much smarter. Perhaps you are the exception, but I don't see how any teenage guy with a drop of testosterone in his blood will have the judgment and restraint to drive a 6-6 safely. I would seriously question if it is a good match for an inexperienced driver. This car is designed to get you into trouble. Forgive me for being curt, but the idea of "downgrading" as a 15-year old strikes me as being little pretentious.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get what you can get, then, cause you will not appriciate it and probably mess it up in 6 months. Then Daddy will just buy you another.

FAIL
Haha you don't even know me though? I'm not spoiled at all I get all A's and B's I respect my parents and appreciate everything they give me. Why else would my dad give me a v6. Plus he knows i'm responsible. I will also be using this car in college so i'm going to have this car for 10+ years..

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regret getting the v6? HELL NO!.....its like 100 more horsepower?!?

There is nothing like rolling up to a stop light and seeing some dude in a bimmer talk shit about my honda "ricer" through the window. The only thing he'l be seeing is the V-6 emblem on the back of my car. Plus it has extras like fog lights, dual exhaust, and bigger rims...go for the V-6....i am saying this because i have a v-6, but a i4 owner will tell you to get the i4. personal preference...
Haha you are so right about that lol. Ok well i will be playing varsity football next year to and you know the workouts are insane. So do you think i will still have enough energy to drive a stick after practice everyday? I am curious about that to. I also love the dual exhaust too, it makes it look alot cooler.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.