Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) warns you when your tire pressure is below the manufacturer's minimum... but if there is nothing wrong with the tire pressure... as is the case for me, I have to pony up $125 plus tax and fees to Honda Dealership just for them to reset the TPMS light.

If this happens again in the lifetime of the vehicle, wouldn't buying the instrument pay for itself?

What is used to reset the TPMS light and where can it be bought?

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. And would the instrument that resets TPMS light also diagnose which of the four sensors is malfunctioning, or is something else required to determine which sensor is malfunctioning?

·
Daily Driver
37 Posts
I have the ateq tpms tool that resets the system for sale. the thing is that downloads the IDs that are stored in your vehicle's ECU but I'm not sure if it tells you which one is damaged. PM me if interested

·
Registered
304 Posts
If the light is on, then either the pressure in one or more of the tires is low, or there is something wrong with the TPMS system.

So, what would an "instrument" that resets the light accomplish?

The solution is to either put the correct pressure in all 4 tires or fix the problem, either of which would turn the light off.

Also, the ATEQ TPMS tool merely reads and writes sensor IDs and will not diagnose an issue.

·
2010 EX 4dr VTEC 2.4L
248 Posts
I know that feel bro

Attachments

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, what would an "instrument" that resets the light accomplish?
It would allow someone to continue using a 60 cent non-digital tire pressure gauge to make sure that his tires are OK and not have to look at the warning light whose purpose ended up being to extract $125 diagnostic + Tax + Fees from you and then on top of that pay $?? to fix the damn sensor and then do this however many times over and over again over the life of the car ending up costing you a four digit amount of money making you want to go back to the manual regular tire pressure check using your trustworthy 60 cent tire pressure gauge instead of paying $x,xxx for the sensor that did not do its job.

When they came up with oil check sensor, sometimes even the dealership guys would forget to reset it, so its purpose became to extract social security money from seniors who had to take their cars in and pay to reset the oil check light because they thought it was the old Check Engine light telling them there was something wrong with the car. Meanwhile, there was nothing wrong, they changed their oil when they were supposed to and mechanics just forgot to reset that oil check sensor and so you ended up having Seniors on social security financing mechanics to reset the oil change sensor and they would have been better of in life not having one because they are on fixed income and that sensor ended up being an unnecessary luxury x 100 for them..

Of course that was not supposed to be the purpose of either TPMS or the engine oil sensor but in real life - that's what we are looking at today.

·
Registered
304 Posts
It would ...
NO.

If you used an "instrument" to turn off the TPMS light, it would be turned back on within so few miles of driving.

The system would either detect that the pressure in one or more of the tires was low, or that there was another problem with the TPMS system and it would illuminate the light.

If such an "instrument" existed, you would have to use it EVERY TIME YOU DROVE THE CAR if you wanted to keep the light off.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, thank you very much for clarifying that.

I thought that IF the tire pressure was OK, all that was needed was a TPMS light reset, just like sometimes CHECK ENGINE light needs to be reset in older gen cars.

I understand you are saying that TPMS light cannot be permanently reset under any circumstances, you have to buy a new sensor which is causing the light to come on even though tire pressure is OK. A costly and luxury "feature" this is, if it happens multiple times over the life of a car.

·
2010 Honda Accord EX
606 Posts
ok, thank you very much for clarifying that.

I thought that IF the tire pressure was OK, all that was needed was a TPMS light reset, just like sometimes CHECK ENGINE light needs to be reset in older gen cars.

I understand you are saying that TPMS light cannot be permanently reset under any circumstances, you have to buy a new sensor which is causing the light to come on even though tire pressure is OK. A costly and luxury "feature" this is, if it happens multiple times over the life of a car.
I had this same issue with another Honda vehicle. It came down to replacing the sensor and the issue was fixed. Technically, there was a little more to it than that, but I will save that story for another time.

Scott C.

·
BringTheIntegraBack
256 Posts
A costly and luxury "feature" this is, if it happens multiple times over the life of a car.
The sensor is actually only 20 odd bucks for each wheel.

If you have a dealer with whom you have a decent relationship, they should not charge you to reset the system. I have had mine programmed twice, and was not charged either time. That being said, it seems people are paying up to a 100 bucks for the reset.

And if you got charged to reset the oil change light, you need to switch dealers! Charging for that reset is thievery! You can do that reset yourself.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$125 + Tax and Fees just to look at it, Kansas City Metro.

TPMS and Oil Change sensors unnecessarily lighting up have brought in untold millions of dollars for the dealers of all cars, especially from the elderly and from people who don't know much about cars. It is shameful but true.

·
Registered
304 Posts
TPMS and Oil Change sensors unnecessarily lighting up...
Unnecessarily?

Both of the indicators have a valid purpose.

The TPMS system is a federal requirement on all cars since 2007, not a luxury feature. When light is comes on, it's for a reason.

The oil change indicator simply lets you know when it's time to change your oil and will be reset by whoever changes your oil at no additional charge. If you change your own oil, or follow a different oil change schedule, it's easy to reset yourself.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2014 price is $31.60 for single Sensor (WOL 20).
2014 price for labor rate is $114.50 but the job takes less than 1 hour so the charge is $77.84.
=====================================

$108.84 to replace a single sensor in 2014, not including tax, misc. fees or charges, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) warns you when your tire pressure is below the manufacturer's minimum... but if there is nothing wrong with the tire pressure... as is the case for me, I have to pony up $125 plus tax and fees to Honda Dealership just for them to reset the TPMS light.

If this happens again in the lifetime of the vehicle, wouldn't buying the instrument pay for itself?

What is used to reset the TPMS light and where can it be bought?
First off which light is on?

"TPMS" is called a MIL, Malfunction Indicator Light. It only comes on when there is an issue with the TPMS system. It can come on for something as simple as the spare being installed on the vehicle. It typically lights up when one of the sensors stops working correctly, replace the bad sensor and the light goes off.

When ever TPMS is illuminated the TPMS system is not functional. What ever is causing the issue must be addressed to turn of the light and the system operate.

There is also the telltale. This the yellow light with the flat tire symbol. This light comes on when ever the tire pressure is outside the programmed threshold. This light will turn it self off when the tire pressure is correct and the car is driven at over 19mph.

·
Honda President
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The actual TPMS light was on. They diagnosed it to be a bad sensor which they replaced. It is now fixed.

How would you diagnose which one of the four sensors it is, and if you knew, could the sensor be bought and installed as a DIY (do it yourself) job?

·
Registered
102 Posts
You have to have TPMS tool to receive the signal from each of the sensors. When a sensor goes bad it stops broadcasting. After replacing the sensor the ID's have to be learned to the vehicle with the TPMS tool. Most vehicles require this to be done through the OBD port via the TPMS tool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A lot of nonsense and not much good information here.

I dont care if it's a "federal requirement" as if a group of idiots making a "law" somehow legitimizes the system. That "law" was created in the typical knee-jerk reaction of 80 some deaths from underinflated firestone tires on ford explorers. Certainly NOT a problem associated with Honda cars.

Back to the actual question of the TOOL to diagnose and reset tmps system I too am looking for information.

What I have found out so far is the $150 aeq quickset tool cannot activate (trigger) sensors and you have to actually know the sensor numbers to flash them to the ecu with that tool.

For 150.00 you can buy the ACTUAL Honda tool, the HDS HIM tool, which connects via obd2 to (presumably) disagnose tpms problems (to figure out which sensor is bad) among nearly every other honda problem, but that requires a laptop to connect to for the interface (or a tablet as Honda uses) and it also doesnt trigger the sensors. Apparently you need s tool to trigger the sensors which (presumably) works via wireless. Not sure about that deal.

So, like the OP, I am looking for the tools/process to diagnose a problem without having the minimum 140 just to look at it.

Oh, and the guy who says his honda dealer will do that for free...thats great but you have the exception not the rule of dealers.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The smaller tire shops and Discount Tire locations I have gone to always have put my sensors into discovery mode for me free of charge - from here my ATEQ takes over for seasonal swaps. I have only needed discovery mode triggered when I required new sensors or introduced a new set of wheels so the tool referenced in this thread would see minimal use.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts