Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Im trying to decide which one should I buy, a 03 accord lx with only 57000 miles and a 06 accord lx with 77000 miles. The 03 is $6500 and 06 is $8500 (06 comes with separate gps and backup camera). Both of them are being sold by first owner, both have clean title and are in very good/ excellent condition. The 03 has 4 new tires while the 06 tires have about 60-70% life.
Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
4 cyl or 6 cyl? Im leaning towards the 06 in any case. If v6 more so the 06

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I would say the 06. Since it's the 4th year of 7th gen (03 was first year), most of the bugs had already been fixed. There were no major issues the entire time that I had it (almost 100k). Most of the maintenance I did on that car were routine maintenance, brakes, engine oils, filters, fluids etc. It was an awesome car!

I'd test drive both (if possible) before making the final decision though.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
4 cyl or 6 cyl? Im leaning towards the 06 in any case. If v6 more so the 06
I forgot to mention that both cars have 4 cyl.

I would say the 06. Since it's the 4th year of 7th gen (03 was first year), most of the bugs had already been fixed. There were no major issues the entire time that I had it (almost 100k). Most of the maintenance I did on that car were routine maintenance, brakes, engine oils, filters, fluids etc. It was an awesome car!

I'd test drive both (if possible) before making the final decision though.
Thanks for the advice. I prefer the 06 but it has more 20000 mile. I dont know if 3 years newer worth the 2000$ difference. Is there any big improvement or new features btw 06 lx and 03 lx?

·
Banned
36 Posts
Of course, it's based on personal preference. I also have a 2006 Honda Accord LX, with 88,000 miles and love it! The 2006 Accord got some minor changes, such as a different trunk lid, with LED tail lights, and a new front bumper, with day time running lights.

Also, in 2006, they added the Maintenance Minder system, and there also may have been additional safety features added to the 2006.- Not 100% sure. Have to check that out.

You probably can tell I'm highly recommending the 06 Accord. But again, its personal preference.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of course, it's based on personal preference. I also have a 2006 Honda Accord LX, with 88,000 miles and love it! The 2006 Accord got some minor changes, such as a different trunk lid, with LED tail lights, and a new front bumper, with day time running lights.

Also, in 2006, they added the Maintenance Minder system, and there also may have been additional safety features added to the 2006.- Not 100% sure. Have to check that out.

You probably can tell I'm highly recommending the 06 Accord. But again, its personal preference.
Thanks, im leaning towards the 06 now, the exterior looks better with the new tail lights and trunk lid. How do you think about the price? Is 8500 a fair price for a 06 lx. It comes with 7" Magellan gps and backup camera

·
Registered
385 Posts
granted this was froma dealership i bought my 03 for 6300 and it has 97k... 4cyl 5speed ex.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have maintenance on mine (05). I would just get the 06. It would have a bit more resale value than an 11 year old car. Keep in mind you may keep them a long time. I bought mine when it was 6 years old and just shy of 100k for 10 out the door. Since then I've driven it over 65k in less than three years and have only done general maintenance. Plus I think the 06 rear looks better than the half white half red lights of the 03

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hi guys, Im trying to decide which one should I buy, a 03 accord lx with only 57000 miles and a 06 accord lx with 77000 miles. The 03 is $6500 and 06 is $8500 (06 comes with separate gps and backup camera). Both of them are being sold by first owner, both have clean title and are in very good/ excellent condition. The 03 has 4 new tires while the 06 tires have about 60-70% life.
Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks all.
I own an '03 LX V6 with 230K and it's still going strong with regular maintenance. However, in your case I'd probably go with the '06 and enjoy the improvements made in that three years. Gotta admit I like the body styling of the '06 better. I'd negotiate for a slightly better price. But I'm sure you already know that. Wise decision on choosing a Honda whichever one you go with. Their mowers, motorcycles, and autos have all served me well through the years.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
+1 for the '06. The '03 was the most known year for automatic transmission failures. $8500 is not unreasonable, but like with anything being sold used and AS-IS, the asking price is always just a starting point for negotiation :yes:

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
All else being "equal":

1) 20,000 mile difference on Hondas is negligible.
2) +1 on the '06 just because it is newer.
3) Whichever you buy, you are making a wise choice.
4) When you pull the trigger, have $250 set aside to do the complete new owner maintenance UNLESS you have service records indicating fluids were changed at the proper intervals.
5) Ask questions!

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,650 Posts
Which one runs better, shifts better, and has the best recorded maintenance history? Any leaks from either engine or transmission? Do all the windows and door locks work well, as well as the A/C and other controls. Any warning lights coming on in the dash cluster? What color are they painted, and is it holding up well? A paint job can cost you a pretty penny, and the dark colors tend to have more issues with peeling clear coats. Check each car out, as thoroughly as you can, or get a professional to do it for you.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Which one runs better, shifts better, and has the best recorded maintenance history? Any leaks from either engine or transmission?
Agreed. Go over both with a fine-toothed comb. Condition is most important. With all things being equal, I'd take the 06' if I could haggle down the price.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just want to add this.
The '03 car is already 11+ years old. Anything made from rubber (axle seals, rear main seals, steering rack seals, belts, hoses, etc) are less pliable due to old age, so it may leak.
Plastic parts (like the dashboard, HVAC panel, map light) are also becoming brittle and would crack when it is time to do minor repair (ie. replacing burned out bulbs).
The original radiator's plastic part may start leaking soon.

The above observations came from my experience on a 1999 Accord.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Go for 2006 because it is newer. Of course, only after test driving it and asking questions, questions and questions.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I actually don't like the shape of the taillights of 7.5 Gen.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts