Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's that time of year again, getting colder, and in fact, we did get some snow near Carol Stream, IL today.

I don't really know if I'd benefit from snow tires, because I just had Michelin Defenders put on in September.

Tread depth is 12/32s, so I don't know if that is sufficient enough for this winter.

The thing that made me consider snow tires, was the fact that last year, driving home in Freezing Rain, my street was completely glazed over with ice.... Slowly Turning left onto my street, the car spun 180 degrees the other direction... After that encounter, I kinda want snow tires.. (thank God I didn't hit the Chevy Conversion van parked on the street!)

Any of you have any input on this?

Something else I forgot to ask, was that, I know the V-6 models have Vehicle Stability Assist/traction control, does that help in snow? Mine being the LX, I believe all I have is ABS.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,613 Posts
there are a few things to consider when thinking about getting snow tires.

1. how often does it snow where you live? and when it does snow, how heavy is the average accumulation? do you live close to the lake effect snow areas in illinois? or, are you further south and away from the lake?

2. are there any hills where you live or drive normally? if not, then maybe you can get away with not having them.

3. ice. snow tires, or any tires, on ice ain't doing much. you can't beat physics. in a situation like that, you are better off staying home or wherever you are if at all possible, and going out either after the roads are treated, or if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO!

·
Banned
694 Posts
Ice is something even snow tires will lose traction on, unless you have studded tires.

You have basically new all seasons, you'll be fine as long as you drive smart.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Snow tires are not a MUST remember that. You can get away will all seasons, for every season, however you will not get the best traction with them. If you get a dedicated tire, for summer/winter, you will see the best performance.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
A Canadian, a New Yorker, and a.....Alabamian?!?! (he's a transplant from Pennsylvania, lol)

All good recommendations. Carol Stream, IL is not close enough to Lake Michigan to get "lake effect" snow.

As stated, new tires will be fine for you in the Chicago area this winter. But if you drive to Dekalb or up to Wisconsin, you may want to re-think as they do not plow as often as the Chicago area does.

You can always score some used wheels and snow tires (check the date codes, not just the tread depth!) on Craigslist.

·
Super Moderator
6,617 Posts
Don't laugh.

I live in Aurora and the morning I had to go upgrade a phone system at 4am, 2 years ago, the Blizzak snow tires saved me. I was blasting passed everyone at 65mph on the highway..

So yes, snow tires. Do they make a difference? They make a BIG difference in being able to stop way sooner than all season tires.

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Don't laugh.

I live in Aurora and the morning I had to go upgrade a phone system at 4am, 2 years ago, the Blizzak snow tires saved me. I was blasting passed everyone at 65mph on the highway..

So yes, snow tires. Do they make a difference? They make a BIG difference in being able to stop way sooner than all season tires.
Yeah, before the plows come I try to stay off the roads.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,702 Posts
That's when its the most fun!!

Seriously, all seasons will be fine. Even performance tires will be ok if can pick and choose when you drive and drive smart. IE: SLOWER.

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,027 Posts
Something also to keep in mind is that a set of proper snow tires just handle/perform better at lower temps, for us it's 7 degrees and below, regardless of road and weather condition.

This reminds me of something my Dad drilled into me as a kid ... "If it's cold enough for hockey, it's time to put on the steelies"

·
Super Moderator
6,617 Posts
Sometimes that's not a luxury for me due to my job's demand so I can't tell boss "I'm staying off the road for now because the plows haven't come through". When that massive storm came by 2 years ago with people trapped on Michigan ave. in downtown, I was blowing by everybody on my snow tires on the streets and highway both. I also don't have to worry about trying to stop and sliding like mad with ABS going nuts in deeper than 1" snow.

·
1,655 Posts
All-seasons will work. Winter tires will work better.

We're nearing the time of year when we start to see BMW and Infiniti SUVs in the median of the Northway. Usually these sport utes will have ski racks and either a NJ plate or something identifying a downstate dealer. The driver is usually muttering something like, "I thought I had four wheel drive."

Going is one part. Turning and stopping are others. Winters will be better in all three aspects, all other things equal. Even on ice, and nothing except maybe ice racing studs are good on ice.

Good advice in this thread about temperatures, how often you drive in what kind of snow, how all-seasons will get you there most times, but it won't be business as usual. You can get through with new all-seasons, but it''s up to you to decide whether your type of driving and weather warrant winters.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
14,613 Posts
We're nearing the time of year when we start to see BMW and Infiniti SUVs in the median of the Northway. Usually these sport utes will have ski racks and either a NJ plate or something identifying a downstate dealer. The driver is usually muttering something like, "I thought I had four wheel drive."

Going is one part. Turning and stopping are others. Winters will be better in all three aspects, all other things equal. Even on ice, and nothing except maybe ice racing studs are good on ice.
every year, you will see someone in an suv/truck in the ditch stuck cause they think that cause they have 4WD/AWD that they can conquer anything.

it's usually not the case.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
well i live outside buffalo NY. have all my life. never used snow tires. blizzard of 77 no matter what ya had you weren't going any ware unless you were on a snowmobile. in the bad storms/blizzards ive driven in ive been on all weather tires. yes snows would have been better. the big thing is knowing how to drive on snow. yes i said drive ON snow. you cant drive like its summer (yes that's a given). you have to drive according to conditions. yup you guessed it SLOW. biggest thing to remember is DRIVE DEFENSIVELY! expect the other guy is just learning to drive, and is going to cut you off.

all that said i vote for all season tires. they have worked for me for 35 years. its called drive smart.

·
EX V6 6spd
133 Posts
I live in Rochester NY and have always had a dedicated winter setup. Sure you can drive fine with all seasons but having meaty Blizzaks on makes the car handle so much better and ultimately safer. And remember its not all about your driving, in the case you have to maneuver around cars that are slipping and turning all around you (think an accident) you will thank yourself for having snows on because they grip and let you point the car where you want to go with very little tire spin. I would always use snows on FWD cars, all seasons ok for all wheel drive cars/SUVs.

·
2005 Accord EX-L *SSM*
423 Posts
Last year a buddy of mine and I got hit with a snow storm in Glenview, we were just getting out of Costco. (I know, I know, there are tons of closer Costcos in the city. But at that time the gas prices over there were insanely cheap.)

Anyway, while we were browsing the store the snow accumulated quickly, and it became apparent that it was going to be a tough situation to get back home to the city. Cars were sliding just trying to leave the parking lot, and we witnessed two accidents. Just typical fender benders from applying to much pressure on the breaks far too quickly.

I did fine with all season tires, the trick is to use caution and common sense.

Additional Note: One thing I really give the city credit for is the prompt attention and execution in their efforts to treat the streets. The difference between outer and inner city limits is quite drastic.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
true, but im not familiar with winters in IL. you and i know western NY winters all too well. i keep my distance in crappy weather. pick my time to pass, then go. i blow by 4x4's regularly on all seasons. luck? probably, but have yet to have an accident on all weather tires in winter. yes blizzacks would be better, but have had no issues in 34 years of western NY winters (knock on wood).

just my experiences. not gospel. very hard to recommend a tire for a location i haven't been to. depends on your feelings. get snows, and be as safe as you can. nothing wrong with that. kinda depends on the car too. mite need snows with my 08. time will tell.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
whats ssm?

·
Banned
13,099 Posts
Last year a buddy of mine and I got hit with a snow storm in Glenview, we were just getting out of Costco. (I know, I know, there are tons of closer Costcos in the city. But at that time the gas prices over there were insanely cheap.)

Anyway, while we were browsing the store the snow accumulated quickly, and it became apparent that it was going to be a tough situation to get back home to the city. Cars were sliding just trying to leave the parking lot, and we witnessed two accidents. Just typical fender benders from applying to much pressure on the breaks far too quickly.

I did fine with all season tires, the trick is to use caution and common sense.

Additional Note: One thing I really give the city credit for is the prompt attention and execution in their efforts to treat the streets. The difference between outer and inner city limits is quite drastic.
My cousins shop at that Costco- it's right near the Glen. What were you City boys doing there?:paranoid:

Chaos, my buddy Matt was the spokesperson for Chicago Streets and Sanitation Department for 20 years. Ever since the blizzard of 1979 (when it cost Mayor Bilandic his election) the City is hyper-sensitive about getting it right.

Interesting, my buddy wants to retire and Atlanta (!) called him. Because of the freaky weather in the USA lately, they get freakish snow storms and need someone who knows how to run a snow removal program.

Ever want to see the opposite of Chicago's expert snow removal? Check out Washington, DC.....ahhh, Washington, DC. :lmao:

·
Banned
694 Posts
Can't be any worse than Long Island. I've never seen such incompetence from a highway department when it comes to handling snow.

When I lived in Massachusetts (before I moved out to LI in 1999) there was never an issue when a snow storm hit. They sent plows EVERYWHERE. Even the small back roads.

Long Island? It's like they're afraid to even steer their plows off the main roads, when that insane blizzard hit last winter, my neighborhood was snowed in for five days. The only reason people were able to get out where local plow drivers making paths.

It drives me nuts because I see my tax money being dicked around with every winter.

·
Legitimate hack
1,415 Posts
I noticed that while I was living in LI. Drove me insane! Its not that much better up here in Eastern CT. That same big snow storm had me waiting a few days for CT to even think about hitting residential areas.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts