Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 60 of 314 Posts

·
Not My First Post
34 Posts
The stinger is actually on my to test drive list before I make a decision about the next car I have. My reservations about it: For a car equipped how I would need it, it is significantly more expensive. I like that for $36k you can have essentially a fully loaded accord 2.0 touring. For the fully loaded Kia you are looking at closer to $60k. Most people I know wouldn't bat an eyelash at spending $36k for a honda but would balk at dropping even $50k for a kia. If they had made the Kia with the 2.0 have close to the same performance as the 2.0T honda, and priced them equally for similar options, I might be willing to consider one of those. My current car has a liftback, so while I do like it, it's not necessarily a must have for my next purchase. The rear visibility is always compromised with a liftback. I do enjoy RWD and don't necessarily need AWD where I live, so the kia gets a plus in that department, but it's not like I autocross or track my cars so the real difference is negligible. While I do like the looks of the stinger, I remember driving kias not so long ago that basically fall apart after a few years, they still have a reputation for that they are trying to shake. Hondas to me have always had a better reputation for making quality vehicles than kia has.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
1. RWD (Stinger) and FWD (Accord) vehicles handle very differently on a fundamental level.

2. I couldn't even consider buying a Kia. I can't help but associate the brand with destitute persons with atrocious credit scores and in-house financing with weekly payments. While I agree many aspects of Kia have improved by orders of magnitude in the last 20 years, my mind is still polluted with images of Kia Sephias from the 90s and 2000s.

·
Registered
771 Posts
1. RWD (Stinger) and FWD (Accord) vehicles handle very differently on a fundamental level.

2. I couldn't even consider buying a Kia. I can't help but associate the brand with destitute persons with atrocious credit scores and in-house financing with weekly payments. While I agree many aspects of Kia have improved by orders of magnitude in the last 20 years, my mind is still polluted with images of Kia Sephias from the 90s and 2000s.
Agreed, 100%. I like Kia's designs. They are actually decent cars. I drove a new Optima and came away impressed. Has their reliability improved? Yes. Are they more reliable or just as reliable as Honda? Well, if I'm betting with my hard earned money, I'd say not. My biggest concern: How reliable will the car be long term, like 200K and beyond. I'm guessing it would be very rare for a 200k Kia to have few problems.
My 2002 Accord had 190k with very few issues.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Agreed, 100%. I like Kia's designs. They are actually decent cars. I drove a new Optima and came away impressed. Has their reliability improved? Yes. Are they more reliable or just as reliable as Honda? Well, if I'm betting with my hard earned money, I'd say not. My biggest concern: How reliable will the car be long term, like 200K and beyond. I'm guessing it would be very rare for a 200k Kia to have few problems.
My 2002 Accord had 190k with very few issues.
I have no doubt there are real quality differences between makes - even if the gap has been closing.

But, one thing I've noticed over the years is that people who buy (or can only afford) say, a Kia Forte over a Honda Civic primarily because the Kia is less expensive, also tend to defer or neglect proper maintenance.

I mean, how many people a Chevrolet Malibu and change the oil when required, keep it washed and vacuumed, and are really proud to have it in their garage?

From where I stand, Honda Accord buyers follow the Maintenance Minder, keep their vehicles clean, and are proud of their smart purchases.

Even if both the Malibu and Accord were of equal quality, I guarantee you'll see people take better care of Accords and they'll be on a road a lot longer. The Malibus will eventually end up filthy, dented, scratched, with mismatched tires, sitting at a used-car lot that'll sell that same car 10 times because they keep having to repo it after each buyer misses the first weekly payment.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Put SH-AWD on the Accord and I'd definitely pick that over a RWD or AWD Stinger. :)

I'm cheap. I might go with the 2019 Insight but haven't crossed out the Accord Hybrid, depending on the sweetener. Usually financing rates are cheaper on hybrids.
Put SH-AWD on the accord and you might as well take acura out back to shoot it, it's really the big thing keeping the TLX unique. I'd also argue that honda is already #1 in the midsize segment so they probably don't see a need to raise the bar further, or are keeping something like that in their back pocket in case the competition does something crazy.

On top of long term longevity concerns with kia, I'd be more put off with actual running and upkeep costs compared to an accord. You're putting a turbo4 FWD tuned for regular fuel with pretty normal tires vs a RWD or AWD tuned for premium on big sport tires - the kia also has relatively poor fuel economy to start with for some reason. Maybe where you live gas isn't too expensive but up here in canadaland it's over $5/gal for regular already. If I didn't care about fuel economy and was looking at the bigger engine option for the stinger I'd probably be comparing it to a TLX with the proven and loved J35, not an accord.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Put SH-AWD on the accord and you might as well take acura out back to shoot it, it's really the big thing keeping the TLX unique. I'd also argue that honda is already #1 in the midsize segment so they probably don't see a need to raise the bar further, or are keeping something like that in their back pocket in case the competition does something crazy.

On top of long term longevity concerns with kia, I'd be more put off with actual running and upkeep costs compared to an accord. You're putting a turbo4 FWD tuned for regular fuel with pretty normal tires vs a RWD or AWD tuned for premium on big sport tires - the kia also has relatively poor fuel economy to start with for some reason. Maybe where you live gas isn't too expensive but up here in canadaland it's over $5/gal for regular already. If I didn't care about fuel economy and was looking at the bigger engine option for the stinger I'd probably be comparing it to a TLX with the proven and loved J35, not an accord.
I know the SH-AWD and the DCT are the only things separating the Acura from the Honda line up. :) Because of the timing and competition, it's rather odd that Honda gets most of the newer technologies (creature comforts) first compared to the Acura counterparts.

I guess the question should be around TLX vs Stinger.

I live in the GTA / Toronto so I'm thinking about the Accord Hybrid or Insight but it seems I should wait for the MMC, if I can or just picked up the first model year cheap by taking over a lease. Subconsciously, we've been buying the first MMC models - 11 Accord coupe and 16 RAV4 Hybrid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was about to get Lexus IS until I saw the new accord. Accord was boring for a long time until now. durability and maintenance cost are top notch. I am researching to learn more about the accord and saw Autoguide comparing accord with 4 other sedan. they rated Stinger number one and Accord second.

any new accord owners compared/considered Stinger before you made your purchase? why did you pick accord instead of the Stinger? thanks

Autoguide video
EDIT: ok, so I didn't watch the video just saw the text in your original post, but now realize this magazine put them all in the lineup, but still very odd...

No offense, but I hope you aren't comparing the accord to a stinger? That's like comparing an apple to a watermelon.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
EDIT: ok, so I didn't watch the video just saw the text in your original post, but now realize this magazine put them all in the lineup, but still very odd...

No offense, but I hope you aren't comparing the accord to a stinger? That's like comparing an apple to a watermelon.
{bold added}

That is a ridiculous statement.

·
Rhymes with Mick & Quick
1,670 Posts
I was very intrigued by Stinger on paper. . . . until I found out that it can't be equipped with 6MT. Off the list, next.

I would be open to buying a Kia, though. It's tough for people our vintage because we remember the times when Hyundai and Kia were a huge joke - like Yugo before them - that they are POS cars that poor people buy. Well, that used to be entirely true. However, they have slowly but surely improved in so many respects over the last 30 years or thereabouts. Even 7 years ago, I was blown away by how good/nice Hyundai Genesis V8 was.

Reactions: Markus

·
Registered
32 Posts
Which one of you mods is deleting posts without any explanation?
Apparently my honesty and candidness is too much for one of the mods.

I repeat, TO THE MODERATOR(S), please identify which forum rule I am failing to comply with that warrants changing applicable and specific new thread titles as well as deleting my posts.

·
HK Moderator
14,264 Posts
Apparently my honesty and candidness is too much for one of the mods.

I repeat, TO THE MODERATOR(S), please identify which forum rule I am failing to comply with that warrants changing applicable and specific new thread titles as well as deleting my posts.
Honesty!?!?

Adam, no one deleted any of your posts! I just looked up your usage history- everything you posted is still here.

As for changing your thread title- look under your thread's first post. It clearly states that I changed your thread title and the reason for the change. This is not a "click-baity" forum, if you want to post, post what the thread is about. If you don't, we have the option to modify or delete it.

If this offends you, I can recommend a few dying Honda forums where moderators don't care what you label the thread. For example, on my Nissan forum members post threads called "Nude pics of Kate Upton" and then when you click, expecting to see nude pics of Kate Upton, you are greeted with "Ha ha i needs help with my batry and tho get more clicks dis way lol".

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was very intrigued by Stinger on paper. . . . until I found out that it can't be equipped with 6MT. Off the list, next.

I would be open to buying a Kia, though. It's tough for people our vintage because we remember the times when Hyundai and Kia were a huge joke - like Yugo before them - that they are POS cars that poor people buy. Well, that used to be entirely true. However, they have slowly but surely improved in so many respects over the last 30 years or thereabouts. Even 7 years ago, I was blown away by how good/nice Hyundai Genesis V8 was.
I believe THIS was the car that finally put them on the map

Attachments

·
Corvalis TTX
5,578 Posts

The Hyundai Genesis sedan is one hell of a good car. I'm seriously thinking of a new Genesis to replace my S4 when it comes off lease. I had an AWD V6 sedan as a rental last year and I was really surprised at the high quality of the car.

My wife and I just flew to Toronto (getting my plane started in cold Ottawa weather was an interesting process) for the weekend and I picked up a Kia Optima as a rental car. It's essentially brand new (300 miles on it) and so far I'm quite impressed with it. I have yet to drive a 10th gen Accord as comparison, however.

·
HK Moderator
14,264 Posts
My wife and I just flew to Toronto (getting my plane started in cold Ottawa weather was an interesting process)
Bet you didn't need much runway.

Reactions: Markus

·
Corvalis TTX
5,578 Posts
Reactions: RickBlaine

·
Registered
97 Posts
Word of warning, if you are set on an Accord - do not drive a Stinger.

I was already to buy a 2.0 touring yesterday but decided to check out the Stinger first.
Wow, I really did not expect to like this car at all - but I loved it.
It's much better looking in person, but the selling point is how it drives.
If you like to push a car, this is a much better car than the Accord.
On my Accord 2.0, I continually encountered some mild torque steer with the traction control coming on under hard starts.
Coming from currently driving an AWD car, I could really tell I was in a FWD.

I drove a RWD 4cyl stinger and it was really nice, great acceleration, very comfortable seats.
Here's my + & - between the two (yes, all my opinions and many will disagree)

-Stinger interior is nice, but I think the Accord's is still a step up
-Center interface screen is nicer looking on Accord though Stinger's is not bad
-Seats are much better in Stinger - more supportive and better lumbar support
-I like how the exterior looks of the Stinger better + the hatch is super usable
-Stinger is a run away win in handling if you like to drive aggressively and push a car
-Accord Touring was more quiet on the highway, but I think the Stinger's tires where over inflated or the wheels not quite balanced contributing to some additional road noise. Really need to take another one out before I conclude for sure.
- Accord is a better value $ wise - to get in a load 4cyl rwd stinger you are looking at $40,000 and it's still missing some minor features that the 2.0 touring has but nothing that is really a game changer. Adding AWD adds $2,200 but that's not a fair comparison since you can't get it on an Accord.
- It's actually rated slower than the accord 2.0 but it doesn't feel like it at all. Off the line stinger feels faster as there is no torque steer and the traction control doesn't come on to control it. It drives more confidently

I think a better comparison is the Stinger vs. TLX - and in that comparison, the Stinger wins by miles .....

·
Registered
33 Posts
2 cents from me?

I also considered the Stinger (AWD, V6 etc) vs an Accord and ended up in one of the last few V6 2017 touring. Coming from a Mazdaspeed 3 that I drove since 2010.

Partly I went accord cause of timing. The Mazda developed additional problems and the wife constantly complain and get freaked out in it (so it's loud but I can make it loud at low speed because I select gear, doesn't mean we are going to crash). And they didn't even have a Stinger to test drive around here in Markham.

The biggest reason was basically logical. Sure the Stinger is the better driver's car. I am sure I will have to keep reminding myself not to over cook a corner or an off ramp in a Stinger. And I'll have some fun when the conditions are right in the Stinger. It's just that most of the time, like 90 plus percent, I will not be doing anything I can't in an Accord. The 10% is basically just accelerating in slippery conditions, and accelerating from a stop. Any other performance benefit from the brembo brakes and associated sporty bits only really matters at a track and I honestly just don't have time for that at the moment. And if I do the Stinger's not the right car either.

The final thing is while I enjoy the egging on feeling of the Speed 3, as I got older there were just more times I wanted to relax after work. I mean I spend whole day being on edge in a very competitive environment navigating my team though constant schedule changes and playing annoying political games. I just found it was time to just get something I didn't feel compelled to drive the wheels off. And so far I have to admit I am less of an a-hole driver in the Accord by far than in the Mazda.

So that's me, that's why I didn't get a a Stinger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Canada, the Stinger is only available in AWD and thus Stinger >>> Accord.

41 - 60 of 314 Posts