Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late night, day before yesterday, we experienced bad rain and as I drove home in my sport from my store to my motel (1hr and 10 mins away), I hit a large amount of water. There is only one road to go back to my motel. I would have to drive another 30 minutes and go through another town. Anyways, the road where I hit the water is a sharp left turn which also dips in the middle. So all the water had built up there and there are no street lights in that area. As I drove through and came out, I noticed that the check engine light came on and the fog lights started acting up. So a little bit ahead is another gas station and I stop there under the canopy and let the car sit, off. After about 20 mins talking to the clerk and enjoying a cappuccino, I come back to the car and crank it. The check engine light went away, but the fog lights were still messed up. I'm thinking, its just fog lights, they can be fixed later and I wanted to see my family. So I drove the remaining 50 mins home and as I pulled into my motels canopy, the check engine light came on. Well, this was at 11 P.M. . So I would have to wait till morning to come. So the next morning, I went out to the car with my brother and he said something smells bad. I'd smelt it too. Sure enough there was water on the bottom of the driver side. I took the mats out and shop vac the water out. I took it to the dealership where I bought the car which is also an hour and 40 mins away. There is one dealership on the way, but they were super busy. So I get to the dealership and they run a diagnostic on it and an hour later they call me to the shop where my car was and said "Your fog lights are working as of now, the check engine light isn't on and the computer hasn't logged that it was on. (At this point I pulled out my phone and showed him a picture of my check engine light), and as far as the mat goes, since you were in that high of water, water is bound to get in somewhere." They vacuumed my car and got some water out and stuck some scent in there. However, I have my doubts. I have a picture of the check engine light. So I went home and parked my car under the canopy and opened the hood and got some towels and started pat drying anything I saw wet. Is there a need to take it to another dealer?

*Note about dealership - It's the place where I bought the car, and whenever I have a problem I bring it in and they say there isn't a problem but the problem I have gets fixed and we go about. My old 9th gen had a problem where the left whole headlight wouldn't come on. Get to them, show them a picture, and then they come back and say nothing was wrong but my problem is fixed. Sounds sketchy right?

Pics below. (Sorry for the blurriness my Droid Turbo has a lot of problems trying to focus a lot.)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Dealers aren't likely to do anything if nothing is broken. Water intrusion is difficult to deal with so for them there's not too much they can do. You could try another dealer the next time you have to take it in but I find that there is so much turnover at dealerships that it's difficult to come up with "blanket" statements about the quality of the service department. It all depends on who works on your car that day.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. Also, call Honda corporate, tell them about your dealer experience with them and and send them the pictures. Explain to them in great detail about all your issues with the car and how you feel they have not been addressed.

Lastly, if you see a large body of water that looks sketchy, use a bit more common sense, exercise some caution and go a different route. After all, you wouldn't want to mess up your car on purpose by driving it through a pond, would you?

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Just be aware if they do find damage you will not likely get a repair under warranty, this is water damage and only your insurance company will pay.

Reactions: StevieD

·
2015 Honda Accord EX-L I4
95 Posts
Never ever drive through standing water no matter how deep you think it is. Watching the news about all the flooding in Texas, I'm sure there were a lot of people caught off guard by the flooding, but there were probably just as many that had no reason to be out driving in that weather and also assuming they can drive through any amount of water.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would suggest going somewhere like Harbor Freight and buying a OBD II Code Reader. They are really affordable these days and can be bought for under $50. This way the next time your check engine light comes on you can get the actual codes instead of just a picture of the light.

Reactions: 08EX-L

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
I would suggest going somewhere like Harbor Freight and buying a OBD II Code Reader. They are really affordable these days and can be bought for under $50. This way the next time your check engine light comes on you can get the actual codes instead of just a picture of the light.
This makes sense for sure, I own one.. best $32 I ever spent.

I'm surprised the code wasn't stored in memory though.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
After about 20 mins talking to the clerk and enjoying a cappuccino,
How was the cappuccino?

You wanted a different colored car anyway, maybe they will total it for you.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
As 08EX-L said, this is not a Honda issue as in a warranty claim, but an insurance claim. I would be on the phone with my agent and at least notify them this happened. That is a lot of water in the drivers footwell. It may have gotten in the fuse panel on that side or any of the controller boxes in the console. At a minimum the carpet should be removed and the car inspected for water damage. If you add a little heat to that with rolled up windows in the Sunshine you are going to have a mold issue in a couple of days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts