Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Honda Accord 2004
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Honda Accord. It has 205,000 miles on it and has been a great car for us. My teen drives the car now. With the costs of used cars going up I am wondering if we should just repair it for 1600. Any advice would be appreciated.

· Registered
2004 i4 5AT 4dr
90 Posts
I have a 2004 Honda Accord. It has 205,000 miles on it and has been a great car for us. My teen drives the car now. With the costs of used cars going up I am wondering if we should just repair it for 1600. Any advice would be appreciated.
I changed mine two months ago. My car was wobbling above 40km/h and it was super annoying. Felt dangerous at high speeds as well. Mechanic charged me $1000CAD for a refurbished one including labor. If you think your car will last you another couple of years you might as well get it fixed.
FYI I wouldn’t drive it with a bad steering rack. It really feels unsafe.

Here is the video before it was fixed:

· Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
818 Posts
Why do they want to replace the rack and pinion? If it's just leaking, I'd try replacing the fluid with genuine Honda power steering fluid first. My rack was leaking, but after I pumped all the fluid out with a hand pump and replaced it with new Honda power steering fluid, it stopped leaking.

· 8th Gen Believer
5,648 Posts
Do an internet search. You might find a lower mileage rack from a boneyard.

· Registered
Honda Accord 2004
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I changed mine two months ago. My car was wobbling above 40km/h and it was super annoying. Felt dangerous at high speeds as well. Mechanic charged me $1000CAD for a refurbished one including labor. If you think your car will last you another couple of years you might as well get it fixed. FYI I wouldn’t drive it with a bad steering rack. It really feels unsafe. Here is the video before it was fixed:
Thank you for responding. My mechanic replaced the power steering fluid with Honda fluid. Right now it seems to be doing OK. The steering wheel wasn’t even turning unless you used a great amount of force.

· Registered
Honda Accord 2004
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do they want to replace the rack and pinion? If it's just leaking, I'd try replacing the fluid with genuine Honda power steering fluid first. My rack was leaking, but after I pumped all the fluid out with a hand pump and replaced it with new Honda power steering fluid, it stopped leaking.
It was really difficult to turn the steering wheel. My mechanic did what you suggested and replaced the fluid with Honda power steer fluid for now. So far everything‘s been great🤞🏻

1 - 6 of 6 Posts