361 - 380 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Following up again to tire and wheel sizes. Sounds like there is variance between manufacturers and it might make all of this moot, but I'm still curious from a conceptual standpoint. Playing around with the Willtheyfit configurator I dont quite understand how the tire width changes the diameter of two 40 profile tires (moving from a 8.5" to 9.5"). I thought the profile related to the hight of the side wall, or the ratio between the tire diameter and the wheel diameter.

This comparison is the stock 235/40 R 19 on 19/8.5 ET50 with wider 255/40 R 19 on 19x9.5 ET40. The wider tire circumference is +2.3% bigger. I thought this might have to do with sidewall stretch (not sure if that is the right term), but the graphic (assuming correct) shows the wider 40 profile tire having more stretch which in my head would reduce the diameter.

In this comparison the stock tire is compared to a wider but lower profile 265/35 R 19 on 19x9.5 ET40. The circumference delta here is -0.37%. So while the wider tire is lower profile, the sidewalls sit more square and appear to have the same effective sidewall thickness.

Will a 265/35 tire have similar comfort / bump absorption characteristics as 235/40? I assume the 255/40 will be slightly better than both of those due to its larger sidewall. Or are all these so close that the differences are negligible?

What is the range of circumference deltas (speedo error) that you should stay within? +/- 1%, 2%, 5%? It will obviously impact the speedo reading, but I'm also concerned with the TCS, ABS, TPMS, and other automated systems on the car.

They might be a little overkill for the Accord, but I'm leaning towards Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S if anyone has opinions

Appreciate the useful information everyone, I feel like I'm starting to understand all of this.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Following up again to tire and wheel sizes. Sounds like there is variance between manufacturers and it might make all of this moot, but I'm still curious from a conceptual standpoint. Playing around with the Willtheyfit configurator I dont quite understand how the tire width changes the diameter of two 40 profile tires (moving from a 8.5" to 9.5"). I thought the profile related to the hight of the side wall, or the ratio between the tire diameter and the wheel diameter.

This comparison is the stock 235/40 R 19 on 19/8.5 ET50 with wider 255/40 R 19 on 19x9.5 ET40. The wider tire circumference is +2.3% bigger. I thought this might have to do with sidewall stretch (not sure if that is the right term), but the graphic (assuming correct) shows the wider 40 profile tire having more stretch which in my head would reduce the diameter.

In this comparison the stock tire is compared to a wider but lower profile 265/35 R 19 on 19x9.5 ET40. The circumference delta here is -0.37%. So while the wider tire is lower profile, the sidewalls sit more square and appear to have the same effective sidewall thickness.

Will a 265/35 tire have similar comfort / bump absorption characteristics as 235/40? I assume the 255/40 will be slightly better than both of those due to its larger sidewall. Or are all these so close that the differences are negligible?

What is the range of circumference deltas (speedo error) that you should stay within? +/- 1%, 2%, 5%? It will obviously impact the speedo reading, but I'm also concerned with the TCS, ABS, TPMS, and other automated systems on the car.

They might be a little overkill for the Accord, but I'm leaning towards Goodyear Eagle Exhilarate or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S if anyone has opinions

Appreciate the useful information everyone, I feel like I'm starting to understand all of this.
I dont know much about tires/wheels. I did some basic research and found wheels that work for my 2020 Accord Hybrid. I bought 19"x9" wheels +35 offset and 245/40/19 tires and (to me) looks great, fits great. Some of you may suggest to lower the car which I "get it" but its done, I'm not making any changes.

I'm going to guess that a 255 or 265 width tires are too wide and rub when you turn (Im not sure but maybe be ok with a offset, but way above my paygrade)

Absolutely NO disrespect meant, but I think you are overthinking things! Determine the size wheel you want and what's available for that size. I found in my recent search for wheels I couldn't find the wheel I wanted (numerous times) and had to find another type of wheel - start the process all over again!!! It was Frustrating for sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Absolutely NO disrespect meant, but I think you are overthinking things! Determine the size wheel you want and what's available for that size. I found in my recent search for wheels I couldn't find the wheel I wanted (numerous times) and had to find another type of wheel - start the process all over again!!! It was Frustrating for sure.
No offense taken at all. It's the engineer part of my brain kicking in where I learn by going through the numbers. So I probably am overthinking it, but that's how my brain works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haha, I should have known you were an engineer!!!! You guys definitely look at all angles (not a bad thing for sure) Overthinking this process will drive you nuts. Sometimes not really understanding how it all works is ok, as long as you know it works and is safe and good to go. I wish you luck in your search!

·
Registered
285 Posts
So you are gonna get a bunch of different answers from everyone. But im not sure if anybody has ran or have a set of rims that have each of those different sizes to give you real characteristics of how they ride and feel. I can tell you about the 235/40, someone else can tell you about 255/40, and another about 265/35. You know what im saying. And say we all say the tires ride great. Unless someone has all of them its gonna be hard to decide. There is a tire calculator i look at on 1010tires.com It even gives you the speedo difference. But ill say what i think is even though the comparable overall size would be close to the same. A smaller aspect tire might make for a harsher ride. The tires themselves although different sizes and diameters, when done right are the same height. So your trying to get a tire that is closest to the same height as your stock wheels so the speed isnt thrown off. Comparably done a 235/40 -19 and a 265/35-20 at the end are the same height or close to it. This is an example... im just trying to sound smart. LOL

·
More cars, more problems
70 Posts
So clean! What are you lowered on? You may have just convinced me to stick with 19’s instead of upsizing to 20’s!

They're Tein Flex-Z. Set as they were out-of-box right now, but I think I might raise the front a touch.

·
Registered
30 Posts

They're Tein Flex-Z. Set as they were out-of-box right now, but I think I might raise the front a touch.
Any comments to ride? I hate my dw springs and even got the tein shock with adjustability and it still bounces over everything... Miss the feel of stock suspension

Nice! Any rubbing issues with that offset? The 19x9.5 that I am looking at have +35.
I have the same specs and no rubbing, only had one case but that was the speed I took a turn with a dip. Didn't touch fender but the liner.

·
More cars, more problems
70 Posts
Nice! Any rubbing issues with that offset? The 19x9.5 that I am looking at have +35.
Nope, wheel fitment is fine. After an alignment was done it was spot on for stock too, which means you might want to consider a pair of adjustable rear camber arms if you plan on lowering, otherwise rear camber will be pretty aggressive -2 to -3, which may look sweet but your tires will take a beating.

Any comments to ride?
Honestly, it's pretty compliant. Small potholes or recessed manhole covers are comparable to stock. Since I'm lowered now I take railroad crossings a bit slower out of caution, but the shock is not unlike it was before. The main difference in my opinion is that the coilovers are louder than stock: I can hear the rear ones pretty clearly doing their thing. I wouldn't rate it as rattletrap, but it's definitely there. Having said that, I also had front/rear swaybars done at the same time and my tires are now 35 profile vs stock 40, so that may contribute to more road noise too. Also, I have not messed with the damping since I'm pretty pleased with it as is, but I might try out reducing the rear a click or two.

Having said that, though, if there was a good set of Bilsteins that could accommodate lowering springs I probably would've gone with that instead of a full blown coilover, which I think is a little overkill for a family sedan. Only reason I went with them is that I didn't want to run lowering springs on stock dampers and blow them out prematurely.

Edit: Another thing about coilovers + 10G Accord: the holes in the strut towers are too small to be able to adjust the camber bolts (if you have 'em). Thankfully, it came from the factory set within stock limits.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was looking at the flex z but hesitant based on what's gone on so far in my journey to lower the car.

I had a 3g TL on spring and type-s shocks and it was perfect, took my chances for something similar and it did not work out the same so now time for coils. At least then it can be a paired spring/shock combo

Reactions: TGHI

·
More cars, more problems
70 Posts
At least then it can be a paired spring/shock combo
Yep, that was my thoughts exactly. Maybe by the time I wear the Teins out, there'll be some decent paired spring/shock combos out there.

For comparison, my 900 has Bilstein B6s lowered on Lesjofors springs and it's better than stock in almost every conceivable way.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Put my winter set on and they told me its time to trash the OEMs

Officially putting the time in searching for new set

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got my wheels installed, just in time for me to take them off in a month for winter :(
View attachment 524702
Work Emotion M8R Bronze (Deep Concave) 19x9.5 +38 w/ Falken Azenis FK510 255/35
Hi so i am going to upgrade my wheels after winter as well but i am curious, what was the hub size on you wheels did you need to use a hub adapter to make it work ?

·
More cars, more problems
70 Posts
Yep. Mine are 73.3mm vs the Accord's hub of 64.1mm. Obviously, make sure you don't buy wheels with a smaller bore (though I doubt there's many wheels that are above 17" with a smaller hub than 64.1mm, but hey) . Any wheel/tire shop should have the right adapter rings to size down to what you need.

361 - 380 of 384 Posts