Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't meant to be a classified ad in disguise I promise.

I have the side moldings on my car, and I don't like the way they look, so I'm going to take them off. I was just going to pitch them, until I found out that the retail price of each piece is over $200 from Honda.

Are these something that in theory, someone might actually buy, or no? I mean it seems like a toss-it thing, except for the absurd price.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Your instincs are on the money, so to speak.

I get the protection-against-dents aspect, but IMHO, without exception, stick-on door moldings look unattractive, possibly because of the way in which they are positioned. Almost invariably, that positioning is at odds with some aspect of the "character line" of the door design. so the addition looks awkward and, well, add-on.

That said, almost certainly there are those who think they either look great or they want the (meager) protect they might provide. Might as well offer them for sale.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I agree totally with the previous poster. Could not have stated it any better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

Ya, the Honda dealer who's fiche I was looking at had them at $231 EACH. Ya that's right, over $900 for the set. Yikes. I'd pay someone $900 to take them off if necessary.

EDIT: I see that CHH has them at the bargain price of $150 per piece.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
Somebody will always be willing to pay something for everything. I sold some used spark plugs for $15 and saved them from a landfill for a while. No harm in putting up an ad and seeing if anyone goes for it.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I didn't order the moldings on my new 08 Accord......who needs stinking moldings. Naturally a week later a shopping cart slammed into it and made a large ding, exactly where the molding would have protected the car. I had the ding fixed, had them put on the molding, and six years later (took delivery in '07) and I have never received any dings since. You hardly notice the molding is even there, at least on my black car, and it is streamlined and follows the flow of the vehicle.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't order the moldings on my new 08 Accord......who needs stinking moldings. Naturally a week later a shopping cart slammed into it and made a large ding, exactly where the molding would have protected the car. I had the ding fixed, had them put on the molding, and six years later (took delivery in '07) and I have never received any dings since. You hardly notice the molding is even there, at least on my black car, and it is streamlined and follows the flow of the vehicle.
That's cool if you like them. I notice them every time I look at the car...just think they look bad. Then again, I'm not fortunate enough to have a black Accord...wish I did though.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I put them on a few years back, in 09 I think. Got them from CHH and installed them myself. They saved the doors more than a few times. Also, the added stiffness from the side moldings helped with the speaker output. The door outer panel doesn't vibrate as much anymore when I hit the volume and there is noticeably less sound distortion.
However the car sides are busier with the added lines of the moldings in addition to the character line of the car below the windows.
Overall though I'm happy I got them!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I don't think they look bad if they're relatively thin and body colored. I definitely want them on my car. They look much better than the row of dents and dings you are sure to get pretty quickly without them.

What I do HATE is how they used to put black moldings on all the Accords no matter what color the car is. They did this with old BMWs too. Black moldings on a non-black car is just ugly, and I'll never figure out why car manufacturers did this to so many cars. I always suspected Honda did this trying to copy BMW. Over the years I notice a lot of style design that Honda has done trying to copy BMW.

Although I love the 4th gen coupe body-style, still one of my all time favorite Accord body-styles, my 4th gen white 91 Accord has the big ugly black moldings all around and I've always hated that look. I remember in 92 (also 4th gen) they started making the higher trim level SE and EX with thinner body colored moldings which looked much better IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought my daughter a black 12 exl coupe and I had the guy add side moldings. I am not 100% convinced they look better but with black I don't want to see the dings. She likes the trunk wing spoiler so I added one of those, but I like the deck lid spoiler better. It also has a roof spoiler and a sunroof spoiler. Needless to say the car is a little busier than the standard 2dr coupe.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I don't think they look bad if they're relatively thin and body colored. I definitely want them on my car. They look much better than the row of dents and dings you are sure to get pretty quickly without them.

What I do HATE is how they used to put black moldings on all the Accords no matter what color the car is. They did this with old BMWs too. Black moldings on a non-black car is just ugly, and I'll never figure out why car manufacturers did this to so many cars. I always suspected Honda did this trying to copy BMW. Over the years I notice a lot of style design that Honda has done trying to copy BMW.

Although I love the 4th gen coupe body-style, still one of my all time favorite Accord body-styles, my 4th gen white 91 Accord has the big ugly black moldings all around and I've always hated that look. I remember in 92 (also 4th gen) they started making the higher trim level SE and EX with thinner body colored moldings which looked much better IMO.
Take a look around. All the car manufacturers are coping various styling aspects from each other.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts