Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'18 Accord Hybrid Touring
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am concerned about the installation quality of the rubber gaskets that seal the side mirrors to the door. I had the dealer inspect mine during my last visit, but they said it was fine and sent me on my way. I still disagree and am wondering how common this issue is, or if anyone has knowledge on how to loosen the mirror so I can reset the gaskets tighter. I would like to improve the seal before winter time.

I have 3 pictures to share. One picture shows my driver side mirror with a tuck and a gap, you can even see through to the foam insulation beneath it that should be protected, this may even be the cause of an intermittent whistle I hear at certain speeds. A second picture shows my passenger side mirror with the vertical rubber seal pinched behind some metal that should also be protected. Third, while I was at the dealer comparing quality on similar cars, is a picture of a passenger side mirror with a folded down end and some fibers. While this was the worst example I could find at the dealer, which also happened to be on the showroom floor, they almost all had those hairy fibers stuck in them.

Attachments

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
While I don't have the mirror buzzing noise complaint others have posted, I was wondering if the mirrors were replaced proactively, albeit sloppily, because of that service bulletin. I probably never would have noticed if it wasn't for two other rattles that had to be addressed. So it got me inspecting for other quality issues. I sure hope I didn't get a Friday car.

·
Reverse
142 Posts
HamByte,
Mine don't look too much different than yours. It might be worthwhile to try to reinstall the mirrors and see if something can be done. Subscribing to this thread. :smile

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @MSMV1, you inspired me to give it a go this morning.

While I can't say this is the recommended procedure, I was able to reposition the mirrors without taking the door trim completely off. Although I might have heard something plastic drop down on the passenger door side, if I hear a new rattle I may have to pull it apart anyways. Here was my process with pictures attached.

Tools: 10mm ratchet and some skinny fingers.

Step 1: The tweeter trim is wedged behind the door trim, so start by pulling the corner of the door trim away slightly, maybe 2 pops to give enough room.

Step 2: Pull the tweeter trim out slightly with 2 pops, it won't go very far as there is not much wire slack. Pull on the door trim enough to finagle the tweeter in such a way that you can get your skinny fingers to release the wire connector. The hardest part is trying push in the tiny plastic tab on the wire connector.

Step 3: Use the 10mm ratchet to loosen the 3 side mirror bolts. They are factory tight, so be careful not to ding the paint when the bolt gives. The mirror wire connector is down in the door, so if you needed to disconnect the mirror you might be able to reach it, but I left it attached for my needs.

Step 4: Now you can either just hand loosen the nuts, or take the nuts completely off. Be careful not to drop the nuts into the door, or drop the mirror from the car. With the mirror loose, you can then fix the rubber gaskets and reposition the mirror to the best of your ability.

Step 5: Reassemble. Tighten the 3 bolts, reconnect the tweeter wire, pop the tweeter trim back in, and pop the door trim back in.

Afterthoughts: Overall, I was able to bend the rubber gaskets and reposition the side mirrors to give a much better seal. I found the driver side mirror have more play to it, which was also the side that needed more attention. The top corner of the mirror still don't sit as tight to the door as I would like, because the bolt is too far away and under it is just empty space and some foam insulation. I would love to hear any ideas to further improve that top corner seal.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello, is it possible to get a replacement gasket for the mirrors? mine is breaking into pcs as the rubber has hardened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts