Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I noticed that I'm feeling a significant vibration through the steering wheel at 1200 rpm, whether going up through 1200 or coming down through 1200. I have a 2013 EX-L CVT i4. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? This is yet another problem with my 2013, and it's not even a year old.

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
its the judder...check the TSB thread.

·
Banned
5,775 Posts
Today, I noticed that I'm feeling a significant vibration through the steering wheel at 1200 rpm, whether going up through 1200 or coming down through 1200. I have a 2013 EX-L CVT i4. Anyone have an idea what might be going on? This is yet another problem with my 2013, and it's not even a year old.
Need more details....when does it occur?

How much throttle input are you giving when this occurs?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Is ECON mode on or off??

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need more details....when does it occur?

How much throttle input are you giving when this occurs?
I notice it while driving pretty much any time, on any kind of street or freeway. An acceleration, I notice it with very little throttle. Today, I'll see if it's noticeable with more throttle.

I mentioned in another reply that it's like a fairly high frequency buzzing in the steering wheel, though nothing audible. The first time it happened, I thought it was something in the pavement, but then it happened repeatedly even on very smooth pavement.

·
Banned
784 Posts
Have the dealer check your engine mounts for any cracks: Side and rear engine mounts. With your engine hood up, have someone rev the engine from idle to 1200 rpm or a little higher then watch the engine movement.

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have the dealer check your engine mounts for any cracks: Side and rear engine mounts. With your engine hood up, have someone rev the engine from idle to 1200 rpm or a little higher then watch the engine movement.
Will do. Seems like a while back, someone here mentioned engine mount cracks with their 2013 Accord. I'll see if I can find that post.

·
Wanda Honda
458 Posts
does it have that wobbly feeling when you're driving and you can feel it through your seats like you're going up and down?

·
Registered
243 Posts
When im crusing at 40 mph with light throttle input, the tach sits around 1200 rpm and I feel the vibrations through the steering wheel like the OP mentioned. If I take my foot off the pedal or push down a little harder to get the engine to spin up to 1500 rpm the vibrations go away.

Id say its normal and its the CVT's effort to be in the highest ratio possible in order to save fuel. But by doing so it is bogging down the engine and causing the vibrations.

OP: try driving in sport mode, do the vibrations go away?

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When im crusing at 40 mph with light throttle input, the tach sits around 1200 rpm and I feel the vibrations through the steering wheel like the OP mentioned. If I take my foot off the pedal or push down a little harder to get the engine to spin up to 1500 rpm the vibrations go away.

Id say its normal and its the CVT's effort to be in the highest ratio possible in order to save fuel. But by doing so it is bogging down the engine and causing the vibrations.

OP: try driving in sport mode, do the vibrations go away?
I noticed today that it does it at about 20 mph with my EX-L. That seems to be where the tach is at about 1200 rpm (very light throttle input).

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The thing with mine is that I didn't notice it until a couple of days ago. I'm a detail-oriented guy so it seems that I would have noticed it before now. But maybe not...I don't know.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
it's not bad engineering. it's superb engineering getting you the best gear ratio for the rpm and throttle input resulting in optimal fuel economy.

you should be very impressed that a cvt exists as nice as this one, that your direct injection gas engine is as quiet as it is, that your k24 engine block is as balanced as it is and your miracle of double VTC performs flawlessly.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have it too, in my manual sport. High frequency thrumming through the steering column. It's even more prevalent when engine braking from 3k rpm down (though you prob don't get this in the cvt). I vote this is not good engineering.

·
Banned
72 Posts
IF it is any consolation, all the 2006 I4 Accords had a vibration at idle. I promptly went back and traded it in for the first V6 that didn't vibrate at idle and it wound up being the second V6 I test drove. As you can see, that little blip did not deter that Accord from being the best ever so it is not bad engineering yet.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The real Honda cars used to have three padels

(Clutch)-(Brake)-(Accel)

Although other non-US markets, 2013 comes with 6speed auto or manual.
CVT is the biggest BS sold to the US market

·
Austin, TX
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IF it is any consolation, all the 2006 I4 Accords had a vibration at idle. I promptly went back and traded it in for the first V6 that didn't vibrate at idle and it wound up being the second V6 I test drove. As you can see, that little blip did not deter that Accord from being the best ever so it is not bad engineering yet.
Incidentally, my 2013 i4 has had a severe vibration at idle since day one. My 3 other Accords had none whatsoever. Neither did my 2009 Civic.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts