Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in some areas it drops out constantly while others are infrequent. Definitely caused from the camera installation since I only had dropouts in parking garages/underpasses before. Has anyone experienced this issue or know shielding I could use to fix? I'm going to try relocating the camera so it's not directly under the antenna.

Btw, the dashcam is the Vantrue OnDash S1

·
Elvira - the car
3,537 Posts
So in some areas it drops out constantly while others are infrequent. Definitely caused from the camera installation since I only had dropouts in parking garages/underpasses before. Has anyone experienced this issue or know shielding I could use to fix? I'm going to try relocating the camera so it's not directly under the antenna.

Btw, the dashcam is the Vantrue OnDash S1
Have you already moved the rear facing camera ? What, if anything, changed.

You may be inductively coupling the power cord camera signal into the Sirius XM antenna. If the SXM cable is running parallel to the power cable from the camera it may couple and detune the SXM antenna. That SXM cable "should" be shielded but - lowest bidder thing.

Rather than move the camera since it's already stuck to the glass I presume, try rerouting the rear facing camera's cable to dress it on the side opposite the SXM cable route.

I don't know the route of the SXM cable to the antenna (passenger side C pillar to roof ?) but if you routed the camera cable on the pass side to middle of the rear window re-dress that cable to the driver side. Does that make sense? At least you'd not need to remove the camera.

That 20 foot power cable "might" be acting as an antenna from the front camera electronics inducing itself into the SXM system. Detuned SXM antenna will NOT receive as designed and possibly cause drop outs.

Does the camera use Bluetooth to transmit the signal to your phone or a receiver?

Bluetooth frequency is 2.4 - 2.485 GHz and Sirius XM is 2.332 - 2.345 GHz so there's that too.

To keep antennas from coupling practice is to keep them a 1/2 wavelength apart so at 2.4 GHz or so, the wavelength is about 5.0 inches. A movement of 2.5" or more may solve the coupling.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. No, I haven't moved it yet. When I routed the cable I did notice a bundle of wires in plastic sheath running along the passenger side door sills so perhaps the antenna was in that. The power cable for the rear dashcam was run along side that sheath in a few places.

The camera doesn't use bluetooth at all.

The good news is I have a spare cable I can run on the driver side to see if that fixes the issue. (I RMA'd my camera for another issue so have extra cables from the replacement now)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I ran the cable on the driver's side but didn't conceal it just to see if I had any dropouts. I drove around the block and had 2-3 dropouts :(

I guess 'll have to move the rear camera and see how that affects the dropouts.

·
Elvira - the car
3,537 Posts
So I ran the cable on the driver's side but didn't conceal it just to see if I had any dropouts. I drove around the block and had 2-3 dropouts :(

I guess 'll have to move the rear camera and see how that affects the dropouts.
Just to be sure it is the rear camera location is it possible to remove the cable connection to that camera completely and see if SXM drops?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, when the rear camera is disconnected from the front camera SXM reception is fine. I have a second rear camera from my RMA since I only sent back the front camera. I can move that around with some temporary double sided tape to troubleshoot.

·
Elvira - the car
3,537 Posts
Yeah, when the rear camera is disconnected from the front camera SXM reception is fine. I have a second rear camera from my RMA since I only sent back the front camera. I can move that around with some temporary double sided tape to troubleshoot.
Sounds like you've got this covered. Sounds like an electronic interference of the rear camera lousing up the reception.

Keep us informed what happens.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been running about a week now with the replacement front dashcam and the same rear dashcam the way it was wired originally. I moved the wire to the rear dashcam some by pushing it around under the headliner but besides that, nothing has changed. For the past week I have had normal reception with rare dropouts so I am going to say it is fixed. All I can think is the replacement front dashcam has less interference than the original one or me moving the rear wire was enough to correct it. Anyway, antenna gremlins are weird...

·
Elvira - the car
3,537 Posts
I've been running about a week now with the replacement front dashcam and the same rear dashcam the way it was wired originally. I moved the wire to the rear dashcam some by pushing it around under the headliner but besides that, nothing has changed. For the past week I have had normal reception with rare dropouts so I am going to say it is fixed. All I can think is the replacement front dashcam has less interference than the original one or me moving the rear wire was enough to correct it. Anyway, antenna gremlins are weird...
Good deal and thanks for the update. The new front camera MAY have been shooting out interference through that connecting cable. Moving the cable couldn't hoit either so there you go !

Happy listening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts