Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, first time on here. So I don't know a whole lot about cars, just the basics. Yesterday I noticed after leaving school, when I put my car in reverse n started backing out I heard a weird noise from the engine, almost like when u blow up a balloon n release the air by pinching the neck of it n make it skreech out (best way I can explain, sorry lol). Noticed that it doesn't happen in the morning when it's cold out, n only will happen if my cars parked for a while in the heat. Any ideas? :/

·
Registered
745 Posts
It's your serpentine belt. Probably need a new one. You should have it inspected for cracks. You coukd try a product called belt dressing, it will lubricate the belt and stop the screeching but it will also make the belt slip which isn't ideal. The reason it doesn't do it when it's cold is because of thermal expansion. When it's cold the belt is at its tightest. When it's warm it expands and stretched so to speak. Belt should be 20-40 bucks and installation shouldnt take long at all.

·
Registered
745 Posts
No problem. You should update you profile so we can see you location. I know if a forum member lived near me and they needed help with a simple belt change I would help em out. Just a thought as most of the folks on DA are good people.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Hey all, first time on here. So I don't know a whole lot about cars, just the basics. Yesterday I noticed after leaving school, when I put my car in reverse n started backing out I heard a weird noise from the engine, almost like when u blow up a balloon n release the air by pinching the neck of it n make it skreech out (best way I can explain, sorry lol). Noticed that it doesn't happen in the morning when it's cold out, n only will happen if my cars parked for a while in the heat. Any ideas? :/
Are you 100% positive it was coming from the engine bay? Im only asking cause the discription of the sound doesnt sound like a belt. However noises are SOOOOOOO hard to describe. Your clunk could be my thump. My creak could be your squawk. you get the idea.

But lots of brake wear indicators on these cars can make what i would call a "balloon" noise when reversing. Just figured it was worth mentioning...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem. You should update you profile so we can see you location. I know if a forum member lived near me and they needed help with a simple belt change I would help em out. Just a thought as most of the folks on DA are good people.
Good to know, just put my account together yesterday. I will update it. Hahaha I'm sure they are! (That's not sarcasm, that's real hahaha)

Serpentine.

Did you replace it?
I just stopped by lordco n bought the belt. Going to change in a bit. I'll post on here tmr n let u know if that was the problem or not

Are you 100% positive it was coming from the engine bay? Im only asking cause the discription of the sound doesnt sound like a belt. However noises are SOOOOOOO hard to describe. Your clunk could be my thump. My creak could be your squawk. you get the idea.

But lots of brake wear indicators on these cars can make what i would call a "balloon" noise when reversing. Just figured it was worth mentioning...
I'm not 100% on the engine bay to be honest. My brakes/rotors do need to be changed, just ordered them through my friend n changing them on Sunday. My brakes squeal but this noise I'm talking about I've never heard before *note that it only happens in reverse for a second or 2 n that's it*

Ugh, can't find anything on how to change the belt. Lots of videos for 2.4L but not for 3.0L. Pretty sure I've located the tensioner n I got my 14mm wrench n gave it a push clockwise but that did nothing. Don't want to heeve on it n break something...

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Ugh, can't find anything on how to change the belt. Lots of videos for 2.4L but not for 3.0L. Pretty sure I've located the tensioner n I got my 14mm wrench n gave it a push clockwise but that did nothing. Don't want to heeve on it n break something...
A wrench alone won't work. Slip a two foot length of pipe over it for leverage. When you release the tension, move the handle slowly. IF you go fast, it will fight you and not release fully. That goes for taking it off and installing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A wrench alone won't work. Slip a two foot length of pipe over it for leverage. When you release the tension, move the handle slowly. IF you go fast, it will fight you and not release fully. That goes for taking it off and installing.
Thought of doing that but still worried if I **** something up lol I'll give it another shot tmr, thanks!

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,460 Posts
I use a short 14mm socket, 3/8" drive breaker bar, and a 12" piece of pipe (don't like pipes over wrenches, they don't usually fit right). You might have to reposition the breaker bar to get the right range of motion, or it can bind up against the motor mount bracket (at least on the V6). Remember when routing a belt the smooth side goes on the smooth pulleys.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use a short 14mm socket, 3/8" drive breaker bar, and a 12" piece of pipe (don't like pipes over wrenches, they don't usually fit right). You might have to reposition the breaker bar to get the right range of motion, or it can bind up against the motor mount bracket (at least on the V6). Remember when routing a belt the smooth side goes on the smooth pulleys.
Awesome! Thank you. Save that for tmr, it's past beer o'clock n I need to catch up. Cheers!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I use a short 14mm socket, 3/8" drive breaker bar, and a 12" piece of pipe (don't like pipes over wrenches, they don't usually fit right).
True... I kinda figured he would figure that out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kind of late but it was my rear brakes :p at least I know my serpentine is good now hahah thanks all!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts