Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
03 Honda Accord EX-L V6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 03 V6 EX-L, on cold starts I noticed there is a slight hesitation when I shift gears. Feels almost like the rpm's drop so low the engine wants to die but it never does. Then while driving the other morning I was cruising at about 1500 rpm and the tach kept surging up and down about a few hundred rpm. Sometimes at stoplights I feel a little vibration like the motor wont mantain proper rpm. Just had trans rebuilt before I bought it and thats all I really know. Tans shifts good but I can still feel every shift. Probably normal? I am bout to do plugs ( probably E3 Diamondfires). What do you guys think could be the prob. Thanks in advance. By the way I love this honda.:thmsup:

·
Generation 9
565 Posts
Sounds like it could be incorrect idle settings. Especially if cutting out or almost at lights and in parking position. The surging RPMs I had on an Infiniti not long ago and it was a sensor. The more computerized we get the more things have to run right. Can't do without one thing or it affects another. Good Luck.

·
03 Honda Accord EX-L V6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok. its not to bad right now. guess ill start with tune up. what are the best plugs? ngk iridium?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Do not use E3 plugs.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
NGK or Denso. Make sure you get iridium plugs. They run about $9.99 at Advance Auto Parts. NGK and Denso come factory installed in our Accords.

·
03 Honda Accord EX-L V6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. If I may ask "why do you guys hate E3 plugs so much?" Do they not work well in the hondas? I put them in my wifes Trailblazer and it runs great!

·
Registered
231 Posts
There is no need to use any thing but stock plugs in a stock engine. We have had 2 cars come in our shop that ran bad after the customer changed their own plugs. Guess what? Both cars had E3's. We installed correct OEM plugs and the cars ran just fine.

·
Forum Insomniac
482 Posts
The Accord V6 has high compression (10:1) and require some top of the line iridium plugs such as NGK or Denso. At least that's what I heard.

·
03 Honda Accord EX-L V6
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure, I just bought the car. Is the egr easy to clean or replace? I was reding in another post about someone having erratic rpm and it was thier IACV Valve.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts