Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bought a 2004 EX 4cyl with 125K. The motor is running well but went ahead and did some routine maintenance. Did plugs(OEM), belt, air filter, Seafoam and oil change.

Since I got the car I have noticed a very slight clicking noise from the engine under acceleration. I must emphasize that it is slight and I could not hear anything from the cabin with the radio on at all. However, with the radio off, I can hear this. The clicking gets faster as the motor turns more RPMs so I believe it is internal.

At this point I cant tell if this is just normal older engine noise or not. However it is enough that it is bothering me. Any input that I could get would be appreciated and I can definitely try different things as possible fixes as needed.

:dunno:

Thanks in advance

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Have you tried running a higher octane to see you if it goes away? 89 instead of 87.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Valve adjustment should take care of it

·
Povy > Dreaminaccord
736 Posts
Wouldn't a Valve adjustment would make it worse? Ticking would mean that the gaps are too tight. My friend brought his MDX in for an adjustment and now the thing sounds like a deisel.

It could be the known injector tick that our cars have. Our fuel injectors are notorious for being quite noisy.

Reactions: Larry33

·
Povy > Dreaminaccord
736 Posts
I will try the higher octane fuel first. So is this injector tick anything to worry about or just normal operation?
Its normal and should get quieter once the engine warms up a little but doesn't fully go away.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You can use a screwdriver to pinpoint the noise.

It doesn't have to be a screwdriver, it could be a long piece of metal, like a samurai sword

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Since I got the car I have noticed a very slight clicking noise from the engine under acceleration.
The "ticking" noises caused by injectors and valves, are heard while the car is idling and not while under acceleration. Now if the car is pinging, it would sound like a rattle while accelerating but Accords are pretty good at handling low octate and I haven't seen one ping yet.

If the car is sitting idling in park and you increase the RPMS, do you hear the noise?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got a 2004 LX 4 cylinder that just passed 200k miles. The engine has made a soft ticking noise for the last 100k miles and she still runs as smooth as silk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drew, if revving in park, I can hear it but not nearly as much, it does it more under a load. I put in higher octane today but have got no results yet as I only burned about half a gallon today. I don't know if the higher octane gas would have made it to the motor yet.

Any more suggestions based on that answer Drew. I will post if the noise gets better with high octane.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Drew, if revving in park, I can hear it but not nearly as much, it does it more under a load. I put in higher octane today but have got no results yet as I only burned about half a gallon today. I don't know if the higher octane gas would have made it to the motor yet.

Any more suggestions based on that answer Drew. I will post if the noise gets better with high octane.
Does it sound anything like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP0eiw_-vr8

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It sounds like that but this video is a lot louder. with my wife helping me I just checked and without the car in gear I can hear it at idle but it pretty much goes away by just a slight rev on the motor.

However with the car in gear it is louder the higher the revs, but still not this loud. I am going to post a video this weekend. I would do it sooner but I get off work after dark and I kinda need her to help me make the video as it involves putting that car in gear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds closer to this:

However this is louder than what I'm hearing at idle. This is what mine sounds like in gear driving especially if driving up a hill.

·
Povy > Dreaminaccord
736 Posts
Totally normal. That's exactly what my engine sounds like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im glad to hear that it may be normal. :banana:

I noticed today that it does seem to go away at higher temps. I am using 5w-30 castrol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the help! Everyone on these forums is such a resource and awesome.

Hope I can help you guys someday. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have the same or similar engine racket in my 07 Accord w/ 143k miles. I bought the car used 2 years ago (with 96k on the clock) with it already sounding like that. I posted the sound clip and a senior member of ours (FredSVT) diagnosed it as being permanent piston slap. If you search for my thread titled "engine sounds like a diesel even at full operating temp.", you can read all about it. If you can clearly hear the ticking from inside the cabin (with everything off of course) while accelerating (and even while cruising), it is likely the same noise.

I had always heard that "clatter/ticking" from my previous Honda 4-cylinders under load(and they sounded like diesels at idle) when they were cold, but it would always quiet down and go away once the engine fully warmed up. It doesn't go away on my current car... it ticks just as loudly after a 1,000 mile trip as it does on a cold start-up. If I am at a drive-through, I can hear a loud metallic "tap tap tap" echoing against the wall. I tried having the valves adjusted, but apparently it is very rare and unlikely for the valves to be out of spec at such "low" mileage on the K24... and sure enough, mine were pretty much within factory spec.

This is NOT the same noise as the fuel injectors clicking.

I've driven my car 47k miles without much incident, though the racket does seem to slowly get louder as miles progress... but the engine still runs strong (I run it at 75-80 mph on the interstate for hours and hours on end, on 500-1,000+ mile trips). It has just recently begun to consume some oil, but that has been relatively "commun" on higher mileage K24s on here, or at least for those of us who have followed the extended oil change intervals via the maintenance minder system.

Whether it goes away or not, I wouldn't worry about it... like I said, my car has a severe case of it (to the point that people make comments such as "you need to check the oil in that thing" and "How did you get an Accord diesel?" etc.) and I HAVE to keep my radio and AC on because I can not bare to hear my engine while I am driving. Yet, my car soldiers on...

furthermore, I would not hesitate to purchase another Honda/Acura with the K24 as the lack of maintenance, repairs and the reliability have been out of this world.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts