Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2003 EX-L sedan with about 54k miles. I have been reading up about the transmissions on these cars and have heard about them going as early as 50k.

Recently, I have noticed something very small but noticeable upon acceleration the car after a cold start. I will get into the car in the morning, back the car out of my driveway, put it into drive, hit the accelerator and although the engine starts to hum and climb, there is a very brief but noticeable pause before the car "kicks in" and it beings to move forward. After that, acceleration is fine. It's just on that initial start. If you attempt to accelerate fast from that first cold start, it can be a little jerky almost. You really have to accelerate very slowly at first in order to avoid it all together.

Is this a sign of a transmission issue or have others experienced the same thing??

Thanks!

·
Go Bills!
227 Posts
Interesting!

My 58K 2003 LX behave quite the opposite. After a cold start and backing out of my driveway, when I put into drive and hit the accelerator, there's a sudden moment when the car moves forward too fast. I had to maintain brake to make sure that I am not hitting anything.

I am going to flush the tranny fluid at 60K.

·
4,637 Posts
Hello, I have a 2003 EX-L sedan with about 54k miles. I have been reading up about the transmissions on these cars and have heard about them going as early as 50k.

Recently, I have noticed something very small but noticeable upon acceleration the car after a cold start. I will get into the car in the morning, back the car out of my driveway, put it into drive, hit the accelerator and although the engine starts to hum and climb, there is a very brief but noticeable pause before the car "kicks in" and it beings to move forward. After that, acceleration is fine. It's just on that initial start. If you attempt to accelerate fast from that first cold start, it can be a little jerky almost. You really have to accelerate very slowly at first in order to avoid it all together.

Is this a sign of a transmission issue or have others experienced the same thing??

Thanks!
Has a atf drain/fill with Honda Z-1 ever been done to the car? May be time for some fresh atf in there.

·
4,637 Posts
Interesting!

My 58K 2003 LX behave quite the opposite. After a cold start and backing out of my driveway, when I put into drive and hit the accelerator, there's a sudden moment when the car moves forward too fast. I had to maintain brake to make sure that I am not hitting anything.

I am going to flush the tranny fluid at 60K.
Flushes are not recommended by Honda. Do 1-3 drain and fills with Honda Z-1.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Change the tranny filter and fluid. Also are you rushing the engagement into drive. And has all reverse movement stopped before you put in drive?

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
3,499 Posts

Thanks!
Doesn't sound like it. The transmission failure is usually a complete loss of gear. The transmission will slip out of gear when you accelerate, similar to depressing the clutch and accelerating with a manual transmission. The RPM's rev, but nothing happens. Another problem that can occur when the transmission goes bad is the failure to downshift when accelerating to pass on the freeway. Both problems occurred with my Accord and Honda replaced the transmission and torque converter at no charge under their goodwill policy.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Flushes are not recommended by Honda. Do 1-3 drain and fills with Honda Z-1.
Nope, Honda recommends $3500 transmission rebuilds.:naughty:

I had mine flushed, works much better.

Could be a result of just the new fluid.

I had it done 2K miles ago.

I have 67K miles now.

·
Go Bills!
227 Posts
Btw, what's the difference between flush and drain/fill?

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,649 Posts
Three drain-and-fills, with some driving in between, are what Honda considers a "flush". Some shops do "Power flushes", but if there are a lot of metal particles in the transmission, they can clog things up. If nothing clogs up, a Power Flush should work very well. To quote Dirty Harry, "Do you feel lucky?" I do 1 drain and fill every 15k miles, and changed the filter at 60k, on my 03 V6. Still going at 65k now (knock on wood).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not sure if your generation Honda has one, inspect the kick back cable. Looks almost like the throttle cable.

I gave away my 1992 Accord thinking the tranny was slipping, the new owner put in a used japanese 35k mile tranny in it for 800 bucks and still had the exact problem. He took it to a friend who adjusted the kick back cable and the problem was solved. Cable was adjusted to tight.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Reading this thread, I can assume only assume automatic transmissions are being discussed. Are 1 - 3 drains and fills recommended for both automatic and manual transmissions.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Thanks!
My 05 Accord V6 had the same problem. I took it to dealer and they said it's normal. I also did a drain and refill 3 times with Honda ATF and it seems doing better now.

·
Go Bills!
227 Posts
3 drains?? meaning they would flush it 3 times with a driving in between?

wow, that would be nice.

oh wait, is it "3 drains and 3 refills" or "1 drain and 3 refills"?

How would "1 drain and 3 refills" work? You filled it 1/3 at a time?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
3 drains?? meaning they would flush it 3 times with a driving in between?

wow, that would be nice.

oh wait, is it "3 drains and 3 refills" or "1 drain and 3 refills"?

How would "1 drain and 3 refills" work? You filled it 1/3 at a time?
Flush = draining and refilling multiple times in order to make sure that ALL the old fluid is out of the system

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,137 Posts
You state this hesitation is only when the car is cold. Could it simply be that it "coughs" a little when all is cold until it warms up? This could be normal and have zero to do with the transmission. My stick shift did the same thing sometimes when cold because....well, it was cold!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Could just be the the fluid around the torque converter is cold and thick.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!
I hate to say this, but mine did the EXACT same thing. I have a 2006 Accord EX-L with about 57,000 when it started doing this. It was much worse on cold days. When it was really cold, it could take up to 30 seconds before the transmission engages and I start moving after backing out of the driveway. Not fun when someone starts coming up the road and you are stuck in the middle not going anywhere. It kept doing the same thing, and then right at 60,000 my transmission completely went out. Thankfully I got it under warranty. I would definitely take it in to the dealer and have them check it out. Hopefully it is just something simple, and not the problem I had.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts