Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, new here but I had a question for y’all. I recently picked up a 2012 exl v6 sedan with 20k miles on it. Yesterday I decided to do a 0-60 because I was curious. I was 90ft above sea level, dry road and about 85 degrees outside. Air conditioning off and half tank of 89 octane. Supposedly it is supposed to be done in about 6.3 seconds. I did it in 8. Again, not the 4cyl this is the V6. I don’t think it should be this slow. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2001 Accord LX
43 Posts
Reality bumps into best case test scenario? As long as it rips down the entrance ramp, why worry.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Agreed but I have seen tests done on older cars of the same gen, higher miles, higher elevation, and worse conditions perform at most 6.6. I think something is just off here.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Hey everyone, new here but I had a question for y’all. I recently picked up a 2012 exl v6 sedan with 20k miles on it. Yesterday I decided to do a 0-60 because I was curious. I was 90ft above sea level, dry road and about 85 degrees outside. Air conditioning off and half tank of 89 octane. Supposedly it is supposed to be done in about 6.3 seconds. I did it in 8. Again, not the 4cyl this is the V6. I don’t think it should be this slow. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance.
well, If you "recently picked it up" and without knowing what if anything was ever maintained, or changed(air filters etc..) that may account for some of the "loss" in 0-60..
That's an extremely low mileage '12 and that alone it would make me wonder how long that car sat around for...

·
Elvira
3,389 Posts
nine year old car only driven for 20k (twenty thousand ?) miles says to me that loads of stuff is requiring fixing .

Brakes seized or rubbing?
Oil look OK? No sludge?
Gas has been allowed to sit in tank and fuel rail for long periods of time.
Injectors MAY be gummed up.
Plugs MAY be Ok but low miles means to me short trips and thus "possible" gummed up lugs. Never got hot enough and the rings allowed oil to pass thru.
OEM tires could be suspect

EDIT: @2Accordz beat me too it.

Reactions: llebcire

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, If you "recently picked it up" and without knowing what if anything was ever maintained, or changed(air filters etc..) that may account for some of the "loss" in 0-60..
That's an extremely low mileage '12 and that alone it would make me wonder how long that car sat around for...
Thanks for the help. On the carfax it showed that it was regularly maintained and serviced at the same dealership where I bought it from. I’ll let the dealership know about the next time at the dealership.

nine year old car only driven for 20k (twenty thousand ?) miles says to me that loads of stuff is requiring fixing .

Brakes seized or rubbing?
Oil look OK? No sludge?
Gas has been allowed to sit in tank and fuel rail for long periods of time.
Injectors MAY be gummed up.
Plugs MAY be Ok but low miles means to me short trips and thus "possible" gummed up lugs. Never got hot enough and the rings allowed oil to pass thru.
OEM tires could be suspect
Thank you for the help. No sludge on oil cap and oil looked fresh and new. I will check the other stuff after I get off work. I’m new to cars so this is very helpful information.

·
port & polish everything
1,558 Posts
Back in the day this sort of topic used to generate long flame wars. Particularly the V6 5AT depending who you ask, might not be that fast to begin with. 6 speed coupe is another story.

Edmunds had an article that their 8G V6 5AT lost a lot of power too in just 20K miles. 0-60 went up almost 1 sec and they lost 5 mph trap speed which is a lot. Even when new theirs wasn't that fast.

"Acceleration to 60 mph from a standstill required 7 seconds (with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) when new, but grew to 7.8 seconds by the Accord's final test. Quarter-mile times slowed from 15.3 seconds at 95.4 mph to 15.8 seconds at 90.3 mph."

I never owned a V6 Accord but my sister has a 2012 VCM Odyssey, the engine had misfires and a piston was re-ringed under the warranty extension. VCM on some engines was prone to plug and ring fouling. If you want some easy things to try check if the air filter and plugs are clean. Also may be check your oil level, overfilling can also cause excess windage losses.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven’t seen that review and hopefully that’s just for the 2008. But I’ve seen other accords of the same gen with much worse conditions and way more miles keep their 6.5 second 0-60.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am very curious to what you find is the solution (if any) to the slowness. I would replace the spark plugs, air filter, oil (full synthetic) and oil filter for a start. Make sure the tires are correctly inflated. These are all cheap and easy to do. Another cheap thing would be to test the 1/4 mile time using a smartphone app. Please make sure VSA is disabled. Good luck!

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
636 Posts
It's probably due to parts that have aged. When you say that it was regularly maintained, does that mean that carfax shows consistent service interval dates, or does it have long periods of gaps? I expect it would have been sitting.

Also, as a 9 year old V6 model, check if the timing belt's been done. You don't want an old one of those under your hood, especially if you're doing things like testing the 0-60 time.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Yea it sounds too slow. I had almost the same car. It wasn’t exactly a rocket ship, but it was fast at the time. 0-60 in 6.5s was the quickest time I saw I believe. It shouldn’t be off that much assuming everything is in order, especially the VCM.... which was why I got rid of it along with the poor mpg I got. I’ve learned since it can still be a great car though if you take care of it the right way.

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
271 Posts
My 2007 V6 auto could still do 0-60 in about 7.6 seconds when I got it, only 0.1 seconds slower than the advertised 7.5 seconds (and can now do 0-60 in 7.3 thanks to the mods I've done on it). Losing that much speed does seem odd. Maybe VCM has fouled the rear spark plugs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My 2007 V6 auto could still do 0-60 in about 7.6 seconds when I got it, only 0.1 seconds slower than the advertised 7.5 seconds (and can now do 0-60 in 7.3 thanks to the mods I've done on it). Losing that much speed does seem odd. Maybe VCM has fouled the rear spark plugs?
Thanks for the reply. What exactly does that mean? I’m not that experienced in automotive mechanics yet. Lol

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for the reply. What exactly does that mean? I’m not that experienced in automotive mechanics yet. Lol
Variable Cylinder Management shuts off the rear cylinders to improve fuel economy. Due to piston ring issues, it also would occasionally drain your crankcase via the rear cylinders as well, especially on early model V6s. The rear cylinders being constantly full of oil probably damaged the spark plugs in some way.

Check the spark plugs, and look into disabling VCM.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Variable Cylinder Management shuts off the rear cylinders to improve fuel economy. Due to piston ring issues, it also would occasionally drain your crankcase via the rear cylinders as well, especially on early model V6s. The rear cylinders being constantly full of oil probably damaged the spark plugs in some way.

That sounds like it could be the case but it still sounds like a v6 and not a 4cyl. I would have to look into disabiling vcm, but it does still make a v6 engine noise.

That sounds like it could be the case but it still sounds like a v6 and not a 4cyl. I would have to look into disabiling vcm, but it does still make a v6 engine noise.

Also the eco light comes on after I slow down so I don’t know if it would be that but it could be worth a shot

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah it’s not on under hard acceleration.
Of course not, but it is on when you're driving around town, and during that time it's dumping oil into the rear cylinders and fouling the spark plugs and valves.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts