Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Of course not, but it is on when you're driving around town, and during that time it's dumping oil into the rear cylinders and fouling the spark plugs and valves.
Oh so basically what you are saying is that under hard acceleration those cylinders have a hard time making power because of the oil dump? That makes a bit of sense now.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
163 Posts
Oh so basically what you are saying is that under hard acceleration those cylinders have a hard time making power because of the oil dump? That makes a bit of sense now.
Well it does have to re-engage the shut off cylinders.

The ECO light doesn't necessarily mean VCM is engaged, it is possible to have the ECO light without VCM being engaged, but yes, in most cases, ECO light means VCM is engaged.

Disabling the VCM is definitely something you should do, with a device like the VCMTuner II, especially on an engine like this with VCM2, the most harmful version of VCM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
thank you bro I understand now. What about a vcm muzzle? They are cheaper and more simple. But I know with car parts cheaper isnt always better.

·
Registered
2010 Honda Accord (LX)
163 Posts
thank you bro I understand now. What about a vcm muzzle? They are cheaper and more simple. But I know with car parts cheaper isnt always better.
The VCMuzzler II and many other cheaper devices out there are passive devices, meaning you will have to adjust them as the weather changes, and they'll only disable VCM ~90% of the time. The VCMTuner II is active, meaning it controls resistance automatically and doesn't require adjustment ever. It will disable VCM 100% of the time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The VCMuzzler II and many other cheaper devices out there are passive devices, meaning you will have to adjust them as the weather changes, and they'll only disable VCM ~90% of the time. The VCMTuner II is active, meaning it controls resistance automatically and doesn't require adjustment ever. It will disable VCM 100% of the time.
I will look into both thank you very much.
I might change my spark plugs and I will see if it does anything. Hopefully a vcm muzzle or tune will be their to change it as well. Fingers crossed that’s the issue.

·
VCM DELETE
831 Posts
My 2012 V6 does it in 6.8 seconds. I dont think I ever measured over 7.0 Flat. On a empty tank I can get 6.6-6.7 depending on who is starting the timer ;)

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
My 2012 V6 does it in 6.8 seconds. I dont think I ever measured over 7.0 Flat. On a empty tank I can get 6.6-6.7 depending on who is starting the timer ;)
Lol. I’m going to try resetting my ecu after work to see if it helps.

·
MT or death
383 Posts
Hey everyone, new here but I had a question for y’all. I recently picked up a 2012 exl v6 sedan with 20k miles on it. Yesterday I decided to do a 0-60 because I was curious. I was 90ft above sea level, dry road and about 85 degrees outside. Air conditioning off and half tank of 89 octane. Supposedly it is supposed to be done in about 6.3 seconds. I did it in 8. Again, not the 4cyl this is the V6. I don’t think it should be this slow. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance.
The V6 sedan stock definitely won't ever do 6.3 0-60, it's a 7-second car on a good day. You might have the specs mixed up for a manual coupe. 8 seconds doesn't sound off to me.

·
MT or death
383 Posts
I meant to put 6.5 sorry.
6.5 seems suspect to me, but there's a cell phone video on youtube, so who am I to argue, haha. How are the tires? Is the air filter new? Spark plugs? Personally I would change the air filter and plugs, dump in a bottle of Techron, fill up with ethanol free (if available) and drive the bejeezus out of it to blow the carbon off. And yeah, vcm muzzler would probably be worthwhile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thanks for the reply. I bought it from a dealership where they did a basic tune up before I bought it. (Oil change, spark plugs, new tires, ect.) Changing the timing belt soon is also not a bad idea but I have also tried to keep in high rpms when I’m on backroads to help burn carbon. What exactly is Techron? Is it basically what seafoam does?

·
MT or death
383 Posts
What exactly is Techron? Is it basically what seafoam does?
Sort of. It has a better track record than Seafoam because it has the chemical PEA in it, which seems to work well. If the dealership says they changed something, don't take their word for it. I bought mine from a mom and pop dealer, and they supposedly changed the oil, filters, etc. They sure didn't, and the air filter looked like this:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Holy crap lmao. I know they atleast changed the air filter and oil. I’m not positive about spark plugs however.

I
Sort of. It has a better track record than Seafoam because it has the chemical PEA in it, which seems to work well. If the dealership says they changed something, don't take their word for it. I bought mine from a mom and pop dealer, and they supposedly changed the oil, filters, etc. They sure didn't, and the air filter looked like this:
View attachment 530135
I cant believe people can just neglect a car like that 😭

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
278 Posts
Holy crap lmao. I know they atleast changed the air filter and oil. I’m not positive about spark plugs however.

I

I cant believe people can just neglect a car like that 😭
Oh that’s nothing. Before I got my Accord, I drove a hand-me-down 2006 Pacifica. When I opened the airbox, the original factory filter was still in it (the manufacturing date stamped on it was 2005). After I replaced that, the engine got a lot more responsive.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The V6 sedan stock definitely won't ever do 6.3 0-60, it's a 7-second car on a good day. You might have the specs mixed up for a manual coupe. 8 seconds doesn't sound off to me.
While I haven’t seen 6.3 for the car, 6.5 is not impossible when the car is in great shape, on a good day, by a pro driver. I know this because I read several magazines about the AV6 before getting it after my 06 was totaled. Its acceleration was the selling point (while being reliable) for me. One of the mags was quoted for doing 6.5 for the v6 sedan with 5AT. The I4 auto was doing about 8 sec. Ironically, the other selling point was the VCM and I expected great things to come out of it...

That said, I think OP doesn’t need to worry about its performance now. It ain’t going to run anywhere like when it’s new without the car being in tip top shape, which doesn’t quite sound like it is yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Oh that’s nothing. Before I got my Accord, I drove a hand-me-down 2006 Pacifica. When I opened the airbox, the original factory filter was still in it (the manufacturing date stamped on it was 2005). After I replaced that, the engine got a lot more responsive.
I was at my grandparents house a while back and I had to go to the store to get some things for dinner that night, so I took my grandmother’s car to the store and I noticed immediately her car was VERY sluggish so I pulled over, and I was curious to see if she had bought some weird kind of air filter that was not right for the car, and sure enough as I pulled the filter out, she had never taken the plastic wrap off of the filter. I still laugh about it to this day 😂😂

·
8th Gen Believer
3,979 Posts
I have a quite good VCM disabler called S-VCM, made in Canada. No, it won't directly affect 0-60, but as capkirk123 said it can affect plugs. A car sitting up for some time is usually behind on regular maintenance. That car should have a printed owners' manual, if not they're online. I'd definitely change the AT fluid, plugs, coil packs, all filters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have a quite good VCM disabler called S-VCM, made in Canada. No, it won't directly affect 0-60, but as capkirk123 said it can affect plugs. A car sitting up for some time is usually behind on regular maintenance. That car should have a printed owners' manual, if not they're online. I'd definitely change the AT fluid, plugs, coil packs, all filters.
Do you think if I install a vcm muzzle and change the spark plugs it would help the time? Airfilter and basic matinance was done recently at dealership where I bought it from

While I haven’t seen 6.3 for the car, 6.5 is not impossible when the car is in great shape, on a good day, by a pro driver. I know this because I read several magazines about the AV6 before getting it after my 06 was totaled. Its acceleration was the selling point (while being reliable) for me. One of the mags was quoted for doing 6.5 for the v6 sedan with 5AT. The I4 auto was doing about 8 sec. Ironically, the other selling point was the VCM and I expected great things to come out of it...

That said, I think OP doesn’t need to worry about its performance now. It ain’t going to run anywhere like when it’s new without the car being in tip top shape, which doesn’t quite sound like it is yet.
That’s also why I bought this car now. Accords have decent performance and are reliable. I just think 8 seconds is suspicious of a car this age and mileage. If I bought a car to perform decent and reliably, I would hope and expect for it to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone, new here but I had a question for y’all. I recently picked up a 2012 exl v6 sedan with 20k miles on it. Yesterday I decided to do a 0-60 because I was curious. I was 90ft above sea level, dry road and about 85 degrees outside. Air conditioning off and half tank of 89 octane. Supposedly it is supposed to be done in about 6.3 seconds. I did it in 8. Again, not the 4cyl this is the V6. I don’t think it should be this slow. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Did you turn off the traction control?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts