Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey everyone, new here but I had a question for y’all. I recently picked up a 2012 exl v6 sedan with 20k miles on it. Yesterday I decided to do a 0-60 because I was curious. I was 90ft above sea level, dry road and about 85 degrees outside. Air conditioning off and half tank of 89 octane. Supposedly it is supposed to be done in about 6.3 seconds. I did it in 8. Again, not the 4cyl this is the V6. I don’t think it should be this slow. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Do you seriously expect anyone to give you an answer with the information you provided? Why should we take you serious and speculate on this "test" you provided?

You got off to a poor start. Start over and provide the basic information anyone would need to start an accurate analysis of your question. A serious answer requires serious information.

Provide a simple video of your test and how about a little bit more information regarding your car.

By the way, what color is it?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I will throw in my 2 cents.

The engine is just an air pump, so any restriction on the intake or exhaust is going to lower power. A quick inspection of the Intake and the exhaust should be sufficient to determine if there is any issue there.

Obviously any brake dragging is going to slow it down as well. Another easy check, raise each wheel and spin it, if it spins free you are fine there.

Tire pressure should be set correctly. As well as tire alignment.

Here is a good article on how Motor Trend does testing.

Put an OBDII scanner on it and make sure all the readiness tests have completed and that the fuel trims look normal. (As close to 0 as possible on LFT and SFT).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 12exlv6

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Do you seriously expect anyone to give you an answer with the information you provided? Why should we take you serious and speculate on this "test" you provided?

You got off to a poor start. Start over and provide the basic information anyone would need to start an accurate analysis of your question. A serious answer requires serious information.

Provide a simple video of your test and how about a little bit more information regarding your car.

By the way, what color is it?
I have a video but I accidentally left my windows down but I can still put it in here. It’s white btw. I thought I put mostly sufficient data in my question but maybe not. I don’t know how to post a video here so I here is a YouTube video of it. Tell me what data I’m missing and I will happily tell you.

I will throw in my 2 cents.

The engine is just an air pump, so any restriction on the intake or exhaust is going to lower power. A quick inspection of the Intake and the exhaust should be sufficient to determine if there is any issue there.

Obviously any brake dragging is going to slow it down as well. Another easy check, raise each wheel and spin it, if it spins free you are fine there.

Tire pressure should be set correctly. As well as tire alignment.

Here is a good article on how Motor Trend does testing.

Put an OBDII scanner on it and make sure all the readiness tests have completed and that the fuel trims look normal. (As close to 0 as possible on LFT and SFT).

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I was going to look at all of my sensors to see if their was an issue but I don’t know what they all should read lol. I do however have a scan tool. So I should make sure fuel trim is close to 0. Got it. I will check after I get off work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a video but I accidentally left my windows down but I can still put it in here. It’s white btw. I thought I put mostly sufficient data in my question but maybe not. I don’t know how to post a video here so I here is a YouTube video of it. Tell me what data I’m missing and I will happily tell you.
I timed your video and got 6.9 seconds. I used a GPS app yesterday and timed my car (2012 Accord V6) and got 6.4 seconds. Lets presume your spark plugs, coils, engine oil, and everything else are ok. I suggest taking the car to a mechanic for a compression test to see if 1 or more cylinders might be down on power. Half a second is not a huge difference but there is no harm doing a compression test.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Clocks about 6 seconds to me

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I timed your video and got 6.9 seconds. I used a GPS app yesterday and timed my car (2012 Accord V6) and got 6.4 seconds. Lets presume your spark plugs, coils, engine oil, and everything else are ok. I suggest taking the car to a mechanic for a compression test to see if 1 or more cylinders might be down on power. Half a second is not a huge difference but there is no harm doing a compression test.
What the hell? I just timed it too and I got 6.8. My obd2 performance reader gave 8 seconds consistently. Thank you for the tips though. I’m going to try most of the tips I receive in the forms so thank you for helping. I think I can get a compression test at my auto parts store for free so I will try that.

Clocks about 6 seconds to me
Pretty embarrassing lol. I went off the time my ob2 scanner told me not by video time.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
252 Posts
Given that the 8th gen ECU uses the pony express to communicate with the transmission, I think these sub 7 second times are great. I’ve always appreciated the shift programming in the 7th and 9th gens much more than the 8th gen. Now if the 9th gen didn’t want to shift out of 1st so easy/early...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Pretty embarrassing lol. I went off the time my ob2 scanner told me not by video time.
A buddy of mine had a fast inboard lake boat with a Chevy engine. His boat could do 90+ mph. One day he decided he wanted to go 100mph. He spent a ton of money on the engine and could hit 99mph. He spent even more money but the boat could not exceed 99mph. Finally, a friend rode with him and said "hey you know your GPS only has 2 digits?". He bought a new GPS and he was actually going 109mph. HAHAHA!

·
Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
252 Posts
A buddy of mine had a fast inboard lake boat with a Chevy engine. His boat could do 90+ mph. One day he decided he wanted to go 100mph. He spent a ton of money on the engine and could hit 99mph. He spent even more money but the boat could not exceed 99mph. Finally, a friend rode with him and said "hey you know your GPS only has 2 digits?". He bought a new GPS and he was actually going 109mph. HAHAHA!
Now that is funny. Rarely do I laugh at internet stuff, but this was funny (and a little sad). Glad the guy got a fast boat out of it.

·
VCM DELETE
857 Posts
This is funny as hell!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh so basically what you are saying is that under hard acceleration those cylinders have a hard time making power because of the oil dump? That makes a bit of sense now.
Hey everyone, new here but I had a question for y’all. I recently picked up a 2012 exl v6 sedan with 20k miles on it. Yesterday I decided to do a 0-60 because I was curious. I was 90ft above sea level, dry road and about 85 degrees outside. Air conditioning off and half tank of 89 octane. Supposedly it is supposed to be done in about 6.3 seconds. I did it in 8. Again, not the 4cyl this is the V6. I don’t think it should be this slow. Any ideas on what it could be? Thanks in advance.
Your tires are chirping in your video. I wonder if that 6.3 seconds quoted was on factory tires. I would not try that but I sometimes wish I had the 4 cyl since the speed of that 6 cyl is such a temptation. The sight of open road ahead never fails to give me bad ideas!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Your tires are chirping in your video. I wonder if that 6.3 seconds quoted was on factory tires. I would not try that but I sometimes wish I had the 4 cyl since the speed of that 6 cyl is such a temptation. The sight of open road ahead never fails to give me bad ideas!
I have owned this car for about three weeks now. Quiet like a Prius until you step on it. It sounds so good I can’t get enough of it lol. I was already pulled over once for going 15 above because I didn’t realize the car was still speeding up. I was always so used to my 2016 Tucson with a loud 2.0 4 cyl. I sold the car due to reliability for my current accord. I did always enjoy flooring it for 30 seconds and never going above the speed limit haha. Just pure engine noise. And with these gas prices I also catch myself wondering if I should have looked at the 4 cyl accords.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts