Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am trying to replace condenser on a 2002 accord (4cyl, auto, SE). I have taken care of all preliminary steps such as proper discharge etc. However, when I tried to the remove the condenser by sliding it out in front of the radiator, I noticed that there is small rectangular shaped radiator (yes, a third one) that is attached to the condenser (with 4 plastic screw clips) and has two hoses running from it to the engine.

Now, the problem is I can't take the condense out as the hoses are still connected to the small radiator like unit and I can't unhook the smaller radiator like unit without taking the condenser out.

So, does anyone know what this small radiator like unit attached to the condenser is? Can I take the hose off to remove the condenser?

In fact, has anyone done a diy for replacing the condenser?

For the life of me, I can't figure out what it is and very wary of disconnecting the hoses. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
There is a power steering cooler factory installed but I do not think that is what this is. My guess is an aftermarket transmission cooler or oil cooler.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks greg!

I think it can transmission cooler as the car does have a rebuilt transmission. And the two hoses seem to go towards the left side of the engine (when facing the hood) which I believe is the transmission.

So, is it safe for me to disconnect the two hoses going to it to take it out? or will that lead to air in the system or anything more problematic.

·
AC6DN
1,327 Posts
You'll need to buy new transmission cooler "installation kit," to reinstall it...

You'll wanna keep that cooler, if you gonna keep the car. These cars are hard on there transmissions, so a cooler and changing the ATF every 30K miles is a real good idea. And there is often an inline filter, this should be replaced with a magnefine filter.

Good luck...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bruce. But can you please elaborate slightly more. I know it may sound novice but I want to make sure that I don't mess up the transmission. So, specifically:

1). What do you mean buy new installation kit? As in screws, anchors etc? I was just thinking of removing it from old condenser by taking out the plastic bolts/nuts and putting it on the new one.

2). Would temporarily disconnecting the two hoses from the transmission cooler okay? As in I know that it will spill from ATF fluid but would it be okay if I reconnect them after replacing condenser and re-installing the cooler and then reconnecting the hoses? I will add more fluid to replace it. What I am concerned with is if the ATF system is closed like A/C system that requires vacuum?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
This is most likely a Transmission cooler then that was added when the transmission was rebuilt. I would suspect it is a B&M racing cooler something like this

http://bmracing.com/?wpsc-product=automatic-transmission-supercooler-14400-btu-rated-11x6x1-12

As you have to remove the cooler from the condenser anyway, I would not disconnect the hoses, the normal installation mode on these coolers is plastic zip ties to the existing radiator or condenser. You should be able to cut those plastic ties and move the trans cooler out of the way. You can either create a new way to mount the Trans cooler or buy the plastic ties and put it back the way it was. I did a quick search and several places sell the plastic ties.

Autozone
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...king-nuts/_/N-25y3?itemIdentifier=433151_0_0_

Etrailer
http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Derale/D13001.html

Summit racing
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80278?seid=srese1&gclid=CO74pcOUgLsCFeJF7AodmmsA-A

If you need to remove the cooler lines it is not a big deal, you need to cap the lines once they are removed so the Transmission fluid does not leak out. If you are careful you will only loose an ounce or 2 and that will not be a big deal. If you lose more than that you will have to replace the lost fluid with new Honda ATF DW-1. There is a dipstick on the automatic transmission that you should check anyway to see what the fluid condition and level is, if the fluid is Brown (it should be red to pink color) then it should be changed anyway.

Greg

·
AC6DN
1,327 Posts
Thanks Bruce. But can you please elaborate slightly more. I know it may sound novice but I want to make sure that I don't mess up the transmission. So, specifically:
1). What do you mean buy new installation kit? As in screws, anchors etc? I was just thinking of removing it from old condenser by taking out the plastic bolts/nuts and putting it on the new one.

Its usually installs using plastic pins that act like zip tie-raps, like how you hold wires together, but its straight.

2). Would temporarily disconnecting the two hoses from the transmission cooler okay? As in I know that it will spill from ATF fluid but would it be okay if I reconnect them after replacing condenser and re-installing the cooler and then reconnecting the hoses? I will add more fluid to replace it. What I am concerned with is if the ATF system is closed like A/C system that requires vacuum?

Assuming this is a transmission cooler, no problem. Mark the hoses, to put in the same location (to not back flush any stuck particles, back in the trans).
When I added a cooler to mine this is what it looked like:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showpost.php?p=1883809&postcount=9

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Greg and Bruce, thank you!

It does look like the one in Bruce's picture.

Your feedback was very helpful and answers all my questions. I will just cut the 'zip-ties' and reattach the cooler on the new condenser with new 'zip-ties.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,

I am going to take care of this along with compressor replacement over the weekend, I had two questions and would greatly appreciate if you guys can help me out with.

1). I know that I need to add PAG 46 oil to the components that I am replacing (i.e. condense, drier, and compressor) and I know the amount. Do I add the oil through any opening in these components or are there only specific locations to add oil to? For instance, in condenser and drier, do I add oil to the refrigerant lines entry points? How about compressor? Any specific ports to add oil to?

2). I know that drier needs to be replaced if the system has been open. Should it be the last component to be replaced? Or can I replace condenser and drier at the same time and replace compressor couple of days later?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Normally the oil is in a pressurized can, so you add it just like the R134a, through the low side port, be sure to put the oil in first. Also, when you get the compressor it will most likely have the oil installed. There will be a tag on the new compressor that will tell you if the oil is installed or not. The drier contains desiccant and should be the last component changed before you seal up the system and charge it with R134a.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got the work done and its all good. Thanks for all the tips!

For anyone else with same questions, I added oil through the ports on condense and drier. For compressor, I had to take some oil out (based on the calculations of Honda, e.g. subtract the oil that comes out of old compressor from 160ml and remove the remaining to a max of 50ml).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts