Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2012 EX-L Coupe 6-6MT, Taffeta White, 132k miles
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I have a '12 EX-L Coupe 6MT that I would like to modernize a bit. I recently purchased a dash replacement for a double din. But, I decided that I liked the factory look for the buttons and knobs where the factory radio is at. WIth this being said, my EX-L does not have built in navigation but it does have the small screen that sits on top of the dash that displays information like direction of travel, what radio station its tuned to, mode the AC is on, etc.

My question is, would it be possible to replace that small screen where the navigation goes with something like this: screen replacement? Myprimary concern is I want to retain all the factory buttons/knobs as well as any of the steering wheel controls. The seller claims thedevice I linked can learn the steering wheel controls, but I'd like for it to display/work with all of the other buttons as well.

Lastly, would it be possible to later on attach a rearward camera that links to this device?

I should add, that I have seen other replacements for this screen that moves the current screen/display down below the radio where the storage compartment is. I don't want one like this, that will take up the storage compartment below.

Automotive lighting Rectangle Output device Computer monitor accessory Automotive exterior

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Victus - 2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
I wish. But the A/C controls are also part of that upper display so replacing the display would cost you that. I'm in a similar situation myself, I also have an EX-L V6 without NAVI.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish. But the A/C controls are also part of that upper display so replacing the display would cost you that. I'm in a similar situation myself, I also have an EX-L V6 without NAVI.
Thanks for the response. To clarify, if I went with this option I would lose the visual of the AC settings (i.e what mode the A/C is set to) or you're saying if I replace that little screen I will lose the ability to control my A/C period?

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
Thanks for the response. To clarify, if I went with this option I would lose the visual of the AC settings (i.e what mode the A/C is set to) or you're saying if I replace that little screen I will lose the ability to control my A/C period?
I believe you would still be able to control it, but you would be completely blind to what mode, temperature, etc. the A/C is in. The reason people are able to do it like in the image you posted is because those models have manual climate control, not automatic like ours have, meaning there is no display for the A/C information, it is all just buttons and knobs with lights on them.

My old 2010 LX was like that with manual climate control and I did replace the radio with a single-DIN unit. In that case, the upper screen was just left permanently blank. If I did it again, I would probably try to find some way to utilize that upper screen space for something. The anti-glare feature it has with the recessed display is nice and something I missed with the aftermarket unit.

Reactions: dmkent.jr

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
So I never actually saw what those upper screen relocation installs looked like with the stock radio screen moving to the lower storage pocket.

I have to say, now that I've seen it, I think I'm a fan. It seems that's the only way to keep the stock A/C display while having a screen up top, and considering that these setups retain the factory radio entirely, it seems like a good option. I'm almost tempted to pick one up if I can find a decent unit. I don't mind losing the upper half of the storage pocket there, the NAVI models don't have one there either anyway, and I can live without it. I only really use that pocket as a place for my phone and the passenger's phone anyway, and the screen replacements still give you that little pocket below it.

It's a shame that you're mostly stuck with the offbrand cheap units if you want to go this route. If I could find a name brand unit there would be no hesitation.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I never actually saw what those upper screen relocation installs looked like with the stock radio screen moving to the lower storage pocket.

I have to say, now that I've seen it, I think I'm a fan. It seems that's the only way to keep the stock A/C display while having a screen up top, and considering that these setups retain the factory radio entirely, it seems like a good option. I'm almost tempted to pick one up if I can find a decent unit. I don't mind losing the upper half of the storage pocket there, the NAVI models don't have one there either anyway, and I can live without it. I only really use that pocket as a place for my phone and the passenger's phone anyway, and the screen replacements still give you that little pocket below it.

It's a shame that you're mostly stuck with the offbrand cheap units if you want to go this route. If I could find a name brand unit there would be no hesitation.
If you decide to give it a go please keep me posted on it. The more I think of it, I don't ACTUALLY use the storage compartment, but it just feels like I'm sacrificing something by relocating the factory screen there.

V6 Supremacist 馃槑
If you decide to give it a go please keep me posted on it. The more I think of it, I don't ACTUALLY use the storage compartment, but it just feels like I'm sacrificing something by relocating the factory screen there.
Really my biggest concern is with the screen being so low, it makes it less convenient to see the A/C temperatures and other information while driving. The same reason why I don't want to just stick a double DIN unit in the dash, it's too low to be realy usable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts