Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 LX sedan. My key casing broke and I called the Honda dealer to see if they'd give me some kind of deal to replace just the casing. My actual key and the inside "brain" of the key are fine. They told me they couldn't and it would cost $103!!

So I looked on ebay for just the casing and found one for ten bucks that has an uncut key in it. I called ACE HARDWARE and asked if they could cut the key for me and he said they could for free.

My question is...IS THERE A CHIP IN THE ACTUAL METAL KEY? Does the dealer have to replace the key because of the chip in the button/battery piece or the actual metal key? Please help.. I'm leaving for Florida in a week and want to figure this out asap!! Thanks

·
Prim and Proper
819 Posts
There's no chip in the actual metal part of the key, there's a chip in the casing that has to be close to the ignition in order for the car to start. If you get the new casing and the key cut you should be able to transplant the chip into the new casing. There's a DIY somewhere on this thread transplanting it into a flip key so if you find that the procedure should be the same

·
Prim and Proper
819 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read a post that stated that you needed the keyless remote for the 2004 Accord to be close to the ignition in order for the car to start if the actual metal key is separated form the remote. In my experience this is not a true statement. Which leads me to believe that the dealership screws you for replacement keys stating they need to be reprogrammed. also false. It can be done yourself and there are instructions posted on this site somewhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts