Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Well the title says it all, I might have a possible problem with the AC. While driving on the freeway today, I turned on the AC, but the AC vent on top of the radio controls closest to the driver side blew smoke or fog for a good 5 seconds. Has anybody else had this experience before? It's the first time it's happened by the way.

·
HK Moderator
13,897 Posts
First off....

If it is actual smoke- then yes that is a problem. Since you are alive to post here, I assume it is not smoke filled with carbon monoxide or your engine burning up, but is in fact harmless condensation in the car's A/C system.....THAT is most likely nothing to worry about.

1) Make sure your air conditioning drain is not plugged up. (do you see a puddle of water under the engine when you park with the A/C on?) You live in SoCal (thank you for posting your location, by the way :)) so your A/C gets used a lot. Remember that the job of the A/C is to remove moisture from the air- it does not "cool" the air, per se, it only removes moisture.

2) Make it a habit to turn off your A/C while the blowers are still going strong. Perhaps when you are 2-3 blocks from your destination, you can just press A/C to turn it off while allowing the blowers to still blow cold air for a minute. That will keep the A/C system in better shape than turning the A/C off only when you shut the car down.

3) If you notice a musty smell- then you will have to buy a $15 can of A/C cleaner and run it through.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I would cross a river on my way to work and almost everyday in the summer fog would come out of the vents, obviously it was the rise in humidity. That was on a manual control A/C system not an automatic system. I have not seen the same from the Auto Climate control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend you get an AC check. Low freon drops the pressure causing you evaporator to freeze up, which, is sometimes why you get smoke.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Today driving my Acura TSX with the climate control set to 67 degrees I saw fog coming out of my vents for 5 minute's while driving on the Interstate today. It was about 87 with 60% humidity. So it is not that unusual in the humid weather.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts