Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my horse & buggy the other day...and I was like "self, your car looks pretty plain". So I am thinking about smoking the tails, I've done the spray on a previous car, didnt like the results. So i saw the vinyl sheets for the lights. The pre cut and the 24x60 sheets. My question is has anyone messed with either of these. Whats were your thoughts about them?

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
I personally haven't, but lots of people have done it. Maybe a combination of stretching/shape/heat gun to get the curvature right.

I'm planning on doing mine soon, but I'm just going to use spray tint, probably VHT Nite Shades. I'll use it using the technique I read here:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/How_to_Smoke_Taillights

A few people I know have used this technique, or one similar to get a glossier, higher quality tint look which is what I'd want vs. the dull/runny look people get when they just spray it on badly.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally haven't, but lots of people have done it. Maybe a combination of stretching/shape/heat gun to get the curvature right.

I'm planning on doing mine soon, but I'm just going to use spray tint, probably VHT Nite Shades. I'll use it using the technique I read here:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/How_to_Smoke_Taillights

A few people I know have used this technique, or one similar to get a glossier, higher quality tint look which is what I'd want vs. the dull/runny look people get when they just spray it on badly.
Thanks...I used the Niteshades on my dodge caliber. Its a real iffy spray, but everybody has their preferenes though. I will check out the link. Much Appreciated.

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
Yeah, I hear you. The link is good!

·
2007 4cly honda accord
61 Posts
ive done the tail light tint sheets that you buy on ebay, personally i can tell you it was quite a challenge, gonna require a lot of patience if you want to do it yourself, i ended up scrpping the job and spreying...which came out nice, i used a semi-gloss clear coat at the end to retain the shineyness of the lights...but yea, hope i helped.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Pre-cut works good, and you can always take it off easier than paint if you screw up, or dont like it. Will need a heat source I used wifes blow dryer. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pre-cut works good, and you can always take it off easier than paint if you screw up, or dont like it. Will need a heat source I used wifes blow dryer. :D
ive done the tail light tint sheets that you buy on ebay, personally i can tell you it was quite a challenge, gonna require a lot of patience if you want to do it yourself, i ended up scrpping the job and spreying...which came out nice, i used a semi-gloss clear coat at the end to retain the shineyness of the lights...but yea, hope i helped.
I will probably go with the sheets, for a more even look as well as the less permanent route. I tried the spray on a previous vehicle. Didnt like it.

Thanks for the input and the pics.. Much Appreciated.

·
7th Gen
98 Posts
I used spray night shades and i liked it so much i went darker lol, here is a pic another good note: if your gonna spray make sure you sand before with 1000 grit until the surface is nice and smooth :thmsup:

Attachments

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Tinting your tail lights will just increase your chances of getting rear-ended, then the fault shifts to you because you illegally modified your tail lights. Here is a car with tinted tail lights in bright sun light, and you can barely see them.

·
7th Gen
98 Posts
unless you have the led tail lights like mine lol, where i just blacked out the part around the led piece.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
unless you have the led tail lights like mine lol, where i just blacked out the part around the led piece.
Which means that the lights can only be seen from directly behind the vehicle and not from off-axis as they are also designed to be seen from. It's mainly the LEDs that do this and then the tint surrounding them just makes the situation worse.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Which means that the lights can only be seen from directly behind the vehicle and not from off-axis as they are also designed to be seen from. It's mainly the LEDs that do this and then the tint surrounding them just makes the situation worse.
There's only one led that shines bright on the side and I don't think he covered it up at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tinting your tail lights will just increase your chances of getting rear-ended, then the fault shifts to you because you illegally modified your tail lights. Here is a car with tinted tail lights in bright sun light, and you can barely see them.

I'm sorry but if you cant tell a car is stopped in bright sun light, tinted tail lights or not, your probably an **** EDITED BY MOD *****and shouldn't be driving, but thats just my opinion. Also i used the film which is only a 35% tint and you can see the parking lights which aren't as bright as break lights in bright sun light 50ft away.

·
7th Gen
98 Posts
na on mine you can see them from the side and from behind so the part thats blacked out doesnt affect the visablility of them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's a vid of my car with tinted tail lights. Quality is a little low, but you'll be able to see the tail lights off, then on, then brake lights applied, then reverse lights (separate from tails)
Click to play

·
Civic Crusher
208 Posts
I agree with Markus and Hillstones if they are completely tinted out sometimes i can only tell because i am gaining on the pretty quick but as long as it is just a light smoke i find it ok, but its your car do what you want with it :thmsup:

·
Coldspeed
1,101 Posts
This is extremely true. Which is why when I do it I plan on just doing a light coat, not nearly as dark as the pictures posted in this thread.

I mostly just want to tone down the fire-engine red tail light contrast to my entirely black car.

L.E.D. tail lights will help since they're generally brighter, but it'll still depends on how dark you go, you're risking a lot sometimes.

There have been a few people who only tint part of their tail lights, and if I do a 7.5 rear lights/trunk/bumper swap one of these days I'd like to do something like this:

I think this is a guy who's on this forum and V6P.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
I'm sorry but if you cant tell a car is stopped in bright sun light, tinted tail lights or not, your probably an idiot and shouldn't be driving, but thats just my opinion. Also i used the film which is only a 35% tint and you can see the parking lights which aren't as bright as break lights in bright sun light 50ft away.
How about when a car is stopping in bright sun (as opposed to stopped)? Or how about when the car can barely be seen in heavy rain or snow because of the tinted lights? The idiot there is the person with the tinted lights.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
It is so amusing seeing people defend the tinting of the tail lights, and why others have to be idiots for not seeing what they have done.

Simple fact is, if you tint or darken your tail lights and get rear ended, day or night, YOU stand a great chance of paying all the bills for the person who hit you.

Have any of you thought why all moving vehicles have the same color tail lights?
And I'll bet none of them have given any thought as to why minimum brightness standards exist.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
na on mine you can see them from the side and from behind so the part thats blacked out doesnt affect the visablility of them.
Fact is the replacement LED bulbs cannot work well where incandescent bulbs are called for. Incandescent bulbs have a single point light source and there is no LED so-called bulb on the market that can give the functionality of that, regardless of what you may want to think.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts