Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm having a problem getting SMS alerts with my Nexus 5 phone on my 2014 Accord EX-L (non-navi). I'm running Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5.

What is strange is that I have seen it work before. Two times in the last month, the prompt would show up asking if I wanted to be alerted to SMS. I would click "yes", then the radio would display and read out my message. However, it would then stop working and display a message that "your phone does not support this function" whenever a message was received.

I know that it is dependent on the MAP bluetooth profile, and that your phone must support it. I also know that the Nexus 5 does support it. All other bluetooth functions work fine.

I brought it to the dealership who has no idea, and I've looked through threads that have conflicting information. Some people say it works others report the same issue as myself.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Having the same issues as you with an iP5 running iOS 7.0.4. Local dealers have no clue on correcting this issue or installing the SIRI update. IMO, Honda should really conduct onsite training for all their dealerships on these tech issues. Really sad and disappointing when you have to rely on these forums and Google to try and correct an issue that the dealer should be equipped to handle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have not had this issue with my Nexus 5. Everything works as expected. However, I disabled it because I found the computerized voice readout annoying. I will enable it again to see if it still works.

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm having a problem getting SMS alerts with my Nexus 5 phone on my 2014 Accord EX-L (non-navi). I'm running Android 4.4.2 on my Nexus 5.

What is strange is that I have seen it work before. Two times in the last month, the prompt would show up asking if I wanted to be alerted to SMS. I would click "yes", then the radio would display and read out my message. However, it would then stop working and display a message that "your phone does not support this function" whenever a message was received.

I know that it is dependent on the MAP bluetooth profile, and that your phone must support it. I also know that the Nexus 5 does support it. All other bluetooth functions work fine.

I brought it to the dealership who has no idea, and I've looked through threads that have conflicting information. Some people say it works others report the same issue as myself.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Figured it out

Josh, I had the same problem. I have the HTC One and SMS worked beautifully until I upgraded the OS to Jelly bean (4.2 or 3. not sure) then everything worked EXCEPT the SMS. What google did was upgrade the text to speech (TTS)library app so now it only works with certain other apps and not just by default as the Honda link was designed to do. How I got it to work was to turn on the "CAR" app that comes with the phone. This is the app that gives you the big buttons and disables lots of other things that you shouldn't be doing while driving anyway. It works a little differently however in that it notifies you by voice only and asks you to reply by voice. I liked the on screen replys but I think what they are trying to do is force you to do more by voice than by screen. Anyway, try turning the car app on and have someone text you. It should work.

PS. you might have to set the phone settings on the car to "default" first to clear it then re - pair the device. But the bottom line is, the problem is with the phone, not Honda link or hands free link. You can check what version of Google text to speech services under "settings - apps - all" this TTS app can be downloaded from google play if you dont already have it, but since its a "library " app it's should be on your phone by default. These apps generally need another app to call them and I believe the CAR app does just that. Let me know if it works for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have not had this issue with my Nexus 5. Everything works as expected. However, I disabled it because I found the computerized voice readout annoying. I will enable it again to see if it still works.
What year/ trim level accord do you have? Navi?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe that system is a little different than the non-hybrid?

The Nexus 5 and stock Android 4.4.2 doesn't have the car app. I downloaded one from the Play Store that looks like the older stock Android car app, but it hasn't changed anything. I still get the same "your phone doesn't support this function" message.

I'm just hesitant to blame the phone because my wife's Nexus 4 works in her 2014 CR-V with SMS alerts and readouts, but it doesn't work when I test her phone in my Accord.

I guess my next step is to contact Honda since the dealership has no idea. I'm doubtful that some customer support line will have any better insight :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
UPDATE:

I just tried to receive text messages in my car and it does not work. I know it did when I first got my car because I get a lot of work related messages that were not translated well by the voice system (lots of computer jargon and jibberish) so I disabled it.

Maybe that system is a little different than the non-hybrid?

The Nexus 5 and stock Android 4.4.2 doesn't have the car app. I downloaded one from the Play Store that looks like the older stock Android car app, but it hasn't changed anything. I still get the same "your phone doesn't support this function" message.

I'm just hesitant to blame the phone because my wife's Nexus 4 works in her 2014 CR-V with SMS alerts and readouts, but it doesn't work when I test her phone in my Accord.

I guess my next step is to contact Honda since the dealership has no idea. I'm doubtful that some customer support line will have any better insight :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE:

I just tried to receive text messages in my car and it does not work. I know it did when I first got my car because I get a lot of work related messages that were not translated well by the voice system (lots of computer jargon and jibberish) so I disabled it.
I think MrBill121 is on to something with the Google text to speech option. I'm going to see if I can find a way to downgrade or remove the application. It's so frustrating because I've gotten it to work before as well.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
That particular feature has been a big disappointment for me. It's only worked a couple of times and when it did the voice was so garbled I could barely understand it. Problem is I'd like to have the dealer check it out but I'm afraid they'll screw up something else like the SIRI update I did myself. I was at the dealership today looking at a new vehicle for my wife and stopped in the service department to ask a few questions about the messaging feature. Needless to say the two guys on duty didn't have a clue. Make an appointment, bring it in, we'll take a look at it................yeah right!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2014 Accord hybrid and have used a DROID XT1080 and a Nexus 5 and neither work - both are Android 4.4. The droid kind of works but mostly give the "unsupported" error. The Nexus SMS function doesn't work at all. AHA and Hondalink work but aren't very useful to me. I thought mainstream Android phone support would be a no brainer but clearly not...

·
13' CBP Accord Sport
191 Posts
I have a Nexus 5 and haven't had this issue. All my SMS alerts are functioning correctly. I would just try re-pairing the phone to your car.

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I upgraded my S4to 4.4.2 my sms stopped working. Worked fine before that. I have also tried repairing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Phone : LG G2 D801
Software: 4.4.2
Carrier: T-Mobile
Car: 2014 Honda Accord
Trim: Sport - Non Navi

Once my phone upgraded from 4.3 to 4.4 it stopped reading text messages. Everything else works fine . I thought i was the only one who it happened to. I tried to delete the phone and repair them, but that didn't work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone had better luck with Android 4.4.2 and receiving text messages on hondalink?

My Galaxy S4 with 4.4.2 still will not display SMS.

Also off topic - took the Sport to a SOLO competition today and it handled itself quite well.

·
Corvalis TTX
4,608 Posts
I'm having a hard time with SMS on my new Accord on a Mini S3 running 4.4.2 as well. Maybe Honda needs to come out with a software update.

My kids cheapo Samsung phones running 4.0 work fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, wondering if anyone knows if this function works in the Sport model, and with the Galaxy S5? I know it's not on the supported device list, but I thought maybe the list was outdated, how could it work with an older model phone with the same OS and basically an older processor, but not the newest device? When I go to the text messages setting, it says "Not supported" or something on the screen? Any suggestions, or anyone have it work in a similar configuration?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Has anyone had better luck with Android 4.4.2 and receiving text messages on hondalink?

My Galaxy S4 with 4.4.2 still will not display SMS.
I haven't had any luck.

I also have a Galaxy S4 (Verizon) and my Accord would display and read text messages faithfully until sometime earlier this year when my phone updated to Android version 4.4.2. Now, if a text comes in, it displays something like "this funtion not supported". Not cool.

I haven't tried repairing my phone to the car, but from what others have said, that won't fix it anyway.

Maybe the next update will bring this feature back?
Anyone know if an update can be undone and you can go back to the previous version?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Wondering, on my display a couple of times, while a radio station was playing it showed "ST TEXT", I assumed that this was saying that that radio station was capable of text display? And not that I had a text message waiting? If it was working, how I would i know a text came in?

·
Captain Slow
147 Posts
Wondering, on my display a couple of times, while a radio station was playing it showed "ST TEXT", I assumed that this was saying that that radio station was capable of text display? And not that I had a text message waiting? If it was working, how I would i know a text came in?
The "ST" indicates stereo sound and "TEXT" indicates the presence of RDS data. Is has nothing to do with the receipt of an SMS message.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts