Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Philadelphia drives me crazy....With all the snow storms recently, the road condition became so bad that there are tons of newly formed puddles created by the snow plowing trucks as they are too heavy...I try to avoid them as best as I could but tonight on a right turn...it finally happened... This is a big and deep one and no one has placed a sign there. So here is the result... Can someone help me estimate how much and how this can be repaired? Thanks a lot and drive carefull is you R in the NE...
Automotive exterior Vehicle door Vehicle Bumper Car

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car

Sky Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Night

·
Banned
784 Posts
Philadelphia drives me crazy....With all the snow storms recently, the road condition became so bad that there are tons of newly formed puddles created by the snow plowing trucks as they are too heavy...I try to avoid them as best as I could but tonight on a right turn...it finally happened... This is a big and deep one and no one has placed a sign there. So here is the result... Can someone help me estimate how much and how this can be repaired? Thanks a lot and drive carefull is you R in the NE...
I had a very similar one in Dec. It was around $1650. It was a bit of work. They will have to take one wheel off for the repair so tell them to torque it. I got really mad when the body shop over-torqued it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a very similar one in Dec. It was around $1650. It was a bit of work. They will have to take one wheel off for the repair so tell them to torque it. I got really mad when the body shop over-torqued it.
Did u do it at a Honda dealer or some local bodyshop? Do they replace the entire sill under the door panel and also the fender? This does seems a bit of work....

·
Banned
784 Posts
Did u do it at a Honda dealer or some local bodyshop? Do they replace the entire sill under the door panel and also the fender? This does seems a bit of work....
I did it at a local body shop (2 miles so I can run there and back). No replacement, it was just repaired. I was going to wait until the spring but I did not want too much rust.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did it at a local body shop (2 miles so I can run there and back). No replacement, it was just repaired. I was going to wait until the spring but I did not want too much rust.
How did they do it? Did they just pull it back using some tools and then buff and paint? Do u think it will be cheaper if I purchase the sill and have the dealer replace it?

·
Former H Master Tech
318 Posts
That is a tough spot to repair because it's right up against the lower body seam. Good thing about the lower portion of your car is that it's hard to see imperfections, so even if the repair is not perfect it will be hard to notice.

Philly is horrible right now! Its all of eastern PA too. I was in Chester yesterday and I almost hit at least 5 potholes that could have eaten my whole car within 3 miles. I understand they are waiting for it to get warmer to do the repairs but it's flat out dangerous on most of the roads right now.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Isn't this covered under your collision insurance? I'm sure the repair cost will exceed your deductible.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I don't think so.
Why not? My wife accidentally tried to back out of our garage while my daughter had the rear door open. The door got bent the forward by the garage doorway and had to be replaced. The collision insurance paid for the repair minus the deductible. What's the difference between hitting your garage door or a tree and hitting a big pot hole?

My 79 year old mother in law drove her car into a huge hole in the street near the curb and bent up the front suspension, the front bumper and god only knows what else and her collision insurance paid for the repair.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm in the Philly burbs and it's a mess out here. I'll post a link to an article I was just reading on a 1978 law that prevents you from suing in PA for pothole damage due to "natural elements". I'm no lawyer, but I'd argue the potholes around here aren't due to natural elements, but rather due to improper maintenance. The way they handle them around here is they just put some fill in and tamp it down, then the plow rips it up and every car going over it removes more material, getting deeper and deeper. There's a section here at 232 and bristol rd that has to have at least 50 potholes inside of a 100 foot span of road. It's downright dangerous. Here's the article: http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-20/news/46349711_1_insurance-claims-pothole-damage-tires

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I sued the state of WV for damage caused to my car over their crappy roads. It took 18 months to settle, but I finally got my money from them. Baltimore doesn't allow one to sue though, and I assume Philadelphia doesn't either.

Your collision insurance will cover it, unfortunately they will also jack up your rate.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Did this to my 2013 coupe. 1 grand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I know here in Virginia if the reason for damage is caused by bad road conditions(chunks of pavement missing etc) as long as you send in pictures of where the damage occurred and can show no road sign is up they normally will pay for the damages. After all we do pay taxes so that our roads are taken care of. We've had plenty of bent/cracked wheels come through our shop that we replace because of road conditions.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I sued the state of WV for damage caused to my car over their crappy roads. It took 18 months to settle, but I finally got my money from them. Baltimore doesn't allow one to sue though, and I assume Philadelphia doesn't either.

Your collision insurance will cover it, unfortunately they will also jack up your rate.
That's not necessarily true. When my wife damaged the back door to her car insurance rate didn't increase. I'm sure if we had a number of claims, they might have raised the rates.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
View attachment 122250

View attachment 122258

View attachment 122266
Damn! How is the front end of your car? Is it still aligned? Anything bent? Is the wheel still round? Did the rear wheel hit the same hole? Any other signs of damage? Is this considered frame damage? So sorry qq. Best of luck!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm in the Philly burbs and it's a mess out here. I'll post a link to an article I was just reading on a 1978 law that prevents you from suing in PA for pothole damage due to "natural elements". I'm no lawyer, but I'd argue the potholes around here aren't due to natural elements, but rather due to improper maintenance. The way they handle them around here is they just put some fill in and tamp it down, then the plow rips it up and every car going over it removes more material, getting deeper and deeper. There's a section here at 232 and bristol rd that has to have at least 50 potholes inside of a 100 foot span of road. It's downright dangerous. Here's the article: http://articles.philly.com/2014-01-20/news/46349711_1_insurance-claims-pothole-damage-tires
Hey there, I live in Havertown, do you have some good local body shop to recommend? Thanks Nossan!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts