Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

13841 - 13860 of 14407 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Cheap bastid. Just because you lived there and failed to tip those that are out in the weather providing a service to you, doesn't mean you have to be a doosher and not appreciate their service with a tip. You could do the average 15%, or just a couple bucks. And truth be told, the reason they don't let the residence of OR pump their own gas in most places (yeah, some places passed a law and now have self-serve), is because the tree huggers and granola crunchers can't figure out how to pump gas without spilling it on their birkenstocks.
jimijam is making me channel my inner Chicago youth. So take that Alabama redneck crap and shove it! I might live now among the birkenstock tree huggers, it aint where I come from.
Cheap bastid? Only with money!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don‘t get why they ask for tips at the register BEFORE making my coffee and taking my order. Asking me how much to tip, BEFORE the fact? Same goes with take out, I get that the statements have a line for tips, but that‘s crazy presenting pre-configured tipping options.

I also hate implied entrapment tipping, like spots with valet parking only. You won‘t find me a repeat at those venues.

Also these service charges for parties larger than x amount of people. What da heck.

Not eben mad dough. lol @ midnight witch funniest dude ever

·
ziptie princess
1,312 Posts
as someone who used to work for tips:

- tipped positions are a way for businesses to get away with paying people much, much less than a living wage (after 8 years of raises, i made 5.15/hr). if employees were paid a decent wage, tipping could be done away with/saved for when someone truly goes above and beyond or whatever the hell boomers use as an excuse to not tip half the time

- if you give a valet coins as a tip for any reason you're an asshole. even those dollar coins. don't do that

- tips are at the register because that's where it makes the most sense- that's where you're paying, and where you'd mindlessly toss your change into the cup if you're so inclined. that's how it works. the alternative is handing some change to the barista after they give you your coffee, which sucks for everyone involved and makes you look like you just landed here from another planet. no one wants that

- the pre-configured tipping options are probably a holdover from before everyone had a calculator on their phone and because not everyone can do math in their head. no one is forcing you to use them? it's easy enough to figure out 10%, double it, and round to the nearest dollar... or couple higher, because leaving like $2 on a $10 bill at a busy diner kind of sucks

- gratuities based on the number of people is to make sure the server doesn't get hosed because as a general rule large groups of people are absolutely terrible at tipping.

anyway it's really not complicated. service industry jobs are soul-crushing largely because of the customers so tip well and don't be the kind of person that get ****-talked as soon as you leave.

=====

any of y'all upgrade the shifter return springs in the transmission with some mtec or hybrid racing johnnies? the accord is my first cable-shifted car and the shift feel is... not ideal? it seems like maybe some stiffer shift return springs and delrin bushings in the cables might help?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
as someone who used to work for tips:

- tipped positions are a way for businesses to get away with paying people much, much less than a living wage (after 8 years of raises, i made 5.15/hr). if employees were paid a decent wage, tipping could be done away with/saved for when someone truly goes above and beyond or whatever the hell boomers use as an excuse to not tip half the time

- if you give a valet coins as a tip for any reason you're an asshole. even those dollar coins. don't do that

- tips are at the register because that's where it makes the most sense- that's where you're paying, and where you'd mindlessly toss your change into the cup if you're so inclined. that's how it works.
Kind of sounds like that cup the dude sitting outside the coffee shop has next to him. Not even nothing to try and do anything extra. Not even a smile or have a good one. Just a cup to toss in your extra change.

I’m a millennial but I don’t care for all the excess tipping. I get it in some industries. But why a barista who took the order and put it in a glass?

And why is it wrong to tip valets with dollar coins? I’d rather get that than a couple of quarters. I went to Cleveland once and learned that the homeless would follow you around like a puppy unless you gave them a tip. I had a lot of dollar coins and they seemed to like those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
ziptie princess
1,312 Posts
I’m a millennial but I don’t care for all the excess tipping. I get it in some industries. But why a barista who took the order and put it in a glass?

And why is it wrong to tip valets with dollar coins? I’d rather get that than a couple of quarters.
dude, no one's forcing you to tip the barista.

try running back and forth and getting in and out of cars for eight hours with a bunch of change in your pocket and see how happy that makes you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don‘t get why they ask for tips at the register BEFORE making my coffee and taking my order. Asking me how much to tip, BEFORE the fact? Same goes with take out, I get that the statements have a line for tips, but that‘s crazy presenting pre-configured tipping options.

I also hate implied entrapment tipping, like spots with valet parking only. You won‘t find me a repeat at those venues.

Also these service charges for parties larger than x amount of people. What da heck.

Not eben mad dough. lol @ midnight witch funniest dude ever
jimijam will hate you now.

·
ziptie princess
1,312 Posts
This is what happens when you try to stiff the valet, brah.
every single exotic/supercar was just an absolute pile of garbage. a 360 with alarm wiring gremlins that wouldn't unlock with the fob, a diablo with a cracked windshield and half-destroyed front valence, the stupid electronic e-brake on the v8 vantage that re-engaged as i was bringing it around, a db7 with a dash full of warning lights and broken door handle...

also i'm not saying stuff like that happened but we had radar guns with speed readouts in a few places ostensibly to make sure we were obeying the 10 mph speed limit and a valet i dated had the record for a while with 75 in an rs6 (someone else did 90 in an e60 m5 but that was in a spot with no radar and more room and thus didn't count)

i never saw the fun in beating on other people's cars; after a month of being a valet you've driven pretty much everything and you're jaded to the whole thing. it's much more fun to mess with people, anyway, like getting into a new z06 and yelling to another valet "yooooooo this thing has two brake pedals" while the owner is still there or telling some nitwit porsche owner that his beetle is very nice when he asks what you think (after not tipping)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yall print or email yaself the receipts when paying card? Or straight cash homie, Randy Moss style?

Why even configure an EMAIL ME the RECEIPT option.

I purposely hunt for the PRINT THE RECEIPT button and ask for it.

·
Roll Tide!
7,660 Posts
jimijam will hate you now.
i hate nobody. thinking someone is a asshat or doosher is another story though. tbh, i don't take the internet too serious. seriously.
also i'm not saying stuff like that happened
i was no pro, but i parked a few cars at a big fat wedding in denver.....learned porsche's weren't as fast as i thought.

Yall print or email yaself the receipts when paying card? Or straight cash homie, Randy Moss style?

Why even configure an EMAIL ME the RECEIPT option.

I purposely hunt for the PRINT THE RECEIPT button and ask for it.
plastic only on the web. cash only everywhere else. no receipt unless its some baller thing i may have to return. if someone hands me one anyway, i hand it right back and tell them fill out that damn survey themselves.

midnight witch" said:
hard pass
w3rd

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Boomers are the problem with tipping? As a boomer I take exception to that since I am a very generous tipper. Sick and tired of kids blaming boomers for their problems that actually stem from their own choices.

Don't like coins as a tip? Maybe wear a sign on your shirt that says so. Make it say "I do not appreciate American legal tender as tip." See how far that gets you. If figuring out how to lug a pocketful of coins was my biggest problem then I'd have no problems at all.

When us boomers were being raised we were taught that if someone gives you a gift you say "thank you" and appreciate the gift. After all, it's more than you had to begin with. That's how we were raised. Never understood how it must have been like to be raised with the feeling of entitlement.

Boomers are not your problem.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Boomers are the problem with tipping? As a boomer I take exception to that since I am a very generous tipper. Sick and tired of kids blaming boomers for their problems that actually stem from their own choices.

Don't like coins as a tip? Maybe wear a sign on your shirt that says so. Make it say "I do not appreciate American legal tender as tip." See how far that gets you. If figuring out how to lug a pocketful of coins was my biggest problem then I'd have no problems at all.

When us boomers were being raised we were taught that if someone gives you a gift you say "thank you" and appreciate the gift. After all, it's more than you had to begin with. That's how we were raised. Never understood how it must have been like to be raised with the feeling of entitlement.

Boomers are not your problem.
That‘s another topic of discussion. I think people in most metro, major market areas tip as standard or customary etiquette.

Coins as tip? Plenty of that with dining in, food service venues. People back then would leave cash and walk out. Some would just leave change and all. Check out some parts of Asia, where tipping is advised against and not a commonality.

The generational gaps and technological advancements and conveniences have changed a lot of that. By that, I mean, why flip the iPad on me and present me with these 5%, 10%, and 15% tipping buttons when I am just buying some damn bread or an espresso?

Being in the the food services sector before, it was always about earning tips. It wasn‘t like, it‘s automatic, unless you were in a tourist area, where its a lock.

I never complained about coins or paper, tip was tip, but now days, you gotta fricking adjust peoples credit card slip.

Having been on the other side, I try not to write tips. But obvious, sketchy places would require cash only.

And the $10 min purchase for c.c. transaction too. lol.

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
If someone doesn't want coins as a tip then they should refuse them, it is up to the person tipping to decide what & how to tip. Someone once tipped me with a signed 33 LP record, I was grateful. I often tip with a couple $2 bills or the older large silver $'s or brand new $ coins that are no longer in circulation. I find tipping in this way often brings a smile as these kinds of tips are not always left.

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,100 Posts
If someone doesn't want coins as a tip then they should refuse them, it is up to the person tipping to decide what & how to tip. Someone once tipped me with a signed 33 LP record, I was grateful. I often tip with a couple $2 bills or the older large silver $'s or brand new $ coins that are no longer in circulation. I find tipping in this way often brings a smile as these kinds of tips are not always left.
I consider myself a generous tipper at restaurants. No, I won't tip at a gas station if I'm not allowed to pump gas myself (I don't like other people touching my cars), and I don't appreciate their "help" at all.

·
Registered
402 Posts
That‘s actually worth more. lol. Yeah, I‘ve gotten that before, but I mostly saved it, cuz my old man was into coins, stamps. You know, stuff from that generation. I think my rarest find was a blue or red ink dollar, or green back. I lost it though. lol

Once in a while, I‘d take a $2 bill and older currency and pay it at convenience stores, or spots where these millenials would be working. I sometimes see them bewilderly look back at me and ask me if I have something else. At times, they would have to check with their manager. But sometimes, I‘d just take it back and pay with card. LOL. What‘s worst is that these $2 are fricking crispy and they think its more fake or a prank, than it being real and uncertain. I stopped doing this though. lol

I learned this when my dad would toy with the younger newspaper guys with dollar coins or excessive pennies lol. Kids be examining and inspecting the coins.

13841 - 13860 of 14407 Posts