Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

14101 - 14120 of 14157 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
While I had it jacked up - checked my passenger side Lower Ball joint. Been hearing a bit of a clunk and feeling a little steering movement there so replacing it has been on the books for a bit. Yep - it's bad - real bad - I guess that job just moved up the list. I'll need to push on my son to get some of his projects done and out of my garage so I can get the Accord in. Don't want to be doing a LBJ out in the driveway in the snow and slush.
Sounds like it's on the verge of failure. I wouldn't drive it until it's fixed. We've all seen the damage caused by a failed lower ball joint: a busted fender and CV shaft. I've never had it happen, but I would imagine that loosing control of a front wheel would be pretty scary and potentially dangerous.

edit: here's today's example from a FB group

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
It hasn’t moved other than around the driveway since I noticed it before. Christmas. I have 3 other vehicles so no issue. Waiting on warmer weather or garage space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Snapped the driver's side axle on the way to work at the local Honda dealership two months ago. The other side is on it's way out. Common problem on the Accords as they age; K series axles are junk although at a 15 year life span for mine I'm impressed.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Snapped the driver's side axle on the way to work at the local Honda dealership two months ago. The other side is on it's way out. Common problem on the Accords as they age; K series axles are junk although at a 15 year life span for mine I'm impressed.
Na, it depends on where you live. Here in CO where it's dry it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Na, it depends on where you live. Here in CO where it's dry it isn't an issue.
Sure but on the east coast where it is currently dry they age and snap and/or the joint boots tear and leak. I bet the mountain air keeps everything together...

·
HK Moderator
13,439 Posts
Sure but on the east coast where it is currently dry they age and snap and/or the joint boots tear and leak. I bet the mountain air keeps everything together...
It is the lack of road salt. Colorado has beautiful mountains, snow covered peaks, lots of fresh water rapids, and thick vegetation. Road salt washing down would kill all of that. They use some sand, and expect you to know how to drive in snow. Here in Chicago- land of idiots, we put down more road salt than any other municipality in America, in total AND per linear mile. Rust never sleeps....

Why does Chicago do this? The two biggest sellers of road salt to the City of Chicago and to Cook County government are consistent political and financial contributors to elected officials. Street and sanitation workers- those that put down the road salt, are making overtime at each snow fall- and they use their vacation time and personal days to campaign for their bosses. So in effect, road salt is a way to get elected and reward election workers.

There were some news stories between 2005 - 2010 on how Chicago dumped so much road salt, that it laid in piles for MONTHS and created a health hazard. Hospital emergency room visits for respitory illness and asthma spiked because of the air quality of salt dust everywhere. Buildings and cars were covered in white dust for weeks. The roadway flowers, trees, and pretty bushes were all killed off, so once again Streets and Sanitation workers got overtime to replant everything.

picked up an unexpected passenger at the grocery store:
View attachment 518391
got a cheap tire mounted on one of my model 6s so i finally have a spare i can use on the car:
View attachment 518392
You are in Miami....
1) What is with the disco ball on the passenger seat back?
2) Do you have a lot of fighter jets protecting you from terrorist attacks during the Big Game today? (rant over)

·
ziptie princess
1,245 Posts
You are in Miami....
1) What is with the disco ball on the passenger seat back?
2) Do you have a lot of fighter jets protecting you from terrorist attacks during the Big Game today? (rant over)
all the idiot things happening with my car and that's what you question? it was a party favor and it was too annoying when it was hanging from the mirror

the game is in like... miami gardens, so it's like asking someone in ravenswood if there's a bunch of jets flying around soldier field ‾\(ツ)/‾

who can say? i haven't noticed any

·
Registered
384 Posts
^600K on 1st valve? Is this a common feature on the V6 ? Nice

@midnight witch, proally the coolest 7th Gen out there. lol Man is the definition of YOLO. Giant Pink Sakura themed shifter, then mis-matched rims, and initial-D stickers with never going down windows. Dude is living it up, going to spots, giving people ollies and grinding ramps and then putting the board back NOT in the trunk, but in the back seat.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Replaced both front lower ball joints. Car drives much better now. The one was bad and the other was squeaking. Figured why not do both.
Got the loan a tool press from Cdn Tire and the Honda BJ kit (for older models) and made up my own adapter as well.
Both were nicely seized in place but came out fine once broken loose.
Replacements had circlips, were not knurled and had much larger nuts than OEM, but seem to work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
384 Posts
Accord emblem fell off after car wash.

Reglued this past weekend. I was surprised the Loctite Gel bonded well when it was starting to cure.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Changed the oil for the first time since replacing the double O ring behind the oil pump, resealing the oil pump and oil pan. That was a three day job I did last fall and involved removing the timing belt and all that stuff, and FINALLY there was no oil on the outside of the oil pan, NO LEAKS! Yay it worked. Dry as a bone underneath the motor.
Also did my first cleaning and spraying new oil on the K&N drop in filter. I didn't know that to buy the filter oil you have to be a minimum age of 21, one more thing idiots huff to get a high.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Let go of the 2003. Took her from 185,000 miles to 225,000. She was a good ride and I found her a good home. Some kid in the military that just needed a car and didn't care about the sideswiped drivers side doors.

·
new engine, new lease on life
16,938 Posts
Let go of the 2003. Took her from 185,000 miles to 225,000. She was a good ride and I found her a good home. Some kid in the military that just needed a car and didn't care about the sideswiped drivers side doors.
You getting another one?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You getting another one?
No. I already picked up a 2007 Lexus ES 350. A much nicer car. And the engine doesn't have a spec of dust on it. It does need struts and possibly engine mounts.

I think I'm gonna get rid of the 2004 also.

·
new engine, new lease on life
16,938 Posts
No. I already picked up a 2007 Lexus ES 350. A much nicer car. And the engine doesn't have a spec of dust on it. It does need struts and possibly engine mounts.

I think I'm gonna get rid of the 2004 also.
How much for the 04?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

14101 - 14120 of 14157 Posts