Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
15761 - 15780 of 15787 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
Replaced power steering pump and O-rings, and installed lightweight pulleys and idlers from Gerzy Bear. Power steering feels great, I can turn the wheel with one finger, rather than needing to brace myself against the door to get enough leverage. A snowstorm prevented me from testing performance gains from the lightweight pulleys, but used the opportunity to make sure my handbrake still worked well.

View attachment 537008
BTW, there is no gain from the idler and tensioner pulleys, they weigh the same as OEM. I found out the weight saving is from not using the washers for those 2 pulleys. I argued with Gerzy on this but he fell off the cliff. It would be an actual tiny weight saving if no circlip is used but I haven't tried that.

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
they're not even underdrive pulleys?
You don't want to underdrive, it reduces the alternator charging capability. I wouldn't want to do that anyway in the snow belt either. Been through that and killed alternators on a 6th gen using an AEM pulley that's why AEM got out of that business. The key is to just reduce pulleys' weight and reduce parasitic drag. If it's a track racer, then by all means underdrive all day long.

The other option for reducing accessory pulley weight is the UR idler pulley, it's the same size with much reduced weight because it's an aluminum pulley and not a steel one.

·
ziptie princess
1,926 Posts
You don't want to underdrive, it reduces the alternator charging capability. I wouldn't want to do that anyway in the snow belt either. Been through that and killed alternators on a 6th gen using an AEM pulley that's why AEM got out of that business. The key is to just reduce pulleys' weight and reduce parasitic drag. If it's a track racer, then by all means underdrive all day long.

The other option for reducing accessory pulley weight is the UR idler pulley, it's the same size with much reduced weight because it's an aluminum pulley and not a steel one.
that's why you put an overdrive pulley on the alternator...

·
Registered
04, v6 accord, ¿lx?, BAYA, J30A4
142 Posts
I can turn the wheel with one finger, rather than needing to brace myself against the door to get enough leverage.
having to really put your weight into the steering definitely isn’t a good thing but I just finally took my coupe out for the second time and the one thing I thought was how much I loved the tight hard steering. It reminds me of my old 92 civic which didn’t even have a power steering set up stock. It felt nice to drive. Can feel the road really good in my opinion anyways, but having to wrench yourself around to move the clock… yea that’s no good

used the opportunity to make sure my handbrake still worked well.
ha!

·
Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
513 Posts
BTW, there is no gain from the idler and tensioner pulleys, they weigh the same as OEM. I found out the weight saving is from not using the washers for those 2 pulleys. I argued with Gerzy on this but he fell off the cliff. It would be an actual tiny weight saving if no circlip is used but I haven't tried that.
Well that's disappointing.

I don't really feel comfortable running a solid aluminum harmonic damper (I want to get this thing to at least 300k miles), but the Acura MDX harmonic damper should be lighter while still providing damping, right?

having to really put your weight into the steering definitely isn’t a good thing but I just finally took my coupe out for the second time and the one thing I thought was how much I loved the tight hard steering. It reminds me of my old 92 civic which didn’t even have a power steering set up stock. It felt nice to drive. Can feel the road really good in my opinion anyways, but having to wrench yourself around to move the clock… yea that’s no good
There's still a good amount of feel in the steering. It feels a lot better in the turns too. Previously, the auto would occasionally decide to upshift in the turn, which would cause the power steering to quit mid-corner, which is always a fun experience.

·
Super Moderator
6,761 Posts
Well that's disappointing.

I don't really feel comfortable running a solid aluminum harmonic damper (I want to get this thing to at least 300k miles), but the Acura MDX harmonic damper should be lighter while still providing damping, right?

There's still a good amount of feel in the steering. It feels a lot better in the turns too. Previously, the auto would occasionally decide to upshift in the turn, which would cause the power steering to quit mid-corner, which is always a fun experience.
I'm not talking about the crank pulley, I'm talking about the serpentine belt idler and tensioner pulleys from Gerzy you put on. I weighed those myself using a scale and they actually weigh more than the OEM ones. I am already running those 2 OEM pulleys without the OEM washers, so his point that there is weight saving by taking off the dust washers is a moot point, there is really no weight saving nor do those 2 pulleys reduce drag. But he couldn't take my comments positively. The washers aren't part of pulleys themselves and they do not contribute to dragging mass. The washers do not spin together with the pulleys and I'm sure you know that while you played with the tensioner assembly.

There is an aluminum serpentine idler pulley from UR but it's $250 on just that one pulley. It's a bad bang for the buck.

The biggest gain comes from the very light PS aluminum pulley, I'll give him for that. The OEM one is steel, therefore, it weighs more. He would not do a partial refund and let me return those other 2 pulleys.

You can run the OEM MDX crank pulley, I've been doing so for a long time. That gives you the most gain out of every other pulley and it cost me only $50 plus it's an OEM part. Waiting to get the ATI fluidamper next to replace the MDX crank pulley.

Automotive tire Light Camera lens Rim Gas

Automotive tire Gas Rim Tin can Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Tire Fluid Liquid Drinkware

Automotive tire Drinkware Camera lens Motor vehicle Kitchen appliance

·
Registered
32 Posts
Changed the oil today! (Big whoop, I know...)
Castrol Edge 10w-30, found on sale for $3 or $4 a quart at Autozone a few weeks back. Wix XP filter.
As usual, the old filter puked oil all over the driveshaft and underbody. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Looks great; but, always shocks me when detailers do that. They spend all that time on the paint and make it 'dance' and then forget to dress the wheel wells and tires. It's like dropping the football on the one yard line! :) Paint does look incredible!
I personally kind of prefer the look of clean tires with little to no dressing. I do believe that he decided against dressing in this situation due to the ceramic coating being freshly applied though.

That said, I was very impressed with how well he was able to clean up the paint. It almost looks like it was freshly painted now

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
328 Posts
I personally kind of prefer the look of clean tires with little to no dressing. I do believe that he decided against dressing in this situation due to the ceramic coating being freshly applied though.

That said, I was very impressed with how well he was able to clean up the paint. It almost looks like it was freshly painted now

Good point! Everyone has different tastes. I like the look of a brand new tire. Never been able to get one clean enough, down the road, to like it as much without shine them. If I could ask? What did they charge to correct the paint? Then for the ceramic? Curious of the breakdown as the paint 'correction' is very labor intensive. How long did it take them? Do you have any rust on the vehicle fenders

·
Registered
411 Posts
Good point! Everyone has different tastes. I like the look of a brand new tire. Never been able to get one clean enough, down the road, to like it as much without shine them. If I could ask? What did they charge to correct the paint? Then for the ceramic? Curious of the breakdown as the paint 'correction' is very labor intensive. How long did it take them? Do you have any rust on the vehicle fenders
It took them the whole weekend to finish, but it was only the one guy working on it.

I do not have any rust on the fenders, but I have one spot I need to get looked at because I'm afraid it might be starting to rust.

15761 - 15780 of 15787 Posts