Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
16461 - 16480 of 16639 Posts

· Registered
797 Posts
How many miles? Where was the water pump started to leak from? The gasket or the bearing?
As for the "shim", Gates minimal timing belt kit, only includes belt and 2 pulleys, does include the shim.
Around 100k km and 7 years. The pumpe started to leak from the seal, not the bearing.

· Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
825 Posts
I decided to perform further experimentation on turning off the engine while moving (because I was bored). I discovered the following:
If the engine is turned off while the transmission is not in lockup, it'll drop into neutral, as expected.
If the engine is turned off while the transmission is in lockup, it'll drop into 3rd gear and stay in lockup. That makes sense, as third gear is always the first gear this transmission selects, and the highest gear it can get into without electronic actuation. I didn't know lockup could activate without electronics though.
Once you drop below ~20 mph, the transmission will disengage lockup and promptly drop into neutral from the lack of hydraulic pressure.
The steering wheel lock doesn't appear to engage if the car is moving.

So, you cannot use hypermile strategies with the automatic other than coasting to a stop, and even then it's pretty useless since I think it'll fuel cut when coasting anyway. In conclusion, don't turn off the engine while the car is moving, you won't achieve anything useful.

· burns oil
2005 LX sedan; K24A4; 5MT; TSX manifold; ~237,000 miles
91 Posts
Installed a Ktuned billet shifter. I’ve had the new shifter for over a month now but I’ve been waiting for acuity instruments to send shifter base bushings before the install. Those arrived today so I dove right in. The biggest pain was removing the (left to right) shifter cable from the old shifter. It rotates in and out of position but there wasn’t a description of this removal in the FSM. Anyway, I figured it out eventually. With about 10 trips to the shed to grab the “right” tools and 2 smoke breaks, it took me about 2 hours. Not too bad for my first try.

the new shifter is much stiffer. It takes a lot more force to move it left to right. Edit: the throw from left to right is much shorter. Front to back is a little smoother. Very snappy when you release back to neutral.

my eBay shift boot attachment and shifter knob fit perfectly. Overall I’m very happy! Sorry for poor photo quality, my phone camera lens is broken

Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle

Automotive design Vehicle door Fixture Steering part Personal luxury car

· Registered
825 Posts
Measured it to try and figure out how to fab an airdam and sideskirts. I wanna try and improve fuel efficiency a bit more, and I figure a front airdam and sideskirts will be a lot easier than trying to make a flat bottom. Poking around a hardware store, the closest thing to what I'm looking for is under-door weatherstripping, it comes with adhesive and with a little trimming should fit. Only issue is that it's not quite as tall as I'd like, only 2 inches while my ride height with my new suspension is about 6 inches.

· Super Moderator
7,442 Posts
So, you cannot use hypermile strategies with the automatic other than coasting to a stop, and even then it's pretty useless since I think it'll fuel cut when coasting anyway.
Shifting into neutral while coasting does nothing. Plus you risk damaging the transmission, shifting back into gear while at higher speed should you need to avoid a traffic situation. Tried it years ago and didn't save anything. And stop turning your car off while at speed, you only jeopardize yourself, if somehow the engine does not restart. If you really want to save fuel, check out what @Das Chicken has done using cardboards to smooth out the air around the car.

· Registered
825 Posts
Shifting into neutral while coasting does nothing. Plus you risk damaging the transmission, shifting back into gear while at higher speed should you need to avoid a traffic situation. Tried it years ago and didn't save anything. And stop turning your car off while at speed, you only jeopardize yourself, if somehow the engine does not restart. If you really want to save fuel, check out what @Das Chicken has done using cardboards to smooth out the air around the car.
I just wanted to try and replicate what happened when I accidently turned off my engine while in gear. I did it on an empty road, I'm certainly not suggesting trying to do it yourself. As for improving aerodynamics, I have begun looking into that, as I detailed in my most recent post.

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,894 Posts
No issue removing that bank 2 sensor 2??! Good for you. I tried that for 3 days and it just didn't budge.
Yes, no issue at all.
Actually, you helped by mentioning tool flex was the issue. My guess is that you either used a 3/8" tool, or the socket was made with some slack, which ate up your turning room. I thus purchased Gearwrench O2 sensor socket set prior to tackling Sensor2s.

I used the GearWrench 1/2" drive socket for removal and 3/8" drive deep socket for installation and torquing down:

With an extension and GearWrench 17" long ratchet, the bank2 sensor2 came out without trouble, no flex, still had turning room left when the O2 sensor became loose.

The Tekton O2 sensor socket I used to do Sensor 1s is very loose fit, caused corner rounding:

The Gearwrench is superior, tight fit. Hardly a mark left on the sensor2s, despite being much more corroded.

Sometimes, small difference in tools results in big differences.

· Super Moderator
7,442 Posts
Yes, no issue at all.
Actually, you helped by mentioning tool flex was the issue. My guess is that you either used a 3/8" tool, or the socket was made with some slack, which ate up your turning room. I thus purchased Gearwrench O2 sensor socket set prior to tackling Sensor2s.

I used the GearWrench 1/2" drive socket for removal and 3/8" drive deep socket for installation and torquing down:

With an extension and GearWrench 17" long ratchet, the bank2 sensor2 came out without trouble, no flex, still had turning room left when the O2 sensor became loose.

The Tekton O2 sensor socket I used to do Sensor 1s is very loose fit, caused corner rounding:
I was using 1/2" tools/extensions with OEMTools O2 sensor socket. My problem was the 1/2" craftsman ratchet, the handle is not very long. Time to invest in the gearwrench 1/2" drive ratchet.

· burns oil
2005 LX sedan; K24A4; 5MT; TSX manifold; ~237,000 miles
91 Posts
Installed Ktuned clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. I got the old system out in one piece without bleeding. The clutch fluid line runs between the body and driver’s brake line, so I had to snake the hydraulics out from behind the engine to avoid putting tension on the brake line. Had to get tricky with some sockets and extensions to remove the cmc from the firewall.

I also installed acuity shift selector springs and shift cable bushings.

Im waiting on the Hondabond to cure around theshift selector so idk if it’s all working or not. Will update when I start it up tomorrow morning.

edit: took about 5-6 hours yesterday and about 2 today. Ample breaks and head scratching….

poor quality photos inbound
Gesture Art Automotive tire Font Cg artwork

New bushings
Road surface Plant Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

old hydraulics
Automotive tire Rim Gas Automotive wheel system Audio equipment

Cmc removed
Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Automotive wheel system Tints and shades

shift selector removed
Automotive lighting Gesture Tints and shades Automotive tire Human leg

csc and interlock removed
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Vehicle door Automotive tire

Tricky wobble extension
Gas Liquid Egg white Transparent material Macro photography

bleeder setup under new csc

· Polished Metal Metallica
1,562 Posts
fun fact: new shifter cables make a bigger difference in shift feel than literally anything else

===

i got the "spiders in the purge valve" check engine light again

the charcoal canister belongs to the spiders now
A few years ago, I had spiders in the charcoal canister as well. After going through that once... I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

16461 - 16480 of 16639 Posts