Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
16481 - 16500 of 16639 Posts

· one wheel drive
997 Posts
If you're coasting in gear it cuts fuel injection, you consume no fuel at all. If you're idling in neutral, it has to burn fuel to keep the engine and alternator and power steering and so on turning.
True under most conditions. No matter how hard I tried I could never convince my dad.. and he drove a manual. He bought a Bolt a few years ago so thankfully DFCO doesn't come up any more.

· Registered
4,064 Posts
If you're coasting in gear it cuts fuel injection, you consume no fuel at all. If you're idling in neutral, it has to burn fuel to keep the engine and alternator and power steering and so on turning.
If it cuts fuel injection then how does the engine stay on at . . . say 2500 RPMs?

· Registered
38 Posts
This didn't happen today, but rather on Monday, 10/31 ... after nearly exactly 15 years - 5,486 days, to be exact - I finally sold my much loved 2007 Accord Coupe EX.

We bought a brand new 2022 Accord Sport back in early October so the 2022 replaced the old guy. My wife drives a 2017 Accord LX so for about 3 weeks we were the owners of 3 Accords, all from different generations.

It was bittersweet selling the 2007. The final odometer reading in the title office parking lot was 192,826, and the sale price was $3,800 (private party sale). That's quite a bit more than I thought I could get for the car, but the car market has been crazy for a bit now.

I'm not sure I'll ever own a better car. Literally in 15 years and almost 193k miles of ownership, I spent less than a thousand bucks on actual car repairs (excluding maintenance items such as oil changes, tires, brakes, batteries, etc.). It's really hard to ask for much more than that out of a car for that long and that many miles.

That said, it was time to let the old guy go. The car was consuming oil at a rate of about one quart per 1,000 miles. How long that can continue before a critical issue pops up, I'm not sure. For the sake of the new owner, I hope the car has many more miles left.

· V4 Watch
937 Posts
Sleeve Tree Vest Wood Landscape

Shifting into neutral while coasting does nothing. Plus you risk damaging the transmission, shifting back into gear while at higher speed should you need to avoid a traffic situation. Tried it years ago and didn't save anything. And stop turning your car off while at speed, you only jeopardize yourself, if somehow the engine does not restart. If you really want to save fuel, check out what @Das Chicken has done using cardboards to smooth out the air around the car.
Das Chicken doesn't just get crazy MPG from a V6 accord with 'cardboards', it is mostly driving style. including, yes, coasting in neutral. It works, when you use it right.

I enjoy my transmission being lubricated, thanks.
As long as the engine is still running, it is.

I mean, if you put in neutral with the engine running you are literally consuming more fuel than coasting in gear, and if you put it in neutral with the engine off, then the transmission fluid pump is no longer running.
Yes, you are consuming less fuel, right up until you need to get out of DFCO and back on the gas from all the drivetrain drag added while in gear and spinning the engine faster than idle. Most (modern..) auto transmission oil pumps are driven by the engine, if the engine is spinning, its lubricated. 'Flat towable' listed autos have a pump that spins when the transmission spins, and like manuals, can be put in neutral with the engine off without worry.

Just as a quick summary, as I have had this conversation many times already and am tired of it. If you want to slow down, such as approaching a stop sign or slow traffic, use DFCO as it will completely cut fuel and help you slow down. If you don't want to slow down and are going downhill, neutral is the more efficient choice as the extra speed you pick up will benefit you more than eliminating idle fuel consumption in exchange for the added drag of spinning the whole drivetrain.

If you are just cruising, a technique called pulse and glide is optimal. This is where you accelerate at the optimal BSFC zone for your engine, put it into neutral, optionally shut off engine, then wait till you are going too slow, reengage engine and accelerate again. When done properly, it can be good for DOUBLE the EPA highway rating. I did mild draft-assisted pulse and glide (with the engine on at all times) out in Montana and achieved 52 MPG for over 200 miles. That tank ended up being 46.0 MPG over 667 miles. That was with the V6 accord in my signature, not my previous V4 inline four accord.

· Registered
07 Accord Sedan EX V6 Auto
825 Posts
Das Chicken doesn't just get crazy MPG from a V6 accord with 'cardboards', it is mostly driving style. including, yes, coasting in neutral. It works, when you use it right.

As long as the engine is still running, it is.

Yes, you are consuming less fuel, right up until you need to get out of DFCO and back on the gas from all the drivetrain drag added while in gear and spinning the engine faster than idle. Most (modern..) auto transmission oil pumps are driven by the engine, if the engine is spinning, its lubricated. 'Flat towable' listed autos have a pump that spins when the transmission spins, and like manuals, can be put in neutral with the engine off without worry.

Just as a quick summary, as I have had this conversation many times already and am tired of it. If you want to slow down, such as approaching a stop sign or slow traffic, use DFCO as it will completely cut fuel and help you slow down. If you don't want to slow down and are going downhill, neutral is the more efficient choice as the extra speed you pick up will benefit you more than eliminating idle fuel consumption in exchange for the added drag of spinning the whole drivetrain.

If you are just cruising, a technique called pulse and glide is optimal. This is where you accelerate at the optimal BSFC zone for your engine, put it into neutral, optionally shut off engine, then wait till you are going too slow, reengage engine and accelerate again. When done properly, it can be good for DOUBLE the EPA highway rating. I did mild draft-assisted pulse and glide (with the engine on at all times) out in Montana and achieved 52 MPG for over 200 miles. That tank ended up being 46.0 MPG over 667 miles. That was with the V6 accord in my signature, not my previous V4 inline four accord.
Ok, sorry for starting all this. I do not care that much about hypermiling. I just had an experience shutting off the engine while in gear and the engine kept turning, something I didn't think was possible with automatic transmissions, so I tested shutting off the engine in gear in different conditions to try and figure out what was happening. Even my aero mods are chasing downforce more than mpgs (although the extra mpgs are nice).

The information about coasting is useful though, thanks.

· V4 Watch
937 Posts
Reactions: (K) and Dr. Acula

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,894 Posts
Replaced rear engine mount, easier than expected, 3 hours from start to clean up. Unfortunately, no difference felt, because the original still looks newish.
$150 and a Saturday afternoon only for the exercise :p

· DA since 1st car
07V6 EX-L Auto
1,894 Posts
Tried to do 3 transmission mounts yesterday, then found that only the rear lower mount really needed replacement, the front lower is still perfect, and the upper mount only was cracked about half way at two spots, but still way sturdier than the junk aftermarket mount, so I put the aftermarket on, and then put the original back. OEM is superior, especially for anything rubber.

· BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!
18,654 Posts
Winter tires: installed
In my opinion, it's a pretty good car in snow if you have the right equipment (and it's not too deep...)
View attachment 545053
I installed my snows today too on my 9th gen.

What did you end up going with?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

16481 - 16500 of 16639 Posts