Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Parrot Head
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO my friend and I were headed to a geocaching event this morning. Im driving along a County Rd doing the speed limit, 55mph. A very smart deer darted out from behind a tree from my left. I slammed on my brakes. His leg hit the front driver's fender. The rest of him hit more on the passenger side window and crushed some of the roof.

Both of us were wearing hats and sunglasses. If we hadnt been wearing those, we would have gotten little pieces of glass in our eyes. The airbags didnt deploy either given where he hit, which isnt bad. My friend got a tiny nick on his hand.

I wont know until Monday if its totaled. If it is, I am going to siphon the full tank of gas I just topped off last night. The Michelens only have 10k miles on them. The car is an 03 with just under 72k miles.

I gave a passer by whose wife saw us hit the deer the meat. I just kept the antlers.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Man, sorry to see that. That deer caused a lot of dammage. Glad you were both ok though. Like you said the hats and sunglasses may have saved you from some permenant eye dammage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow - was that the original windshield? I thought the whole point of them being laminated was to stop bits of glass from flying around like that...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad you are okay man!
Will pray for a good outcome car-wise.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Wow - was that the original windshield? I thought the whole point of them being laminated was to stop bits of glass from flying around like that...
The laminated glass provides strength as part of the car safety "cage", it did its' job as designed under the circumstance, it also didn't produce shards of glass segments, which will be far more dangerous.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
It is probably totaled. Anytime you have significant roof damage like that, it is usually not repairable.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think it's probably totalled as well. Probably for the best, since trying to repair it would probably cause more harm than good.

·
Parrot Head
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kinds words. It feels weird. It was the first car my wife and I bought new and Ive owned it for almost 8yrs and BOOM! gone.

We are supposed to have some nasty winter weather in the next day or two in Montgomery, so I called the wrecker who happens to be less than a mile from my house if we could come back and get a few things I left. I have the front rubber floor mats and the trunk tray.

I also threw a tarp from up under the windshield wiper all the way to the back window and shut it in all four doors just as a precaution.

·
Your laughter weeps.
19 Posts
WOW! Glad to hear everyone is ok. Sorry to hear about the car.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
SO my friend and I were headed to a geocaching event this morning. Im driving along a County Rd doing the speed limit, 55mph. A very smart deer darted out from behind a tree from my left. I slammed on my brakes. His leg hit the front driver's fender. The rest of him hit more on the passenger side window and crushed some of the roof.

Both of us were wearing hats and sunglasses. If we hadnt been wearing those, we would have gotten little pieces of glass in our eyes. The airbags didnt deploy either given where he hit, which isnt bad. My friend got a tiny nick on his hand.

I wont know until Monday if its totaled. If it is, I am going to siphon the full tank of gas I just topped off last night. The Michelens only have 10k miles on them. The car is an 03 with just under 72k miles.

I gave a passer by whose wife saw us hit the deer the meat. I just kept the antlers.

That ****s. Here's mine from last year:

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Zomg ****en animals. I am going install the high frequency speaker n scare the shit out of everything on the road. lol

Anyways at least your safe. could have been a lot worst

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry to hear about the car but the occupants were ok, so it's good, relatively speaking.

I'd guess that, based on the roof damage, the car would be totaled. Just don't let the insurance company screw you on the real value of the car. They will low ball you to the absolute cheapest replacement value if you allow them to do so.

·
Parrot Head
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I hadnt slammed on my brakes he would have come through the drivers window. Who knows where I would be right now. The car is replaceable and we are both unhurt. Im looking at some TSX's with the 6 MT.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,445 Posts
as with any car, they are replaceable....

as with people, not so much.....

·
Registered
273 Posts
If I hadnt slammed on my brakes he would have come through the drivers window. Who knows where I would be right now. The car is replaceable and we are both unhurt. Im looking at some TSX's with the 6 MT.
thats how you do it!

·
-Gene
656 Posts
convertible hard top conversion ftw

·
Parrot Head
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So the bodyshop originally told me it would be about $5800+/- to fix it. It was just shy price wise of being totaled. There were going to order a whole new roof. :thumbsdow I told them that I would not feel safe driving it and if I tried selling it in the future, there would be no way I would be able to sell for what its worth if I total it. The dash had been scratched up from the glass and they were just going to cut my deductable in half, so Id be paying $250. I said so now I have to live with scratched up dash? My car was immaculate and garage kept for the 8yrs I owned it.

I got a call few days ago that he added the whole dash to the running total and that totaled it. :banana: Received a call yesterday that they are giving me $10500 minus my $500 deductable. :banana::banana::thmsup: I just have to run the title down to the salvage place before USAA will release the money.

I found a well kept 97 Accord EX-L Sedan 5-speed with 173k locally that I am going to look at today. I think it will be a good highway car for work. We ended up replacing my wife's van with an '09 Highlander. She needed something more dependable with my upcoming deployment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts