Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone has experienced any issues with the accords windshield, but for me I've already got 2 nice chunks taken out of it. Both rock chips have come from highway driving (to be expected) but the size of the rocks that hit are mere grains of sand, simply laughable and it barely made a noise while it hit. Both chips I've told can't be repaired, I've spoken to someone at an auto glass shop and he told me the chips I've gotten are simply pits and there is nothing that can be done but replace the windshield to fix it. It looks terrible on the inside, just a big black dot as though a tiny rock is stuck in the windshield. It's sad that the car is only 10 months old and I'm considering getting a new windshield but I hate to do that. The last Honda I drove was a 09 civic and had no issues or chips with the glass. Am I just unlucky or is the glass honda uses now simply too soft. Any input?

·
Hello
104 Posts
i was on the highway myself and a rock flew right into my wind shield, made a huge loud bang near the roof. My brother and I was wondering what the noise was (driving at night, didn't see any visible damage on windshield and we heard noise at the roof not the windshield.) Next morning i realized it was a rock chip about .5mm crack, i got it filled in by a shop easily a week after.

In my experience with this wind shield its pretty good seeing how loud the bang was

Post a picture of the chip and let's see

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is hilarious! Today, I just noticed pretty bad pitting on my windshield and I only have 16k miles. It's funny someone posts something about it, quality is definitely down in this department.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was on the highway myself and a rock flew right into my wind shield, made a huge loud bang near the roof. My brother and I was wondering what the noise was (driving at night, didn't see any visible damage on windshield and we heard noise at the roof not the windshield.) Next morning i realized it was a rock chip about .5mm crack, i got it filled in by a shop easily a week after.

In my experience with this wind shield its pretty good seeing how loud the bang was

Post a picture of the chip and let's see
I'll get one when it's sunny! I may just be picky but I hate to see it. Unfortunately with the first rock chip, the rock hit the hood (took some nice paint off) then bounced on to the windshield creating a chip just below the blue light guard. So much for having a the hood edge deflector:p The second rock chip is a little more annoying as it's kind of dead in the middle just under the rear view mirror.

This is hilarious! Today, I just noticed pretty bad pitting on my windshield and I only have 16k miles. It's funny someone posts something about it, quality is definitely down in this department.
I swear I could throw a rock the size of a grain of salt and make a pit in the windshield. Too bad honda doesn't come out with a recall on the glass they used.

·
No PRND
583 Posts
All of my Honda windshields have been soft. I had my S2000 and one of my Prelude's windshield replaced with some aftermarket brand and they held up far better than OEM. I remember on my prelude if the sun hit it just right it was like frosted glass :p (~180k on OEM glass). I've got a couple small blemishes on my Accord but nothing bad yet.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I had a '12 Civic Si before my Accord Coupe and the glass on that car was very soft. My Accord's windshield has a lot of spider-web scratches and is generally not smooth when cleaning. It has an almost grippy texture and leaves lint behind, even when using a glass-specific microfiber towel! My buddy has an '06 Accord coupe and before he had the windshield replaced, it looked like he's been using his wipers to scrape mud and sand off the glass.

The glass is the worst part of my car. I hate the windshield. Even the rear glass has minor scratches from simply cleaning it regularly.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
My '03 got so many chips and runs so fast that I refused to fix them.

I know people think ill of those who have cracked windshields, but for me, it was more the principle of the thing.

I was visiting a friend in Colorado once and she asked me why I didn't just fix my windshield, so I was telling about each one and how if I'd had the windshield replaced for each of those chips and runs, that I would have spend more than a thousand dollars on windshield and that I didn't think it was worth it, unless I got a ticket.

About that moment, there was loud thunk and Melissa screamed and recoiled back into her seat and, lo and behold, a case in point.

There in the windshield right in front of her was a very large star, where what must have been a rock the size of golf ball hit.

On my '13, my insurance has paid to have my windshield repaired twice with no deductible and the repairs determined to be "no fault."

By the way, the softer a substance the more easily it will scratch, but it will be less susceptible actual breakage, such as chips and worse.

The harder the substance the less likely to scratch and the more likely to shatter.

Think mineral glass watch crystals versus sapphire crystals or polycarbonate versus glass.

It's just a good thing that safety glass was invented.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This is what Honda calls "acoustic glass." To me it means a prone to crack glass, I feel the OP's pain. Literally the first rock that hit my glass cracked my windshield. Sucks that they don't have a aftermarket replacement yet though. Unless you have the models without the LDW.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Having been a glass smith or Glazier for 20 years I am not sure softer is correct. It could be thinner meaning since the windshield only is laminated safety glass. All other glass is tempered glass.

Back in the day it was just a piece of glass. However to save weight and meet safety standards the windshield and rear glass are now part of the structural integrity of the car.

We could use a curved blade with a pull wire to cut out a windshield and rear glass. Now you have to use a powered Fine Knife that oscillates to cut.

I think they probably dropped from 5/16" and 1/4" thick to 3/16" on both the front and rear. And since it is in with such strong adhesives to become part of a stressed part of the car and the shape of our cars just make it ripe for stone chips.

I can not think of any other reason. There are other cars that get chipped windshields due to how they sit on the road it just makes them susceptible to it.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
If the windshields are this prone to chipping/cracking then we can all expect out insurance rates to up in the future.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Am I just unlucky or is the glass honda uses now simply too soft. Any input?
Probably just unlucky. My 6thGen was 2 months old when a small rock hit the glass at eye level. Windshield replaced. It happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts