Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 90,000 on the original suspension and was looking to plan ahead for an alternative to OEM replacements. Plenty of people change their suspension to stiffen the ride or improve handling. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and want a softer smooth ride. Does anyone know where I find a ride like this without actually buying an old Buick or Cadillac?

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I have 90,000 on the original suspension and was looking to plan ahead for an alternative to OEM replacements. Plenty of people change their suspension to stiffen the ride or improve handling. I'm on the other end of the spectrum and want a softer smooth ride. Does anyone know where I find a ride like this without actually buying an old Buick or Cadillac?
Just so with a tire with softer sidewall i guess but keep in mind a softer side wall means number steering, Less quicker steering, and a tad less mpg.

·
Motor City
707 Posts
Goodyear has a purpose built tire for ride comfort: http://www.goodyeartires.com/tire/assurance-comfortred-touring?evar1=goo|Product_-_Assurance_ComforTred|Comfortred|goodyear_comfortred|Exact

I don't think you'll be able to find any suspension components that will improve ride comfort. Koni FSD shocks come to mind but they don't make any that fit the Accord.
Tires make a decent difference in the ride...but hes going to have to continue buying new ones..

·
Registered
77 Posts
The only thing I can think of besides different tires as others have suggested is an adjustable dampening shock like Koni Sports (yellow). But, even at the full soft setting, is the ride softer than stock shocks? That I personally do not know. I have them, but I am not on stock springs.

My suspicion is, if you want a ride like a Buick or a Cadillac, you need to change cars.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
OP,

At 90,000 miles, your OEM struts likely are close to the end of its useful life, which might be why you felt the ride is harsh.

While I enjoy good handling performance, I opted to add sway bars rather than sport springs/struts exactly because I didn't want to compromise the ride quality of OEM struts.

I am very happy with the combination, you may find a new set of OEM struts ride nicely compared to your 90,000 miles worn out ones.

Also keep in mind that softer sidewall tires will make your steering/cornering vague, I put Falkan ZE512 tires on my previous car, an 1996 Integra GSR, the ride definitely softened, but the handling took a nose dive even just in regular daily driving.........

I now run the Bridgestone RE960 Pole Position all-season ultra performance tires, loving every minute of it for the perfect combination of performance, comfort, quietness.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
see if you find oem struts on ebay with less miles. People are always modding their cars fast and selling barely used shocks, struts.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
see if you find oem struts on ebay with less miles. People are always modding their cars fast and selling barely used shocks, struts.
I have 4 OEM struts sitting in my garage. They have about 50K on them. Would you happen to be in the Dallas area?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP,

At 90,000 miles, your OEM struts likely are close to the end of its useful life, which might be why you felt the ride is harsh.
I always thought the ride would get softer with age. I love the car as is but if I could change anything it would be the ride. I don't want a camry or buick or Cadi but would love a softer ride. I looked into the Goodyear "soft" tires but read reviews that they were prone to defects in the inner belts.

Thanks for the comments on the Koni Shocks too. It would be great to know if they were softer on the lowest setting than OEM ones. I would get them if I knew that I could adjust them for a softer ride than I have now.

·
6,322 Posts
I had 166k on my 99 on the original shocks/struts. I had them inspected at the dealer where I know the guys pretty well. They test drove it, inspected it and said they were fine. Struts were dry with no leaks.

Find a tire that has a soft ride BUT only drop the speed rating by 1 notch. If yours is a H rating drop it to a T rating. I believe thats the next increment lower off the top of my head. Don't go any lower or it will affect the handling too much in a negative way...aka buick handling.

The higher the speed rating the thicker the sidewall which consequently = stiffer ride.

I would look into some Cooper CS4's. Very quiet and nice ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Find a tire that has a soft ride BUT only drop the speed rating by 1 notch. If yours is a H rating drop it to a T rating. I believe thats the next increment lower off the top of my head. Don't go any lower or it will affect the handling too much in a negative way...aka buick handling.

The higher the speed rating the thicker the sidewall which consequently = stiffer ride.

I would look into some Cooper CS4's. Very quiet and nice ride.
I replaced the tires last year to some BFgoodrich Advantage but I don't now the speed rating. I figured my shocks/struts were about to go due to mileage but I never thought they would last THAT long (166K).

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
I always thought the ride would get softer with age. I love the car as is but if I could change anything it would be the ride. I don't want a camry or buick or Cadi but would love a softer ride. I looked into the Goodyear "soft" tires but read reviews that they were prone to defects in the inner belts.

Thanks for the comments on the Koni Shocks too. It would be great to know if they were softer on the lowest setting than OEM ones. I would get them if I knew that I could adjust them for a softer ride than I have now.
I hod Konis on my Prelude SH. On softest setting, they were firmer than stock. KYB G2 maybe what you want and are inexpensive. I'd call your dealer and ask for an answer which will help. Tires or shocks. Question. Has the ride changed to you since you 1st drove it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hod Konis on my Prelude SH. On softest setting, they were firmer than stock. KYB G2 maybe what you want and are inexpensive. I'd call your dealer and ask for an answer which will help. Tires or shocks. Question. Has the ride changed to you since you 1st drove it?
I know that the handling was better when I bought the car new. That could be caused by the BfGoodrich tires I put on it too. The ride seems more harsh now than it did when it was new but the change is so minor I wonder if it is in my head. I just had it serviced last month and everything checked out.

·
6,322 Posts
^If you look at the sidewall of the tire or your invoice for the tires usually the speed rating is on the tire. I believe your car comes with an "H". If the tire shop put a "v" rated tire on your ride would be more harsh than necessary.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had Tunabe NF210 lowering springs on my '03 from the beginning. The NF stands for 'Natural Feel'. I still have a stock type ride with the OEM shocks. All is holding up with 51K on the car. I didn't want to lower the car and create a harsh ride. The ride is like stock. I have a friend with an unmodded Accord and the rides are similar with respect to ride comfort.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts