Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2022 hybrid Accord EX-L radiant red
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week, I had taken my Accord to Planet Honda in Golden Colorado to have the SiriusXM antenna repaired because it no longer worked and said that the antenna was shorted on the screen. They claimed they could nothing wrong and that it was telling them to check for active subscription. Nothing was wrong with my sub, I've had it since 2002 or so.

I have no faith in them being able to fix the problem so I decided to sell the car to CarMax. I bought the car in December for $34,000 for the EX-L model. I sold it for $37,000 with 7,100 miles on it. I paid the car off 42 months early in June and because I had low 1.9% financing, I didn't pay much interest in the five months I paid on the car. Tomorrow I'll go to the dealer and get a refund on the warranty.

I'll use the money to buy a 2023 Accord hybrid when they come out and pay cash.

·
2015 accord sport
39 Posts
Last week, I had taken my Accord to Planet Honda in Golden Colorado to have the SiriusXM antenna repaired because it no longer worked and said that the antenna was shorted on the screen. They claimed they could nothing wrong and that it was telling them to check for active subscription. Nothing was wrong with my sub, I've had it since 2002 or so.

I have no faith in them being able to fix the problem so I decided to sell the car to CarMax. I bought the car in December for $34,000 for the EX-L model. I sold it for $37,000 with 7,100 miles on it. I paid the car off 42 months early in June and because I had low 1.9% financing, I didn't pay much interest in the five months I paid on the car. Tomorrow I'll go to the dealer and get a refund on the warranty.

Yeah, I agree some dealership really sucks, it’s like just they will hire anyone these days who put no effort or enthusiasm in making you happy with their vehicles, to me Hondas are not made like they use to, they compromise on parts so they can make more profit, They charge you two arms and leg now, also they always try to blame what evers wrong with it on you, although it’s a brand new car, so sad. Well at least you sold it for more than what you paid, now you can go and buy a real quality car. I wish I would of never bought my 2015 accord, I’ve already replaced the starter 2 times and I only have 70,000 miles. Peace

·
Registered
12 Posts

Glad to see Planet Honda in Golden is still there. Bought a 2003 Element new from them and soon moved to Texas. My limited experience with them makes me suspect the luck of the draw and who you get as a 'technician' has a lot to do with the service you get. The problem you describe is likely something that could take so many man hours to find and repair makes me think you did the right thing by selling it to CarMax. I did a similar thing with both a Chevy K-1500 and a Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, each suffering from intermittent electronic problems.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
IMO, buy the new HAH from a different dealer.

Just image what this one can't/won't fix if you have a serious (no pun intended) problem with the 2023 HAH... ;)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
That's an amazing price, even at this market! Anytime you can drive a car for free for a few months is a win in my book.

With that said, I'd also give 10G another chance. Check out the 11G when it comes out, if you dig the styling and the way it drives, go for it. If you're not entirely sold on the new gen, check out another 10G. Most likely, the early batch of 11G will have more bugs need to be worked out (ie. more situations where you'd have to deal with the dealers) than a more refined 10G. The 11th Gen will also be comparatively more expensive than 10th Gen if the chip shortage / supply issue isn't completely resolved by then.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Yikes. I hope that you have a low tax rate where you live. I would have waited until the 2023 Accord comes out- and then traded in the 2022. Generally when that happens, you only pay sales tax on the difference between the car that you are trading in and the one that you are buying.

If you sell you car to Carmax... and then go buy a car from a different dealership later on... you end up paying sales tax on the entire value of the new car.

That doesn't really matter if you live in a state that doesn't have a sales tax (or has a low sales tax). At a 5% sales tax, a new Accord sold for $37,000 would result in paying $1850 in sales tax... $50 for ever $1000 you spend on a new car.

If you would have traded your 2022 in and still were able to get $37,000 for it... you likely would have saved nearly $2,000.

When I traded in my 2019 Accord in, the dealer tried to low ball me- and all I had to do is show them the offer that Carmax made on the car and they matched it. Same thing when I traded in my 2021 Accord. They tried to suggest that I should include something that they called "sales tax savings" as part of my trade-in value... but ultimately it was just a ploy to try and offer me less than what the car was worth. I was firm and demanded fair market value- and eventually they agreed for both the 2019 and 2021 Accords.

I completely understand your frustration and lack of faith in your local Honda dealer. There are five different Honda dealers within about thirty minutes of my house- and they all have horrible service departments that try to scam customers into unnecessary services while doing just about anything to deny a warranty claim. It's the main reason why I got rid of my 2021 Accord. It had clear issues yet the dealership refused to fix it under warranty despite several attempts. It's much the same with my wife's 2021 Passport. She loves the car- but it too has an issue that the two different dealerships have refused to fix- saying that they can't replicate the issue. It's a pretty common issue and I've even taken video of it happening- but they still refuse to fix it. Like I said- my wife loves it... but I'm going to try and convince her to get rid of it before the 3yr/36k warranty expires.

It's just bad luck I think. The two Hondas we owned before were extremely well-built and reliable. (A 2016 Accord and then the 2019 Accord) Maybe Honda struggled a bit with quality control during the pandemic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts