Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

When I start lowering my driver door window it sounds like oieces of broken glass scratch against each other. It happens whenever the window is lowered from any position, whether completely closed, partially opened, etc.
Also, when the window is all the way down, it's not actually all the way down, it sticks up a little bit above the glass slot in the door. I can then push it easily down to bring it all the way to where it's supposed to be.
Any idea what's happening? None of the visible glass is broken.
I know how to remove the panle, but not sure how I can replace the window (does anyone know if it's covered under the glass replacement?).

Thanks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rubber that sits against the bottom of the glass (when closed) on the in/outside
OK, so that may cause the "glass scratching" noise, but will also prevent the glass from going all the way to the bottom?
Any idea how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
OK, so that may cause the "glass scratching" noise, but will also prevent the glass from going all the way to the bottom?
Any idea how to fix it?
Yep.
You'll have to remove the door panel and peel back the barrier to see what's going on.
Then, you go from there.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep.
You'll have to remove the door panel and peel back the barrier to see what's going on.
Then, you go from there.
Any suggestions how to reseal the barrier?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Any suggestions how to reseal the barrier?
Just re-attach it with some silicone.Not a big deal.
The task will be to find out about the glass and why it's not sliding correctly.
Might even just need to be lubricated.

Reactions: sbi

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Use plastic plastic pry tools to open the door panel, not a flathead. Watch some yt videos to learn the location of tabs and where & which way to pull.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just re-attach it with some silicone.Not a big deal.
The task will be to find out about the glass and why it's not sliding correctly.
Might even just need to be lubricated.
Thanks.
My issue is less with the fact that the glass doesn't go all the way down (the mechanism does, the window stops about 1/4 inch before the end and I just push it down.) and more with the screaking noise when it starts to go down (again - noise from the glass, not the mechanism itself.

In my experience, if you are careful enough pulling the barrier off from the edges and don't let it get dirty, you can just press it back in place and it will stick just fine, multiple times.

Thanks.
Use plastic plastic pry tools to open the door panel, not a flathead. Watch some yt videos to learn the location of tabs and where & which way to pull.
Yes, got those and watched YT about the panel. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The rubber that sits against the bottom of the glass (when closed) on the in/outside
Exactly. It may have sand in it, and that can be your glass actually being scratched. Once you have the seal out, you can use q-tips to clean it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Have you sorted this? It really sounds like the window regulator is broken. My 7th gen sounded the same way. When I pulled the panel off I saw that the regulator had come apart.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,466 Posts
Something is broken on the regulator (pulley, slack in cable, broken connection). The sound you hear is probably the cable or regulator rubbing on the glass (because something has come apart). Watch some YT videos on how to remove the panel and change the regulator. Using a hair dryer to loosen up the glue on the moisture barrier should help, along with a good sharp blade to cut the adhesive. Good luck

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, problem solved. Turns out, the two bolts that hold the glass mechanism (as in the first picture; there is another one to the right. Both are 10 mm) were loose. I tightened them and all is good now - noise gone and window goes all the way down. God knows how they both got loose but at least it's fixed.

On a side note - a couple of weeks, maybe 2-3 months, after I bought the car I went back to the dealership to complain about the driver's window that goes up/down significantly slower than the passenger's window. Maybe that's the way it is, maybe not. Don't know, I am just super anal/OCD about these things. They argued at first but eventually checked it and determinged that everything was fine.
Well, fast forward 7 years, thanks to the two loose bolts, today I discovered that they simply ripped the insulation open - as you can see in the 2nd pic - and before closing up they simply held the pieces with two small pieces of electrical tape. No wonder my left arm was always cold in the following winters.
M$%^& F^&$%#%^.....Bernardi Honda in Natick, MA, if anyone cares.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,646 Posts
Wow, if the dealer did that, pretty piss poor IMO. That barrier is not that hard to remove properly.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,093 Posts
Well that's definitely chickens__t. I've been buying parts and HondaCare policies from that dealer for about 10 years. So the takeaway I guess, is buy the parts but don't let them fix anything.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, if the dealer did that, pretty piss poor IMO. That barrier is not that hard to remove properly.
Either the dealer did that when they opened up the door when I complained about the window (assuming they actually opened it up and looked at it) or it came like this from Alabama. I never opened this panel until today and we bought the car in June 2013.

EDIT:
I can confirm that they opened the panel, they replaced the window regulator in 2015 (under warranty), just went through my maintenance records.

Reactions: Miker

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
2,674 Posts
Either the dealer did that when they opened up the door when I complained about the window (assuming they actually opened it up and looked at it) or it came like this from Alabama. I never opened this panel until today and we bought the car in June 2013.
Ohio.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Right, sorry, confused with Hyundai :D

Well, I am pretty confident that the window insulation was not ripped in either Ohio or Alabama ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts