Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my accident with a median curb in April I have learned a ton of information about collision repair shops and insurance companies. I choose to have my car repaired at the Honda dealer where I have been a customer for several years. I choose them because I thought I would get genuine Honda parts and that they would know Honda automobiles and follow Honda's service letters and service bulletins.

1. After your car has over 6,000 miles the insurance company will not authorize new parts. Instead they will order recycled parts from a junk yard unless they can't find a usable part. The repair shop will blame the insurance company whenever you make an enquiry or a complaint.

2, Using a collision repair shop not authorized by your insurance company means that your insurance company doesn't have any authority to get them to repair the car in a timely manor nor require them to use OEM parts even when the manufacturer has issued service documents requiring them to use OEM parts.

3. Because you have received good service and quality work from the dealership's service department, the collision repair facility is not managed by the same staff and may not be as accommodating nor hire quality employees.

4. The best advice is to drive defensively and be careful so that you don't have to go through the aggrivation that I have suffered since my accident.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Great points.

You can also ask to tour the collision shop before any work is done so that you can see what the environment is like.

I know a car enthusiast here in Seattle who drove his coupe down to Utah to have some work done because the dozen or so shops he toured (or was refused) was not up to his liking.

·
mobiless2
2,200 Posts
Flyboy, I work in the Collision Industry as a Paint Manufacturer Rep. I was a body man also.

First as for most, choosing an Authorized Collision Center (DRP) means Nothing today. An Authorized Center (DRP) has made concessions with an Insurance Company to save them money, for them getting the most work.

Insurance Companies want to save the most money on a repair, so recycled (Junk Yard) parts, or new aftermarket non-oem parts get used. If you want OEM parts, many times you pay the difference between aftermarket or recycled parts.

Today, everyone wants to Save Money on Insurance, only to find out they are under insured or end up with an Insurance Company that wants to Nickle & Dime you to death.

We need to ask questions to our Insurance Agents, and look closely at our Policy to see what will & will not be replaced. And choose wisely.

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you find the right body shop getting oem parts paid for by the insurance company is not difficult. When my wife rear ended a truck last year I was adamant that new oem parts be used in the repair. The guy at the shop had to order in the aftermarket parts the insurance company wanted to put on our vehicle. He then "found" issues with them and was then given the green light by insurance company to get parts from the dealer. You have to play the game with insurance companies sometimes.

On top of it all she had a dent that flattened out the body line on the passenger door. He noticed and somehow threw it in on the job and when we went to pick up the car it was the first thing I noticed. No way was it cause by the accident but hey I'm not complaining lol.

·
Get off my lawn
249 Posts
Generally, the customers that go with the insurance company direct repair shop are the most satisfied customers. Why? The carriers insist on certain standards as to facilities and equipment, etc. The carrier will likely step quickly in if there is a problem with quality, timeliness (and maybe extend the rental, unless it is a parts delay), and even guarantee the repairs. If you go with your shop, you're on your own. The carrier have very little or no standing to talk to your shop about these issues, if they have no specific contract with your shop, at least in my state.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Flyboy, when you got the FCW reset did the aftermarket windshield end up being compatible with the FCW camera?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flyboy, when you got the FCW reset did the aftermarket windshield end up being compatible with the FCW camera?
No change and the Honda dealer refuses to replace the after market windshield with an OEM windshield. They claim that they tested two new cars and had the same results as the after market windshild that they installed. :crying

·
Registered
2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 with Nav
849 Posts
No change and the Honda dealer refuses to replace the after market windshield with an OEM windshield. They claim that they tested two new cars and had the same results as the after market windshild that they installed. :crying
Those your state offer free windshield replacement when damage? If it those then what are you waiting for.

When i had my accident i took my car to an authorized repair shop, which was my dealer. I asked them if they would use new oem parts, salvage parts or aftermarket parts. They told me that they dont use salvage parts because they cant offer lifetime warranty on them. So i asked if i would be stuck with aftermarket parts, he said no because of their contract with honda they will beat any aftermarket price. I got a new bumper, fender and headlight all oem.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those your state offer free windshield replacement when damage? If it those then what are you waiting for.

When i had my accident i took my car to an authorized repair shop, which was my dealer. I asked them if they would use new oem parts, salvage parts or aftermarket parts. They told me that they dont use salvage parts because they cant offer lifetime warranty on them. So i asked if i would be stuck with aftermarket parts, he said no because of their contract with honda they will beat any aftermarket price. I got a new bumper, fender and headlight all oem.
The dealer's shop is not an authorized repair facility for my insurance company. They also offer a lifetime warranty on both recycled and aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Fortunate consequence of having lived in the same once upon a time smallish town for 22 years...I have good relationships with both a trusted body shop and an excellent indy Honda mech/repair facility.

·
Long live the manual
728 Posts
X2. I yelped my insurance direct shop and had great reviews.
It does help to research the repair shops Before you give them your car. Talking with them in person before hand also gives you an idea of what to expect. I just had a trailer hitch installed on my Coupe one shop asked me to file the holes in the under carriage before bringing the car to them .... I would have had to drop the exhaust to do that its the primary reason I didn't do it Myself. I eliminated that shop for Ignorance.
After a 4 day delay to reschedule the job it got done on a 3 bay U-Haul / Car Repair shop that does these every day ... the Technician let me inspect the work Before he put back the rear portion of the exhaust system. He had to cut into heat shields on both sides to fit the hitch. He did a good job on the installation. Their website also had good reviews of their work. I added my thumbs up review too.
Hang in there Flyboy if you keep slugging away eventually you'll get what you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts