Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2010 8th gen, I don't have any maintaneance scheduled for the near future, the next thing to do is an oil change but I have some miles left. The car was parked like 2 weeks and now I noticed a small noise, like a purr or vibration when is idle at "D" specially when is cold, or stopped with the AC on. I was thinking to add a gas additive to clean the injectors, something like THIS, but before put something strange in my gas tank I would like to know your opinions? Any advice? Preferred brand?

Probably I will go ahead and change the air filter too because there's been a while since last change and is not very expensive, I will replace it for the original or any similar brand, but not an oil based filter like the K&N's.

And lastly, I have some miles left in my oil life, but there was a sale in a local store of the Mobil1 Advanced full synthetic oil and I get it. I check my oil level constantly (every 1 or 2 weeks max) and I never need to add. I know that some hondas consume a lot of oil and dealer says is okay, I really don't want to mess with my motor if now is not burning any oil, do you think I should continue using the dealer oil (I always buy the recommended oil from the honda dealer) or go ahead and use the synthetic? In my mind I know that there should not be any difference and in fact mobil1 synthetic is probably better than the oem oil, but maybe this is a case where I should apply: "if its not broken don't fix it".

Thanks guys!!

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,062 Posts
I would be amazed if switching to M1 gave you any problems. With oil you can really go as crazy as you want. Switch brands every oil change, mix brands, etc.

A few months ago I dumped some Redline SI-1 in my tank and nothing bad happened. Didn't really notice a significant difference, but my injectors are still comparatively new. In my research it seems some cleaners are safer / more concentrated than others. The cheap ones are basically just a bottle of solvent which supposedly you don't want running through your engine.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I've read where quite a few people extol the benefits of Seafoam. I used it in my bike (Kawasaki) a while back and honestly couldn't tell much of a difference. Any input on its effectiveness/benefits when used in an Accord?

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Some gas stations put extra detergents in their gas, like shell, chevron, and 76. So if you use a top tier gasoline http://www.toptiergas.com/ you'd be better off.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,160 Posts
Use this twice a year and you're good. The tip about using Top Tier gasoline is a good one.

Buy the 20 gallon size even though the tank is smaller. Dump it in and filler' up. I learned about this in Yamaha outboard school back in the 80's. It works, just as simple as that. If you have even a hint of a rough idle caused by a dirty fuel system it will be gone by the time you reach 3/4 of a tank. If it's a mechanical problem that's different and will need tended to.....like a bad injector for instance. Even though I use top tier fuel exclusively the Techron is required. Every once in a while I pick up an odd idle that only I would notice. Techron in, idle so smooth you must look at the tach to confirm the engine is running. This is with a Toyota 3.5l V-6 (actually two) by the way. I also used it in my '04 2.4l 5 speed Accord EX. It works every time. I have recommended it on this forum for a decade.......that's how long I've been here.

Many auto parts store put this on "two for the price of one" sale so look for it and stock up. I sure do.

As far as synthetic oil, it is a better product no two ways about it. Is it necessary? No. In fact do you know what your dealer is putting in your car? If not then ask next time. They could be using a synthetic blend, or a standard oil. Either way I like your "if it ain't broke don't fix it" analogy. Mobil 1 will keep the internals cleaner over the long term and protect better. If that is worth the added expense then switch over. Be aware that it is possible that the engine may consume some oil during the first two oil changes. After that it settles down. Your call.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everybody, I will try to get the techron tomorrow, probably the air filter change will be on hold just to see if the injector cleaner do its magic. About the oil, you are right, its my call, probably nothing wrong will happen. When the oil change light turn on I will see, if time fits me I will go with the dealer and buy the same oil that I always get, but If I dont have time I will go with what I already have, the M1 full synthetic.

If I decide to use the full synthetic, the OEM replacement filter still works or I should look for a different filter?

Thanks everybody.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,160 Posts
No special filter required. If you have the M1 you might as well use it. It does you no good on the shelf.

·
Bout it, Bout it
738 Posts
Use this twice a year and you're good. The tip about using Top Tier gasoline is a good one.

Buy the 20 gallon size even though the tank is smaller. Dump it in and filler' up. I learned about this in Yamaha outboard school back in the 80's. It works, just as simple as that. If you have even a hint of a rough idle caused by a dirty fuel system it will be gone by the time you reach 3/4 of a tank. If it's a mechanical problem that's different and will need tended to.....like a bad injector for instance. Even though I use top tier fuel exclusively the Techron is required. Every once in a while I pick up an odd idle that only I would notice. Techron in, idle so smooth you must look at the tach to confirm the engine is running. This is with a Toyota 3.5l V-6 (actually two) by the way. I also used it in my '04 2.4l 5 speed Accord EX. It works every time. I have recommended it on this forum for a decade.......that's how long I've been here.

Many auto parts store put this on "two for the price of one" sale so look for it and stock up. I sure do.

As far as synthetic oil, it is a better product no two ways about it. Is it necessary? No. In fact do you know what your dealer is putting in your car? If not then ask next time. They could be using a synthetic blend, or a standard oil. Either way I like your "if it ain't broke don't fix it" analogy. Mobil 1 will keep the internals cleaner over the long term and protect better. If that is worth the added expense then switch over. Be aware that it is possible that the engine may consume some oil during the first two oil changes. After that it settles down. Your call.
+1 Techron is good stuff and one of the very few non-snake oil products out there. My I35 developed a rough idle that I suspected was from the previous owner using low quality/non-premium gas. I was amazed when a single bottle of Techron cured the issue.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Techron Concentrate Plus is good. I've been using it in all my cars over the last 5 years. I buy them at Auto parts stores when they go on sale. Last time I got 8 of them. Used 3 (2 in my car and 1 in my wife's car) and 5 still in my garage. Can't complain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts