Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why why why in the world would Honda downgrade their premium 451 watt 10 speaker amp with sub woofer to a 150 watt 8 speaker stereo ???? It’s beyond me ….in the accord sport 2.0 T

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Why why why in the world would Honda downgrade their premium 451 watt 10 speaker amp with sub woofer to a 150 watt 8 speaker stereo ???? It’s beyond me ….in the accord sport 2.0 T
They haven't downgraded anything. Honda has never offered a 10th Generation Accord Sport with the premium 450 watt audio system. That system has only been available in the EXL and Touring trim levels... at least going back to the 2018 model year. I don't think Honda put the premium audio setup in the Sport trim level in the 9th Generation Accord either.

For 2018+ Accords, here's how the audio systems have been... and continue to be:
LX: Base stereo w/ 4 speakers, 160 watts.
Sport/Sport Special Edition: Slightly upgraded audio unit w/ 8 speakers and 180 watts.
EXL / Touring: "Premium" audio w/ 10 speakers including a subwoofer, 450 watts.

The Sport, regardless of if it has the 1.5t or 2.0t engine option... comes with the same audio setup that it's had since 2018... although the 2.0t Sport started coming with wireless Apple Carplay/Android auto beginning in 2021. The 1.5t Sport lacks this feature. The wireless function is also standard on 2021 and 2022 EXL and Touring trims.

If you want Honda's "Premium" audio setup, you need to buy an EXL or Touring... and that's been pretty consistent going back years and years. Even Honda's "premium" audio setup in the EXL/Touring isn't great. Better than the lousy systems in the lower trim levels... but there's really nothing "premium" about it. Hopefully that changes when they introduce the next generation. The new Civic Touring comes with a Bose audio setup... it would be nice if Honda would do the same with the next generation Accord.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
A box of cereal doesn’t cost $33,000
It's the same concept though, just on a larger scale. Inflation is high right now and as a result costs are up. Carmakers can either raise the price or cut back on equipment or cost... most are doing a little bit of both. On the Toyota forum I frequent, Highlander buyers are outraged because Toyota no longer offers the fancy digital rearview mirror as standard equipment on the Platinum trim level. It's likely related to the chip shortage, but cost is probably a factor too.

Inflation rose what- like 7% over the past year? Honda raised only raised the cost of an Accord by a few hundred bucks. 7% of a $33,000 is $2,300... so I think Honda was pretty reasonable... especially considering that they didn't downgrade the radio on any Accord model in the past few years. As I mentioned above, they've actually added wireless capability for Apple Carplay and Android Auto and added a wireless phone charger on the higher trim levels.

They also added a $395 fee for certain colors, but generally Honda has done a pretty good job of keeping the Accord's price in-check without deleting features.

·
Registered
698 Posts
A box of cereal doesn’t cost $33,000
You're not paying $33,000 for the audio system. You're buying a car for that price that comes with an audio system that is one of the many included enhancements.

- Jack

Reactions: AccordPirate04

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2012 EX coupe (K24) had the premium sound system. Sounds better than my 19 Sport 2.0 by a wide margin. That would have been the equivalent Sport trim for the 8th gen.

·
Registered
34 Posts

·
19 EX-L 2.0 Obsidian Blue
85 Posts
In this price class of vehicle, "premium" sound is not a priority for the majority of the buying public. Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, Nissan, Chrysler, VW etc... all spend millions on determining consumer preferences. Those results are confirmed by real world sales figures for various trim levels. If a base model Toyota Camry came with a super premium Mark Levenson sound system, and went on to sell millions of vehicles, every manufacturer would take notice and do the same. People today listen to earbuds, soundbars and little 'lifestyle' speakers, premium sound is not a priority. For those relative few people buying vehicles in this price class that want upgraded sound, an extra $2k or so in aftermarket components will get it done.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're not paying $33,000 for the audio system. You're buying a car for that price that comes with an audio system that is one of the many included enhancements.

- Jack
My 2010 Honda Accord had the premium sound system that was leaps and bounds better than the crap stereo they put in my 2022 accord. Honda really screwed the pooch on this one . No way to justify this downgrade on a trim that’s above the exl. Like Hondas not making a killing right now with these sticker prices and financing.

In this price class of vehicle, "premium" sound is not a priority for the majority of the buying public. Honda, Toyota, Ford, GM, Nissan, Chrysler, VW etc... all spend millions on determining consumer preferences. Those results are confirmed by real world sales figures for various trim levels. If a base model Toyota Camry came with a super premium Mark Levenson sound system, and went on to sell millions of vehicles, every manufacturer would take notice and do the same. People today listen to earbuds, soundbars and little 'lifestyle' speakers, premium sound is not a priority. For those relative few people buying vehicles in this price class that want upgraded sound, an extra $2k or so in aftermarket components will get it done.
Let me guess ….you’re a Honda salesman? I’ve had my friends listen to it and they are shocked a car with this price sticker has a terrible sound system. Yes it is important and more than that, it is assumed that a new 2022 car at sticker price and above would have a decent sound system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Let me guess ….you’re a Honda salesman? I’ve had my friends listen to it and they are shocked a car with this price sticker has a terrible sound system. Yes it is important and more than that, it is assumed that a new 2022 car at sticker price and above would have a decent sound system.
People are coming off thinking we are asking for 40 speaker systems. Could it just not be BAD? Again, my 8th gen EX had a better system. No one was gonna confuse it for a 7 series stereo of course. I borrowed my dad's 09 Tacoma base model or at least damn near base. My wife said right away...why's this beat up truck have more bass than your car?

·
19 EX-L 2.0 Obsidian Blue
85 Posts
Ha ha, no, just a realist.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, is it worth it to move the components from a exl or touring to the sport? Or better off going with all aftermarket components. Like if one get get the upgraded for little to nothing from a junkyard, would it be worth the hassle...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was more concerned about the motor with the intent of doing the stereo myself.
So, is it worth it to move the components from a exl or touring to the sport? Or better off going with all aftermarket components. Like if one get get the upgraded for little to nothing from a junkyard, would it be worth the hassle...
Go with aftermarket components. Anecdotally, I’ve heard that even the premium sound is lackluster.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Not strictly true... Canadian Sport and Touring models get the 10 speaker 452W system.
Yeah, I should have mentioned that. I saw that the original poster had an American flag next to their name, so I didn't mention about the Canadian specs.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L, MSM, 2011 Acura TSX
162 Posts
Find a way to defeat that POS center channel speaker and the sound improves 1000%! (This from personal experience even after replacing front door speakers with Alpine components ) I wonder if the location of the front ANC mic above that speaker has something to do with the awful sounding front stage… I currently use a 4” diameter piece of sound deadening foam, but I’m leaning towards just completely disconnecting it.

I think you’ll find the Subaru Outback/Legacy sedans in this price point WAY outclass the Accord in terms of sound quality. I know…I had a 2020 Legacy Limited and I sure miss the HK system.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm not trying to put anyone down, but this whole discussion reminds me of a person deciding on which car to buy based on the quality of the vanity mirror in the sunvisor in each.

If you don't like the quality of the sound system, it's not too hard to replace it with a better one. Sure, it would be nice if the car came with what you liked, but I've never found a car that is perfect in every respect. Things I don't like that I can change, I upgrade.

- Jack

·
Honda Newb
193 Posts
Eight speakers is a pretty big upgrade over four. And the 21 Sport SE does not have wireless Carplay, at least not mine. But "180 watt" is a joke, I'd be surprised if it was really putting out 20.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts