Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My trim level has the Smart Entry system and occasionally when I exit the car and press the lock button on the door handle, nothing happens. I end up opening and closing the door several more times before the car will lock by pressing the button. Sometimes it still doesn't, and I just give up and walk away from the car, leaving it unlocked.

Has anybody else experienced this? :dunno:

·
Registered
514 Posts
In the mean time, you should still be able to lock with the physical key. Unless you don't mind leaving it unlocked...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a Touring and have never experienced that behavior. Are you sure all the other doors are closed when you try to lock the car? When you can't lock it from the door handle are you able to lock it using the keyfob?

·
Registered
547 Posts
As above, did you check to see if all the doors are closed, and the fob is nearby. The other day, the wife was driving with her fob in her bag, she dropped me off, gave me her bag to bring in the house... She pulled it up the driveway, turned car off..got out but would not lock..

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm positive that all the doors are closed when this happens because I'm by myself and there is no indication on the display that any of the doors have been left ajar. Besides that, if any of the passenger doors were open, I'd be able to hear some wind noise from the one that was open.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm positive that all the doors are closed when this happens because I'm by myself and there is no indication on the display that any of the doors have been left ajar. Besides that, if any of the passenger doors were open, I'd be able to hear some wind noise from the one that was open.
What about being able (or not) to lock the car with the keyfob?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Is you hand contacting any other part of the door handle other than the button? Is it possible that you are also touching the sensor on the back of the handle at the same time, therefore cancelling out your lock request? Just a thought.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to me once before, and I noticed my phone was in the same pocket as my key. as soon as I got my key away from my phone, I tried again and my doors locked. I wonder if the phone signal can interrupt the smart key operation or if it was just coincedence..

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I wonder if going around and opening and closing all doors and trunk might re-set something that that would resolve this? Have you tried doing that? Not sure if that will fix it, but it's one box you can check off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's happened to me 4-5 times actually. When pressing the button doesn't work, I just use my keyfob, that's never given me any issues. Honestly 4-5 times isn't a big deal, considering the 100's if not 1000's of times the lock button has worked for me. Maybe cell phone interference?

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about being able (or not) to lock the car with the keyfob?
That's a good point and I haven't tried it. I'll check back as soon as I have.

Is you hand contacting any other part of the door handle other than the button? Is it possible that you are also touching the sensor on the back of the handle at the same time, therefore cancelling out your lock request? Just a thought.
Another good point. I don't think I'm touching the inside of the handle when I lock the car but I'll certainly be more aware when I press the black button.

This happened to me once before, and I noticed my phone was in the same pocket as my key. as soon as I got my key away from my phone, I tried again and my doors locked. I wonder if the phone signal can interrupt the smart key operation or if it was just coincedence..
Yet another good point. I do sometimes keep my phone in the same pocket as my key fob. I'll have to separate them and see what happens.

I wonder if going around and opening and closing all doors and trunk might re-set something that that would resolve this? Have you tried doing that? Not sure if that will fix it, but it's one box you can check off.
I'll try this and see if it helps.

It's happened to me 4-5 times actually. When pressing the button doesn't work, I just use my keyfob, that's never given me any issues. Honestly 4-5 times isn't a big deal, considering the 100's if not 1000's of times the lock button has worked for me. Maybe cell phone interference?

I know what you're saying but I shouldn't have to use the key fob if I paid extra to be able to press the button on the door handle. Even if is just a few times out of many.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Never happened to me, system works great however after picking it up from the audio recall, neither the fob nor the door button worked and something was chiming in the interior when I opened the door.

I thought they gave me the wrong fob. Since the car was unlocked, I started it so I knew I had the right key. I shut it down and I took the metal key and locked/unlocked the door manually and the fob and button worked perfectly and have not had a single problem since then. As mentioned, never a problem before the dealer monkeyed around with it which is why I do all of my own routine service.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
Just a thought, are you holding the key in the same hand you're using to lock the door? If so it might be registering the car inside the vehicle. If its not that, is your cellphone in contact with the key in your pocket?

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never happened to me, system works great however after picking it up from the audio recall, neither the fob nor the door button worked and something was chiming in the interior when I opened the door.

I thought they gave me the wrong fob. Since the car was unlocked, I started it so I knew I had the right key. I shut it down and I took the metal key and locked/unlocked the door manually and the fob and button worked perfectly and have not had a single problem since then. As mentioned, never a problem before the dealer monkeyed around with it which is why I do all of my own routine service.
Words to live by! :yes:

Just a thought, are you holding the key in the same hand you're using to lock the door? If so it might be registering the car inside the vehicle. If its not that, is your cellphone in contact with the key in your pocket?
The fob is in my pocket when this happens. Yes, as I stated in an earlier post, I usually carry them both in the same pocket.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Cell phone interference is a plausible thought but I do not think at all related. I just tested mine in multiple configurations holding the cell and fob together and it worked perfectly.

If you think about it, there is no reason why a digital LTE or 3G cell signal should have any impact on a radio frequency fob signal. The two are entirely unrelated.

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,293 Posts
Cell phone interference is a plausible thought but I do not think at all related. I just tested mine in multiple configurations holding the cell and fob together and it worked perfectly.

If you think about it, there is no reason why a digital LTE or 3G cell signal should have any impact on a radio frequency fob signal. The two are entirely unrelated.
x2...it could be a simple as the button not working, cell phones are no where near the frequencies used here...

·
6 Cylinders and 6 Gears
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
x2...it could be a simple as the button not working, cell phones are no where near the frequencies used here...
This is what I believe the problem to be. I just wish it happened all the time rather than it being an intermittent problem because it's gonna be much harder for the dealer to figure out. :headbash:

·
Retired from Car Biz....
7,293 Posts
This is what I believe the problem to be. I just wish it happened all the time rather than it being an intermittent problem because it's gonna be much harder for the dealer to figure out. :headbash:
try using the little red straw and spray elelc contact cleaner from radio shack in the button sides...keep a rag under it to keep it from dripping (but won't hurt paint...)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts