Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
181 - 200 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
In the previous post, that 16" wheel will NOT fit over the front brakes on the hybrid. All Hybrids have large 12.3" brakes and they will barely clear 17" wheels with about 1/4" to spare. If you by a 16" spare you will only be able to use it on the back of the car. Below the correct parts list using a 17" spare. Notice the foam "tool box" is different for the 17" wheel too (this is the correct part number). If you buy the tire from the dealer it will be about $200. Don't do it! You can buy the same tire (Kumho T135/80D17) for $100 at a tire store. Hope this helps someone.
Part No.Part Description
89310-SHJ-A01Jack Assy., Pantograph
89320-SE5-A01Bar, Jack
84542-TVA-A10Box, Tool
74652-SDA-003Bolt, Spare Tire
74651-S2X-003Adapter, Spare Tire
42751-GYR-053Tire, T135/80D17 1 Kumho
89211-S3V-A11Wrench, Wheel
42700-T2A-L51Disk, Wheel (17X4T) (CMWA)

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the previous post, that 16" wheel will NOT fit over the front brakes on the hybrid. All Hybrids have large 12.3" brakes and they will barely clear 17" wheels with about 1/4" to spare. If you by a 16" spare you will only be able to use it on the back of the car. Below the correct parts list using a 17" spare. Notice the foam "tool box" is different for the 17" wheel too (this is the correct part number). If you buy the tire from the dealer it will be about $200. Don't do it! You can buy the same tire (Kumho T135/80D17) for $100 at a tire store. Hope this helps someone.
Part No.Part Description
89320-SE5-A01Bar, Jack
84542-TVA-A10Box, Tool
will these parts and tire work for the 2021 Honda Accord hybrid EX?

·
Registered
47 Posts
will these parts and tire work for the 2021 Honda Accord hybrid EX?
Yes, all hybrids have the 12.3" brakes so they must have the 17" spare. These are the parts for a 17" spare. My car is a Hybrid Touring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2020 Accord Hybrid- Spare Tire Suggestions?

Hi, appreciate recommendations for purchasing a spare for my new car.
Anyone purchase a spare kit or have feedback on modernspare.com? modern spare accord hybrid option

Does it fit okay in the truck since it is the same trunk space as the Accord?

Thanks for ideas. I am a bit worried about the no spare option during trips and would rather spend a few $$ to ease my mind.

·
Registered
47 Posts
2020 Accord Hybrid- Spare Tire Suggestions?

Hi, appreciate recommendations for purchasing a spare for my new car.
Anyone purchase a spare kit or have feedback on modernspare.com? modern spare accord hybrid option

Does it fit okay in the truck since it is the same trunk space as the Accord?

Thanks for ideas. I am a bit worried about the no spare option during trips and would rather spend a few $$ to ease my mind.
I looked at Modern Spare but wasn't sure it would fit in the trunk with support for luggage etc (the foam piece that holds the tools may not fit over this Modern Spare). Also this solution is designed to fit multiple cars, not just the Accord. I went with the factory parts. Buy the rubber tire from a tire store and save $100. This puts the whole package at about $350 which is no more expensive than this aftermarket kit.
Part No.Part Description
89320-SE5-A01Bar, Jack
84542-TVA-A10Box, Tool

Reactions: Ziyang

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd like to thank drumdudeguy for the comprehensive breakdown and recent posts about this issue. I am honestly pretty naive about DIY car projects, and your posts really helped me feel confident I could make this work.

Here is my anecdotal experience putting the kit together, the spare tire is in my trunk as of yesterday afternoon, hopefully this helps someone in a similar situation:

I purchased a new 2021 Accord Hybrid EX-L at the end of March 2021. Before I completed the purchase, I researched the spare tire kit on Reddit and YouTube before I eventually found this forum. During the purchase, I asked the dealer to include the tool box (84542-TVA-A10) in the sale. I was given a "we-owe" receipt and told I would be contacted when it arrived, the cost was about $35. I did this because I read somewhere this part is very light, but shipping is expensive and not cost-effective given the large size of the box it needs to ship in - if you can, only order this part from the dealer and get everything else elsewhere.

After I left the dealer, I researched several websites for ordering the OEM parts from the parts list drumdudeguy posted. I looked at several websites and eventually chose hondapartswholesaledirect.com (I am not affiliated with this company in any way, online reviews were not great but it worked out OK for me). I ordered everything from the OEM parts list except for the Kumho tire and the tool box I ordered when I purchased the car from the dealer. Total cost was $220 after tax and shipping. I ordered the parts on March 31st, they arrived on April 9th.

When the parts arrived, I started looking for the Kumho tire. I started at Les Schwab, where they told my I could not buy the Kumho T135/80D17 alone, I would need to buy the wheel as well. I told them I already had the wheel, and they said they could not help me further. I then went to Discount Tire, where I asked them for the Kumho T135/80D17, and for them to mount it to the rim I had purchased. They said no problem, ordered the tire on April 10th and it arrived on April 16th. Total cost for the tire and to mount to the rim was $109 after tax. It took them maybe 10 minutes to get the tire on the rim and I was on my way.

So all together, in a state with ~10% sales tax, I paid ~$364 to get the spare tire setup.

One thing to note, I thought the tool box was far too small and would not work out when it first arrived. It did not line up at all with the trunk and I was a little concerned. After getting the tire mounted to the rim, and after placing it in the trunk, the tool box fits just fine. The trunk liner folds on top evenly - a fitted trunk liner should work fine with the spare tire set up if you are looking for one.

Thank you to drumdudeguy and everyone in this community for the detailed posts you all have made about this!

DirtyRay

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd like to thank drumdudeguy for the comprehensive breakdown and recent posts about this issue. I am honestly pretty naive about DIY car projects, and your posts really helped me feel confident I could make this work.

Here is my anecdotal experience putting the kit together, the spare tire is in my trunk as of yesterday afternoon, hopefully this helps someone in a similar situation:

I purchased a new 2021 Accord Hybrid EX-L at the end of March 2021. Before I completed the purchase, I researched the spare tire kit on Reddit and YouTube before I eventually found this forum. During the purchase, I asked the dealer to include the tool box (84542-TVA-A10) in the sale. I was given a "we-owe" receipt and told I would be contacted when it arrived, the cost was about $35. I did this because I read somewhere this part is very light, but shipping is expensive and not cost-effective given the large size of the box it needs to ship in - if you can, only order this part from the dealer and get everything else elsewhere.

After I left the dealer, I researched several websites for ordering the OEM parts from the parts list drumdudeguy posted. I looked at several websites and eventually chose hondapartswholesaledirect.com (I am not affiliated with this company in any way, online reviews were not great but it worked out OK for me). I ordered everything from the OEM parts list except for the Kumho tire and the tool box I ordered when I purchased the car from the dealer. Total cost was $220 after tax and shipping. I ordered the parts on March 31st, they arrived on April 9th.

When the parts arrived, I started looking for the Kumho tire. I started at Les Schwab, where they told my I could not buy the Kumho T135/80D17 alone, I would need to buy the wheel as well. I told them I already had the wheel, and they said they could not help me further. I then went to Discount Tire, where I asked them for the Kumho T135/80D17, and for them to mount it to the rim I had purchased. They said no problem, ordered the tire on April 10th and it arrived on April 16th. Total cost for the tire and to mount to the rim was $109 after tax. It took them maybe 10 minutes to get the tire on the rim and I was on my way.

So all together, in a state with ~10% sales tax, I paid ~$364 to get the spare tire setup.

One thing to note, I thought the tool box was far too small and would not work out when it first arrived. It did not line up at all with the trunk and I was a little concerned. After getting the tire mounted to the rim, and after placing it in the trunk, the tool box fits just fine. The trunk liner folds on top evenly - a fitted trunk liner should work fine with the spare tire set up if you are looking for one.

Thank you to drumdudeguy and everyone in this community for the detailed posts you all have made about this!

DirtyRay
So is it NOT recommended to purchase all the parts besides the tire from the dealer? Is it more economical to buy just the tool box and then shop the other parts online? Thanks everyone for this great thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So is it NOT recommended to purchase all the parts besides the tire from the dealer? Is it more economical to buy just the tool box and then shop the other parts online? Thanks everyone for this great thread.
I purchased all parts online except the tool box and the Kumho tire with the understanding that dealership pricing is generally more expensive than ordering OEM parts online.

I don't have a side-by-side cost comparison of online vs. dealership available, but you could put in a request for the parts list with your local dealer(s) and see what they say. I would assume it is more economical to buy the other parts online, but someone please correct me if I am wrong here.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought everything but the tire itself from Bernardi's. The list and cost breakdown is in Post 129 of this thread. Free shipping and no tax. $176.90 total cost.

- Jack

Reactions: Ziyang

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought everything but the tire itself from Bernardi's. The list and cost breakdown is in Post 129 of this thread. Free shipping and no tax. $176.90 total cost.

- Jack
Important to note, I live in WA state, and combined state/local tax is 10.1%. Subtotal before tax and shipping for me was $143. Free shipping and/or no tax would be ideal if you can find a website/wholesaler that can accommodate that where you live. (Just checked the Bernardi site briefly and they are promoting that they are offering free shipping, not sure what criteria is but worth looking into).

This is the price breakdown I paid from hondapartswholesaledirect.com (I am not affiliated with this company - I also looked at hondapartsdirect.com\hondapartsnow.com/hondafactoryparts.com - each were $215 or less):

Part Number​
Part Name​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
42700-T2A-L51​
Disk, Wheel (17X4T) (Cmwa)​
$77.87​
1​
$77.87​
89211-S3V-A11​
Wrench, Wheel​
$11.47​
1​
$11.47​
74651-S2X-003​
Adapter, Spare Tire​
$6.33​
1​
$6.33​
74652-SDA-003​
Bolt, Spare Tire​
$4.84​
1​
$4.84​
89320-SE5-A01​
Bar, Jack​
$23.98​
1​
$23.98​
89310-SHJ-A01​
Jack Assembly, Pantograph​
$19.04​
1​
$19.04​

·
Registered
630 Posts
The tax rate in AZ, where I live is around 8%. It's possible Bernardis would be applying tax now, but they didn't about a year ago when I bought the parts. Looks like your price list is about what mine was Ray, but I notice you did not get the "Tool Box", which would have added close to $30 to your total.

- Jack

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got prices off the hondapartsdirect website and took them to my dealer. The prices were less but shipping was not cheap. My dealer knew this and took that into account with the prices. All in I was around $350.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called dealership in Orange county CA this morning. They are confirmed that part number 84542-TVA-A10 superseded by 84542-TVA-A00. So basically there is only one available on this part. I couldn't confirm by calling other dealership, but I will get that tomorrow so I will report back either it will seamlessly fit to 17 inch spare tire.

I picked up the 84542-TVA-A00 from dealership along with adapter and bolt. I bought brand new Goodyear tire installed T135/80D17 temporary spare for $20 locally. I feel like I steal the stolen spare tire. Anyway A00 fit perfect over 17 inch wheel, so I think either A00 or A10 should be OK to buy whatever available. Jack and wrench set is coming from mail and I end up to spend $130 to finished adding spare tire project on my 2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the 2021 Hybrid Accord Touring and did not get a spare donut tire, I have requested one to buy but I'm told that if I don't have an Accord that has a spare now the wait from the "warehouse" is indefinite.
I checked to see if the Honda 36 month Roadside Assistance includes free towing if you just have a flat tire and no spare and an inflate kit won't inflate the tire properly. The answer is NO since only mechanical breakdowns include towing. This is true of my Geico Roadside Assistance coverage as well.
Is there a fix to this meaning obtaining the spare donut tire, wheel and jack kit?

·
Gearhead Girl 🤟
1,148 Posts
You can check junkyards for them. Or, you could pick up a jack seperately and then just pick up a spare tire from a tire shop.

·
VCM DELETE
920 Posts
Depending on how the tire got flat, Fix a Flat works good too,(unless sidewall was slashed) there is enough pressure in can to inflate the tire then you can limp it home and park it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got the 2021 Hybrid Accord Touring and did not get a spare donut tire, I have requested one to buy but I'm told that if I don't have an Accord that has a spare now the wait from the "warehouse" is indefinite.
I checked to see if the Honda 36 month Roadside Assistance includes free towing if you just have a flat tire and no spare and an inflate kit won't inflate the tire properly. The answer is NO since only mechanical breakdowns include towing. This is true of my Geico Roadside Assistance coverage as well.
Is there a fix to this meaning obtaining the spare donut tire, wheel and jack kit?
Yes. Scroll up to see the complete part list you need and websites where you can purchase the parts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do have the spare tire and associated parts on order with a dealer now two weeks ago. The dealer said that it is on back order but can give me no date. What are owners of older cars doing now when there is a shortage of parts? Waiting and renting cars for months?

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
53 Posts
I do have the spare tire and associated parts on order with a dealer now two weeks ago. The dealer said that it is on back order but can give me no date. What are owners of older cars doing now when there is a shortage of parts? Waiting and renting cars for months?
my order just came in today so it’s not too bad.

181 - 200 of 244 Posts