Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
221 - 240 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I've just ordered all the parts to do this spare tire thing for my 2021 Accord Hybrid Touring, except for the foam "tool box" (Part # 84542-TVA-A10). For some reason the cost to ship this specific part is utterly ridiculous. The cheapest shipping I've found online is $52 from Bernardi which makes it $81 in total. All the other parts (including the rim!) had free shipping from them. Is this normal? Most places have a $100+ shipping cost for this one specific part!

And this point I just plan on putting all the parts in a bag and skipping the foam tool insert until things maybe change.

Also the spare tire (KUMHO 131 SPARE T 135 /80 D17) also seems to be back ordered or out of stock almost everywhere, but got it coming from TireRack supposedly in 4 weeks. Things be crazy.

·
Registered
‘21 HAH EX-L Platinum White Privilege
53 Posts
Also the spare tire (KUMHO 131 SPARE T 135 /80 D17) also seems to be back ordered or out of stock almost everywhere, but got it coming from TireRack supposedly in 4 weeks. Things be crazy.
I used a 125/70-17 that was from my previous ride that weighed a bunch more than my HAH. Look into that. Its still a higher load range than the stock tire size (98 vs 94) and In stock for cheap. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...MD7FK090&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Or you could go wider with a 145/80…just need to make sure it fits in the well at 26.5” OD.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
So I got a flat in my 2019 HAH. Pulled over, used repair kit, the repair liquid just ran out of the hole onto the pavement. Called Honda Roadside, they said maybe we can find you a tow truck in the next 6-8 hours. Couldn't find a tow truck to save my life, wife and I both calling everyone. Sat there for an hour, got absolutely no where, cars whizzing by. No spare, no tow truck, totally F'd. Went on Google maps, found a tire shop 2.1 miles away. Drove on flat tire at 10mph. Got to the shop, they didn't have my tire, bought some other tire that fit. Looking for a spare tire kit now.

The next day I got a text from Honda that a tow truck was on the way. Bottom line, don't rely on Honda Roadside, or the tire repair kit.
As the originator of this thread, I can't think of a better scenario to show why putting a spare tire in the HAH is the best idea since sliced bread. If you can't rely on the tire repair kit or on Honda roadside assistance--which was always my contention anyway, even though I have not yet had to use either--then you can really end up in a jam if you get a flat.

Thanks to all the posters who pitched in and took this thread much further than I ever thought it would go, and for making it relevant and user-friendly to everyone considering the spare-tire "option."

·
Registered
174 Posts
So I've just ordered all the parts to do this spare tire thing for my 2021 Accord Hybrid Touring, except for the foam "tool box" (Part # 84542-TVA-A10). For some reason the cost to ship this specific part is utterly ridiculous. The cheapest shipping I've found online is $52 from Bernardi which makes it $81 in total. All the other parts (including the rim!) had free shipping from them. Is this normal? Most places have a $100+ shipping cost for this one specific part!

And this point I just plan on putting all the parts in a bag and skipping the foam tool insert until things maybe change.

I got the foam tool box 2 years ago at the dealer for around $40, no shipping charge. It's probably more now, but give it a try.

·
Registered
68 Posts
So I got a flat in my 2019 HAH. Pulled over, used repair kit, the repair liquid just ran out of the hole onto the pavement. Called Honda Roadside, they said maybe we can find you a tow truck in the next 6-8 hours. Called around, couldn't find a tow truck to save my life, wife and I both calling everyone. Sat there for an hour, got absolutely no where, cars whizzing by. No spare, no tow truck, totally F'd. Went on Google maps, found a tire shop 2.1 miles away. Drove on flat tire at 10mph. Got to the shop, they didn't have my tire, bought some other tire that fit. Looking for a spare tire kit now.

The next day I got a text from Honda that a tow truck was on the way. Bottom line, don't rely on Honda Roadside, or the tire repair kit.
Update. Just received my complete spare tire kit, it was pulled from a wrecked 2020 Accord. Got it off Ebay for about $340 total. The kit contains a 17" Goodyear tire that is mounted already. I installed everything in the trunk and fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I understand it, the inflater that comes in place of a spare, is only good for 1 repair. Can it be refilled with sealer or does a new one have to be purchased?

I'm going to acquire a spare and tools for sure.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L (radiant red metallic)
47 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story. The Roadside Assistance answer of "maybe we can find you a tow truck in the next 6-8 hours" is pretty disappointing. Your solution to drive slow on the flat was a good idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. A horrible situation... glad you made it out safely!

It would be interesting to see performance metrics for Roadside Assistance. Seems like Honda, the local dealer, and Roadside Assistance should have this data. While I'd like to believe that your experience was an aberration rather than what Honda customer should expect, without data there's no way to know.

In any case, given your experience it looks like it's time to put together a spare kit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
EDIT: I posted the questions below before checking whether this topic was already covered. Big mistake! Thanks for putting up with me.

I'm willing to spend the money for a spare tire for my 2021 Accord Hybrid Touring. There are, so far as I am aware, two sources: the kit sold by Modern Spare, and OEM parts from Honda. My dealer neither encourages nor discourages installing a spare, and is willing to sell me the OEM parts from a non-hybrid Touring car. I only have two concerns that I'd like to ask about:

1- An objection sometimes raised against doing this is that the tire will be too close to the car's battery. I presume the concern is about the heat from the battery. Is this really something I need to worry about?

2- If anyone has actually done this, either with Modern's kit or with OEM parts: Does the trunk floor sit flat with the spare installed, or does the spare cause part of the floor to be raised?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm willing to spend the money for a spare tire for my 2021 Accord Hybrid Touring. There are, so far as I am aware, two sources: the kit sold by Modern Spare, and OEM parts from Honda. My dealer neither encourages nor discourages installing a spare, and is willing to sell me the OEM parts from a non-hybrid Touring car. I only have two concerns that I'd like to ask about:

1- An objection sometimes raised against doing this is that the tire will be too close to the car's battery. I presume the concern is about the heat from the battery. Is this really something I need to worry about?

2- If anyone has actually done this, either with Modern's kit or with OEM parts: Does the trunk floor sit flat with the spare installed, or does the spare cause part of the floor to be raised?

Thanks for your help!
No issues with heat. The space is there just like any other Accord for a spare. Honda just elected to not put it in. I would not buy the Modern kit because you need the exact size wheel, tire and other parts and the main thing is you need the "box". The box is the foam that sits in the tire to make the trunk floor sit flat. With the wrong size or aftermarket spare, the floor may not sit flat. Basically this parts list will outfit your car just like any other Accord that came with the spare. Factory parts.
Part No.Part Description
89310-SHJ-A01Jack Assy., Pantograph
89320-SE5-A01Bar, Jack
84542-TVA-A10Box, Tool
74652-SDA-003Bolt, Spare Tire
74651-S2X-003Adapter, Spare Tire
42751-GYR-053Tire, T135/80D17 1 Kumho (Cheaper from Discount Tire than the dealer)
89211-S3V-A11Wrench, Wheel
42700-T2A-L51Disk, Wheel (17X4T) (CMWA)

Reactions: sundayt

·
Registered
36 Posts
No issues with heat. The space is there just like any other Accord for a spare. Honda just elected to not put it in. I would not buy the Modern kit because you need the exact size wheel, tire and other parts and the main thing is you need the "box". The box is the foam that sits in the tire to make the trunk floor sit flat. With the wrong size or aftermarket spare, the floor may not sit flat.
Thanks for your reply, and please note the edit I added to my question wherein I apologize for not realizing that this topic has been extensively discussed.

BTW: My 2021 HAH Touring also has the Sonic Gray Pearl color. It turns heads everywhere I go.

I'm still not confident to make a decision between OEM parts and the Modern Spare kit. If OEM parts cost the same or close to the kit, I suppose I should prefer OEM parts. I don't see the foam container (for the other parts) in either parts list. Not knowledgeable enough to compare wheel sizes, however I am the type who will go straight to a dealer or tire store after replacing a flat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for your reply, and please note the edit I added to my question wherein I apologize for not realizing that this topic has been extensively discussed.

BTW: My 2021 HAH Touring also has the Sonic Gray Pearl color. It turns heads everywhere I go.

I'm still not confident to make a decision between OEM parts and the Modern Spare kit. If OEM parts cost the same or close to the kit, I suppose I should prefer OEM parts. I don't see the foam container (for the other parts) in either parts list. Not knowledgeable enough to compare wheel sizes, however I am the type who will go straight to a dealer or tire store after replacing a flat.
The foam container is called the Tool Box. It's expensive to ship so you may want to buy from a local dealer. You need a 17" spare to fit over the front brakes on the hybrid. I would go with the exact size as in my parts list. Otherwise your trunk floor may not fit flat.
84542-TVA-A10Box, Tool

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sincere thanks to you and to everyone else who has shared their experience and time in this thread. Great work folks.

After comparing the parts list provided here to the parts included with the Modern Spare kit, I am satisfied that both have the same parts. Are the parts provided from Modern Spare of better quality or better suited to the job? How should I know? OEM should be good enough. If the Modern Spare parts were significantly better, someone here would have brought that up by now.

For anyone else who suffers from Mechanical Knowledge Anxiety Syndrome, the following explanation of the parts list may prove helpful:

89310-SHJ-A01 Jack Assy., Pantograph
The jack, only
89320-SE5-A01 Bar, Jack
The metal bar that raises and lowers the jack
84542-TVA-A10 Box, Tool
The foam enclosure that holds the tire snugly in place; also holds the other parts
74652-SDA-003 Bolt, Spare Tire
A screw down bolt that attaches the wheel to the floor
74651-S2X-003 Adapter, Spare Tire
An adapter for the screw down bolt
42751-GYR-053 Tire, T135/80D17 1 Kumho
The actual compact tire
89211-S3V-A11 Wrench, Wheel
The wrench needed to loosen/tighten lug nuts
42700-T2A-L51 Disk, Wheel (17X4T) (CMWA)
The actual wheel
--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm currently shopping the parts list and not finding a huge difference among sellers. As it happens, I don't live far from Bernardi so I may go there to save on shipping. Not getting the tire from the dealer. If anyone has had a particularly good experience with a seller, please let me/us know.

Finally: Why is there a $15 "core charge" for the wheel?

·
Registered
2021 Accord lx and 2021 Accord Hybrid base
198 Posts
As the originator of this thread, I can't think of a better scenario to show why putting a spare tire in the HAH is the best idea since sliced bread. If you can't rely on the tire repair kit or on Honda roadside assistance--which was always my contention anyway, even though I have not yet had to use either--then you can really end up in a jam if you get a flat.

Thanks to all the posters who pitched in and took this thread much further than I ever thought it would go, and for making it relevant and user-friendly to everyone considering the spare-tire "option."
i did get a nail an used the spare. The pump also works well when tires are low so that a nice to have under the seat.

Reactions: sundayt

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
i did get a nail an used the spare. The pump also works well when tires are low so that a nice to have under the seat.
Be sure to recalibrate the TPMS after you add air to any of the tires or you may get a low pressure warning that won't go away. I learned that the hard way...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally finished picking up the foam "tool box" from a Honda dealership and getting the tire mounted on the rim. Looks great, trunk floor is nice and flat, and everything fit perfectly! For anyone who doesn't want to search through the thread, here's the part list I used for my 2021 Hybrid Touring. I used Bernardi to buy most of the parts online (but you can use any Honda part website by just searching for the part numbers). Got the tire from Tirerack.com and had it shipped to my house. The tire took a few weeks because everywhere was out of stock, and interestingly they just literally slap a UPS sticker on the tire and ship it as-is. Then because of the extremely high shipping costs for the foam tool box online, I got it from a local Honda dealership.

Thanks for all the info from everyone!

89320-SE5-A01 Bar, Jack $28.11
89310-SHJ-A01 Jack Addy., PANTOGRAPH $22.32
89211-S3V-A11 Wrench, Wheel $11.14
74651-S2X-003 Adapter, Spare Tire $6.28
74652-SDA-003 Bolt, Spare Tire $4.81
42700-T2A-L51 Disk, Wheel (17X4T) (CMWA) $74.35

84542-TVA-A10 Box, Tool $52.53 (from dealership)
T135/80D-17 KUMHO SPARE TIRE T131 $114.06

Mounting the tire on the rim at Discount Tire: $10

Total: $323.60

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I decided to go the easy route. I put a full size spare and rim in the trunk of my car. It's plenty big enough to hold a tire and still give me plenty of room to put groceries and such. I bought a LSU tire cover to put on top of it.
I have free roadside assistance with Geico so if there's a flat I'll call them and they can come change it so no need for me to keep any jacks or anything in my car. #simple

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
430 Posts
Well I decided to go the easy route. I put a full size spare and rim in the trunk of my car. It's plenty big enough to hold a tire and still give me plenty of room to put groceries and such. I bought a LSU tire cover to put on top of it.
I have free roadside assistance with Geico so if there's a flat I'll call them and they can come change it so no need for me to keep any jacks or anything in my car. #simple

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6
It’s the solution I’m considering!

So a quick question, can you take some photos to show how much trunk space is taken by the full size? Much thanks!

·
Registered
523 Posts

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6
Don't know about you but I'm not waiting hours for some roadside when it takes 10min to change the spare but to each their own.

221 - 240 of 244 Posts