Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the information I've seen to date shows that the 2018 Accord Hybrid will come with a Tire Repair Kit instead of the compact spare that's standard in the conventional versions. I assume Honda eliminated the spare tire to reduce weight and thus perhaps eke out another 0.001 MPG.

I get an average of probably two flat tires per year, mainly from nails and screws that litter the streets where I live, and for that reason I've never considered buying a car that doesn't have some kind of spare tire. I just don't trust repair kits.

But I like everything else that I've learned about the '18 Hybrid so much that it almost overrides my strong objection to its apparent lack of a spare.

Does anyone know if the Hybrid has the same well under the trunk floor as the conventional Accords, in which a spare tire COULD be carried if purchased separately?

Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't know, but maybe that space was used for the batteries? lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibly, but I think not.

Honda is making a big deal about saying that the Hybrid trunk is exactly the same size as the non-hybrid one, unlike earlier versions in which the battery blocked the pass-through to the rear seats. AFAIK, the battery is all under the rear seat in the '18 and doesn't reduce trunk space at all.

Thanks.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You could always put it in the back seat. I hear those are huge in the new Accord.

Also, given that we still have no ETA on the hybrid, I'm starting to think it's coming the same time as the Mazda CX-5 diesel.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could always put it in the back seat. I hear those are huge in the new Accord.

You joke, but my old 1978 Datsun 280Z, which I still own, has an inflatable spare that is no bigger than the standard steel wheel until you blow it up with a can of compressed air. There's no room for a bigger tire under the hatchback "trunk" floor, so I've had a full-size tire securely strapped in place back there on the floor for decades.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 2017 Hybrid had the well in the trunk but if a spare was there and there was a rear end collision the tire would be driven into the battery pack. As I understand it that is the reason for no spare tire.
EddieZ
Austin, TX

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, EddieZ.

Yeah, I've run across that explanation since my original post.

I'm both encouraged and discouraged by it--encouraged because, if the well is there in the 2018 Hybrid, that addresses 90% of my issue; discouraged because Honda may not sell me a spare tire, jack and tools to put in there if they claim it's a "safety" issue, and I may have to resort to eBay or some other third-party seller, which I don't really want to do.

And making it a "safety" issue is bogus anyway, IMHO, because my 2004 Prius that I'm looking to replace with an '18 Accord Hybrid has a spare tire in the well under the trunk floor and the battery is right in front of it.

And even if it WERE a legitimate safety issue, I'd rather have a spare tire on hand for the virtually certain occasion when I'll get a flat, rather than NO spare because of the remote chance of getting rear-ended in a specific way.

Thanks again for the information.

·
無限
55 Posts
Take a peek at the attached video. It is possible to have a spare tire. I will be buying a Hybrid Tourning soon, and will ask the dealer to install after watching this video.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No tire....

My first post here....woo hoo...new car, new user forum!

My new 2018 Honda Accord Hybrid EXL has the same spare tire well under the trunk floor mat as the full gas powered one (it looks like it would fit a donut). I also got the larger plastic mat as part of the dealer package that covers the whole trunk floor area.

I did not want to ride around without a spare tire for any reason. :0 I also had zero faith in the little inflator device that comes with the car. Of course, nothing was available from Honda. I didn't try to get the stuff in the video because I am sure it would have been more expensive that just a tire/jack/wrench would cost from O'Reilly/Discount Tire.

My car has the 17" inch tires, so I ended up with getting a 16" full size tire and wheel (no one seemed to have a donut that would work) to fit both the fender well, the bolt pattern, and the trunk well. I removed the styrofoam insert in the trunk of course.

It does pooch the trunk plastic mat up just a little bit, but not so bad as to be distracting and the full floor mat covers it very well. I also bought a small scissor jack and a lug wrench for it. In the well, I was able to put the tire, the lug wrench and the cheesy factor inflator all snugly placed. The only thing I could not fit was the scissor jack, so now I need a trunk organizer to keep it from rolling around. I still have all of the trunk space available.

Also, in the well area itself there is also a small raised area with a hole in it where typically a long bolt with a giant washer would screw into it over the tire. That would hold the tire in place in the well and you would remove it when pulling out the spare. I did not try and track down a bolt/washer thingee yet, but I bet the Honda dealer might have that part. You can see this in the video above as well.

I will put up with the added weight for peace of mind. I had also seen some chatter around while searching for tires that Honda thought it might get shoved into the battery area during a crash......but I figured so could a lot of other things.

Hope that helps anyone else looking for the info. I can put in pictures if anyone really needs to see.....:nerd But the above video really helps see it all.

Z_M.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Z_M,

Since my Hybrid Touring hasn't been delivered yet, I haven't seriously looked for a spare tire kit for it other than some on-line research.

I AM disappointed that you say "nothing was available from Honda." Are you saying that you CANNOT buy a regular non-hybrid Accord spare tire from Honda? Is it out of stock, or can't they legally sell it if they know it's going to go into a Hybrid, or is it back-ordered, or NEVER available, or what?

Thanks for the detailed post!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I specified a hybrid when I talked to the parts person at a Honda dealership and he said they don't make one for the hybrid (even though I suspect its the same thing that goes in the non-hybrid). I didn't try to order a tire from Honda for a non-hybrid to go in my hybrid. That probably would have worked....I really just wanted to get as close to a full size tire. Not perfect, by far, but good enough in fit for my purposes.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I don't know, but maybe that space was used for the batteries? lol
The 2017 Hybrid had the well in the trunk but if a spare was there and there was a rear end collision the tire would be driven into the battery pack. As I understand it that is the reason for no spare tire.
EddieZ
Austin, TX
The battery pack in the 2018 Accord Hybrid is located beneath the rear seats as opposed to behind the rear seats as in the 2017 Accord Hybrid.

The spare tire pan for the Hybrid models has a different part number (65550-TWA-A00ZZ) than non-Hybrid models (65550-TZA-A00ZZ), so there is some difference between the two.

The Civic Si, for example, has a different spare tire pan than non-Si Civics - it's shallower to accommodate the Si's exhaust. US Civic Si's come with a tire repair kit. Canadian Civic Si's come with a spare tire, but foam spacers are also included to make the trunk floor level (which also eats up trunk space).

·
無限
55 Posts
I just picked up my 2018 Hybrid Touring. The dealer could not sell me the spare tire (liability issues) but they did give me the parts list (specific to the Hybrids 17 in wheels).

DHC Academy Honda Parts Department (in NJ) quoted me over $500. I ordered what I needed online for $300 (prices are similar across all online sites). Here is the part list;

84542-TVA-A00 BOX, TOOL
89211-S3V-A11 Wrench, Wheel
89310-SHJ-A01 Jack Assy., Pantograph
89320-SE5-A01 Bar, Jack
42751-KEN-007 TIRE, TEMPORARY (T135/90D16) (102M) (KENDA)
42700-T2A-A52 Wheel,Disk 16X4T
74651-S2X-003 Adapter, Spare Tire
74652-SDA-003 Bolt, Spare Tire

The only bummer, the tire and rim are separate...will have to mount on my own.

I hoe this helps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another informative post, BiBNJ. Thanks!

My Hybrid is due in next week. I'll probably drive it for a few months before I try to install a spare tire. Your parts list in invaluable.

Please keep up the great posts after you get the parts and tell us if you had any issues installing them.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I found two different models of the box, tool. Does anyone have any idea which one works better in a Honda Hybrid Touring?

84542-TVA-A00 for trims: EX, EX-L, EX-L (NAVI), LX

85452-TVA-A10 for trims: 20EX-L, 20EX-L (NAVI), 20SPT, 20TRNG, SPORT, TRNG

·
無限
55 Posts
Hi litho.... 84542-TVA-A00 is for the 17 inch tire that comes with the Hybrid. The others are for the 19 inch tire.

On my previous post you'll see the list of parts specific to the 17" tire. I expect my order to come in early next week and I'll post photos of the before and after!

·
Registered
7 Posts
That makes perfect sense. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

I started buying the necessary parts. I purchased a good spare and some of the jack parts on eBay and I purchased the rest of the parts from a local dealer. I have everything except 84542-TVA-A00. My dealer told me it showed backordered in his system. Hopefully it will come in quickly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As the thread starter, I want to offer a heartfelt "thanks a lot" to you guys and/or gals who are providing information on fitting a real spare tire in the '18 Accord Hybrid.

You're performing an invaluable service to us--ahem! cough! cough!--"older" folks who have enough experience under our belts to KNOW that some day we're gonna NEED a spare tire.

Keep up the great posts. and thanks again!

·
無限
55 Posts
Hey guys, my online order for my spare came in, and I am happy to report everything fit like a glove! This is what I ordered from HondaPartsNow.com (btw - they were great);

84542-TVA-A00 BOX, TOOL
89211-S3V-A11 Wrench, Wheel
89310-SHJ-A01 Jack Assy., Pantograph
89320-SE5-A01 Bar, Jack
42751-KEN-007 TIRE, TEMPORARY (T135/90D16) (102M) (KENDA)
42700-T2A-A52 Wheel,Disk 16X4T
74651-S2X-003 Adapter, Spare Tire
74652-SDA-003 Bolt, Spare Tire

I did go to the local gas station to have the tire mounted ($10) & the white gas nozzle came from the original kit.

Now I have piece of mind!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 145 Posts