Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Rick,

So, I looked up the parts from College Hills Honda (2018 Honda 2.0T Touring) everything but the tire, which they didn't list. The tire is t135/80d17 with Kenda being the brand that typically comes with Honda vehicles. [note, I have the set from post #14, so this isn't verified by personally placing on the vehicle). Prices exclude shipping. You might be able to get better price + shipping cost elsewhere or even get your local dealer to match this price. Note, the tire likely cost less than $100 for Kenda brand.

Box, Tool
Product ID: 84542-TVA-A10 $24.86
Wrench, Wheel
Product ID: 89211-S3V-A11 $9.76
Jack Assembly, Pantograph
Product ID: 89310-SHJ-A01 $20.45
Bar, Jack
Product ID: 89320-SE5-A01 $24.64
Adapter, Spare Tire
Product ID: 74651-S2X-003 $5.84
Bolt, Spare Tire
Product ID: 74652-SDA-003 $4.48
Disk, Wheel (17X4T) (Cmwa)
Product ID: 42700-T2A-L51
Price includes refundable core charge ($15.00 per item) $82.52

Tire
T135/80D17 - Kenda

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a concern getting a spare tire for the Accord Hybrid. As it is, there is a large empty space in the rear of the car which will obviously deform in the event of a rear end crash. If there is a spare tire, would a crash push the tire into the batteries located beneath the rear seat and is this a big deal?

·
2018 Accord Hybrid EX-L
135 Posts
I have a concern getting a spare tire for the Accord Hybrid. As it is, there is a large empty space in the rear of the car which will obviously deform in the event of a rear end crash. If there is a spare tire, would a crash push the tire into the batteries located beneath the rear seat and is this a big deal?
That empty space is where the spare tire goes in the regular Accords. The only reason the spare was removed was for weight savings.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2018 Honda Accord hybrid ex-l. Does anyone know if the t135/d90d16 will work on the ex-l
The specs page lists the 135 / 90 D16 for the EX-L (1.5T) and the 135 / 80 D17 for the EX-L (2.0T). What matters is that the Front brakes on the 2018 are 11.5" for the 1.5T and 12.3" for the 2.0T. Because of that, I would go with 135/80/D17's. As best anyone can tell, that larger front brake size is the reason for the need to go for the larger wheel size (though diameter is virtually the exact same). Here's the page - look it up. https://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan#

Unfortunately, this is the best answer unless someone has really proven the 16 is ok on the front's. One of these day's I'm going to throw my 16" on there and see what's what. Until, I'm going to assume my 16" works on the back only (requiring a National League double switch).:frown

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just ordered the parts list as shown in post 81, by amikek.

(My car is a 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring.)

I ended up ordering everything but one item from an online store (but different from the one amitek used), www.hondapartsnow.com, at essentially the same prices. (Oops, I looked at Honda Parts Now, but ended up buying at www.hondapartscheap.com .....)

The one weird thing I encountered is that when I had every item in the shopping cart, the shipping cost figure came back quite large. I thought at first, oh, it is probably due to the weight of the wheel, tire, etc. But in reality, the high shipping cost was being determined by the foam "tool box". Shipping for everything including the foam tool box (Honda part number 84542-TVA-A10, as long as you are getting the 17" wheel and tire) was well over $100. But if I just left off the foam tool box, the total shipping cost for everything else dropped down to around $18.

I then checked multiple online parts vendors for just the foam tool box, and while the price of the part was low (in the low $20 range), the shipping charge for just the foam tool box part was (depending on vender), anywhere from $35 to $60, or even higher! I don't know why this should be the case, as the weight is very low. It DOES come in a pretty large box, so maybe that is it. Or perhaps the independent parts stores need to have this part shipped from Japan?

In any case, I then called a nearby Honda dealer, and they said that their normal "full price" for the foam tool box was $58 (IIRC), but I got them to go down to $43, plus tax. But zero shipping. (They got it from a warehouse the next day.) This still beat the minimum price I saw from any of the online vendors, once shipping was entered in. (I think the lowest number I saw was around $55 plus tax.)

Bottom line: If you experience a large shipping cost estimate for ordering everything on the list, it is likely due to the foam tool box, and you might be able to do better on this one part by talking to a local dealer's parts dept.

One other variable to be aware of is that the listed price for the wheel (not the tire, but the wheel rim) may or may not include the core charge. Different places may add on different core charges. In our case, we have no old rim to return, so you have to eat the core charge. The lowest core charge I found was $15, but some places had core charges that were non-trivially higher.... Just something to be aware of....

I suppose when everything arrives I SHOULD try it all out on both front and rear wheels, but I might be too lazy and just throw it all in the trunk, and wait until I have an actual flat to try everything out. If there's a problem at that time with the 17" spare wheel and tire combo fitting, I can always jack the car up, leave it jacked up, and then call an Uber to take me and the flat tire/wheel to a nearby tire store..... But, maybe I will feel ambitious when the stuff arrives.... :smile

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered the parts list as shown in post 81, by amikek.

I ended up ordering everything but one item from an online store (but different from the one amitek used), www.hondapartsnow.com, at essentially the same prices.

The one weird thing I encountered is that when I had every item in the shopping cart, the shipping cost figure came back quite large. I thought at first, oh, it is probably due to the weight of the wheel, tire, etc. But in reality, the high shipping cost was being determined by the foam "tool box". Shipping for everything including the foam tool box (Honda part number 84542-TVA-A10, as long as you are getting the 17" wheel and tire) was well over $100. But if I just left off the foam tool box, the total shipping cost for everything else dropped down to around $18.

I then checked multiple online parts vendors for just the foam tool box, and while the price of the part was low (in the low $20 range), the shipping charge for just the foam tool box part was (depending on vender), anywhere from $35 to $60, or even higher! I don't know why this should be the case, as the weight is very low. It DOES come in a pretty large box, so maybe that is it. Or perhaps the independent parts stores need to have this part shipped from Japan?

In any case, I then called a nearby Honda dealer, and they said that their normal "full price" for the foam tool box was $58 (IIRC), but I got them to go down to $43, plus tax. But zero shipping. (They got it from a warehouse the next day.) This still beat the minimum price I saw from any of the online vendors, once shipping was entered in. (I think the lowest number I saw was around $55 plus tax.)

Bottom line: If you experience a large shipping cost estimate for ordering everything on the list, it is likely due to the foam tool box, and you might be able to do better on this one part by talking to a local dealer's parts dept.

One other variable to be aware of is that the listed price for the wheel (not the tire, but the wheel rim) may or may not include the core charge. Different places may add on different core charges. In our case, we have no old rim to return, so you have to eat the core charge. The lowest core charge I found was $15, but some places had core charges that were non-trivially higher.... Just something to be aware of....
InTotalAccord, please report back when you get all the parts in the list in post 81 and verify the rim and tire fit the front and back wheels. Also please verify what year and trim accord hybrid you have. And how do you plan on getting the tire mounted on the rim? Are you just going to bring it to a tire shop?

I have a 2018 hybrid touring, and i'm looking to get this entire kit, but want to verify the tire/rim fit.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
317 Posts
InTotalAccord, please report back when you get all the parts in the list in post 81 and verify the rim and tire fit the front and back wheels. Also please verify what year and trim accord hybrid you have. And how do you plan on getting the tire mounted on the rim? Are you just going to bring it to a tire shop?

I have a 2018 hybrid touring, and i'm looking to get this entire kit, but want to verify the tire/rim fit.

Thanks,
Joe
OK, I had the temp tire (135/80-17) mounted on the rim (17", naturally) at our local America's Tire, who only charged me $8 to do it. They didn't do a balance, and the guy said that they never balance temp spares.... (I have to admit that I have no idea if the temp spares on other vehicles I've owned have had balance weights on them.... It could very well be that these are never balanced...)

The temp went on the front wheel just fine (the one where clearance might have been an issue, due to larger brake calipers). As a side comment, from feeling around the back side of the temp wheel, it seemed like there was very little clearance around the front brake caliper. It also seemed to me that it might not work with the 16" temp spare/wheel version, but of course I didn't try that....

Anyway, the tools fit fine in the tool box foam (as specified in post 81, above) - the foam being the one that is listed for the 2.0T cars, that have the same larger front brakes as all of the Hybrid trims, and the foam that "goes" with the 17" temp spare.

Now, what to do with the tire inflator, which I would never use in "goop mode" for fixing a flat, but which still is a handy thing to have as a plain air inflator. For the time being, I am carrying around the old foam box, just sitting in the trunk on top of the trunk mat, as a place to hold things. But I want to figure out a better way to stow the inflator, as well as a few misc. tools and other things, that are in small canvas bags.

One other thing to mention is that the owner's manual for the non-Hybrid cars tells you to not use the temp spare on the front wheels, even if it does fit. The outside diameter is very slightly different (for either size spare), but probably the mean reason is that it would change the steering feel and handling a lot. Probably OK for just going a couple of miles at slow speed, but in any case the manual says that if the flat is on the front, you should put the temp spare on a rear wheel, then use the freed-up rear wheel to replace the flat on the front.... Oh, you will also get TPMS errors while the spare is mounted. You are just supposed to ignore them, and then do a TPMS re-calibration once you have the regular wheel/tire put back on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, I had the temp tire (135/80-17) mounted on the rim (17", naturally) at our local America's Tire, who only charged me $8 to do it. They didn't do a balance, and the guy said that they never balance temp spares.... (I have to admit that I have no idea if the temp spares on other vehicles I've owned have had balance weights on them.... It could very well be that these are never balanced...)

The temp went on the front wheel just fine (the one where clearance might have been an issue, due to larger brake calipers). As a side comment, from feeling around the back side of the temp wheel, it seemed like there was very little clearance around the front brake caliper. It also seemed to me that it might not work with the 16" temp spare/wheel version, but of course I didn't try that....

Anyway, the tools fit fine in the tool box foam (as specified in post 81, above) - the foam being the one that is listed for the 2.0T cars, that have the same larger front brakes as all of the Hybrid trims, and the foam that "goes" with the 17" temp spare.

Now, what to do with the tire inflator, which I would never use in "goop mode" for fixing a flat, but which still is a handy thing to have as a plain air inflator. For the time being, I am carrying around the old foam box, just sitting in the trunk on top of the trunk mat, as a place to hold things. But I want to figure out a better way to stow the inflator, as well as a few misc. tools and other things, that are in small canvas bags.

One other thing to mention is that the owner's manual for the non-Hybrid cars tells you to not use the temp spare on the front wheels, even if it does fit. The outside diameter is very slightly different (for either size spare), but probably the mean reason is that it would change the steering feel and handling a lot. Probably OK for just going a couple of miles at slow speed, but in any case the manual says that if the flat is on the front, you should put the temp spare on a rear wheel, then use the freed-up rear wheel to replace the flat on the front.... Oh, you will also get TPMS errors while the spare is mounted. You are just supposed to ignore them, and then do a TPMS re-calibration once you have the regular wheel/tire put back on.
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. That's a great idea about putting the spare on the rear and the rear tire on the front flat one lol, would have never thought of that...but duh. I ordered all these parts today, from my local honda place, and they will be here tomorrow. Have to get the tire from somewhere though.

Joe

·
Registered
317 Posts
Wait, did you get the 135/70D17 or the 135/80D17? Post 81 lists 135/80D17 as the tire?
Oh, sorry, that was a typo, in my post-purchase follow-up post. I'd correct it in the post, but it seems like after some period of time has elapsed, you can no longer edit your own posts.... (Or at least that's what it seems like.)

Yes, I meant to say 135/80-17. Sorry about the confusion.

FWIW, I got my tire from www.hondapartscheap.com. Their price for the Kenda version of this tire was very good. The Honda part number for this tire is 42751-KEN-008, with the middle letters standing for Kenda. (The last three digits can also vary, for other makers of the same size tire, as well as other sizes.)

As I mentioned somewhere earlier, tires in this size have widely varying prices. IIRC I paid a bit over $70 for the Kenda tire, but the Goodyear version is closer to $200! And other brands are in between (such as Continental). I checked the Tire Rack, as well as America's Tire, but neither listed the Kenda version on their web site, and their offerings were at least somewhat higher priced. (One of them had a Kumho version for a nearly-as-good price.)

Note that if you buy a tire from the Tire Rack, they will ship it to your nearest Costco store, for mounting. If you have an America's Tire near you (or their sister company Discount Tire), it is my experience that they can get tires from brands that they don't advertise online, so it might be worth a call to them.

I was interested to see that the tire was shipped unboxed. They just wrapped the tire in clear wrap, stuck a label on it, and off it went! Maybe that's how everyone ships tires....

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, great, thanks for the info. Yeah, i was looking at picking up the Kumho one at americas tire tomorrow, and have them mount it on the rim for me.

Joe

I got my parts today. Happy to report all the parts on post 81 fit in the storage area as they should, and the rim fits the rear wheels. My car is a 2018 Accord Hybrid Touring. I've attached some pictures as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the tire i got for the rim:

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/kumho-131-spare/p/14145

Winds up being roughly the same price as the Kenda if you buy it online and add in the shipping, and installation somewhere. It fit fine.

Also, there is negligible mileage difference with the spare tire in there. It's a crock of crap the dealers feed you when they say that's the reason they didn't put a tire in there. I weigh more than the whole lot of parts i threw in there for this lol. I got 45.3 mpg in sport mode on the way back from the tire place, about 15 miles of 50/50 freeway/street driving.

Joe

·
2018 Hybrid Touring Accor
58 Posts
OK I just got all of the Honda parts listed here except the wheel and tire, I found a brand new wheel and Goodyear tire shipped to me from Ebay seller rv0761 for $129.00. All of the parts work great and now I hope that I never have to use these, but if I do I have them. Thank you to all who have posted on this thread!!

And what I did with the factory air compressor was it is now placed under the drivers seat, fits perfect there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
As I reported on a different thread about my 4,500-mile road trip in my Hybrid Touring, the first thought I had when I got a tire-pressures-low warning (false, as it turns out--the pressures were fine) on a shoulder-less two-lane back road in rural Ohio was, "Man, I'm glad I put a real spare tire in this thing."

It only takes one time being stuck out in the middle of nowhere to really appreciate a spare tire instead of an inflation kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
16" confirmed?

I'm lost with all the back and forth...has it been confirmed that 16" wheels will fit both the front and back?

I have an extra set of 16" alloy wheels that I used for my winter set on my previously owned 2009 accord ex-l v6 coupe. I'm hoping that I can get new winter tires and use these same 16" wheels on my new 2018 accord hybrid touring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm lost with all the back and forth...has it been confirmed that 16" wheels will fit both the front and back?

I have an extra set of 16" alloy wheels that I used for my winter set on my previously owned 2009 accord ex-l v6 coupe. I'm hoping that I can get new winter tires and use these same 16" wheels on my new 2018 accord hybrid touring.
I answered my own question this past weekend...most, if not all, 16" wheels will not fit the touring hybrid and models with similarly sized brake calipers.

At first, the technician thought my existing 16" set would fit, but upon trying, confirmed it wouldn't due to the brake calipers. He thought the wheel offset was the problem, so suggested another set of 16" wheels, but then found those also didn't fit. In the end, I had to get new 17" wheels for my winter tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 2017 Accord Hybrid had a warning on p178 of the Owner's Manual: "Carrying a spare tire in the trunk can result in damage to the High Voltage battery and leakage of flammable electrolyte if your vehicle were to get severely impacted from the rear. Do not carry a spare tire in the trunk." This model had the battery in the trunk.

The 2018 Accord Hybrid moved the battery to under the rear seat, and the 2018 Accord Hybrid Owner's Manual no longer carries that warning. Since the spare tire warning was removed from the 2018 model, I would assume that Honda determined that a rear-end crash with a spare tire in the trunk is not a concern with 2018 and later models.

·
Registered
91 Posts
81 - 100 of 145 Posts