Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
225/50 r17 are what comes on my 2019 HAH Touring.

I want a spare that I can put on the front, if needed and clear the larger brake caliper

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6
All 10th gen Honda Accords come with a donut. I have a hubrid that came with no spare.

Since I wanted a spare, I checked in a brand new 2020 Honda Accord LX which has a spare from factory. The spare is 135/80D 17.

Well logically, that means that spare should fit every single wheel on that car.

That is why I searched for and found a tire on ebay and I bought it as my spare. But the size I bought is slightly wider. But should work perfectly. I have no doubts. It is 145/80D17.

Take a look at my thread again and see. I tried having a full size spare, but it will not fit flush in the wheelwell or I would have preferred to have a full spare. So, if you want a spare that comes on the nonhybrid Accords, it has to be 135/80D17. It works on all 4 wheels.

Someone has provided the exact part numbers of what you need. I think buying all those parts sum up to over $300.

Up to you what you decide works best for you. You can see my thread with pictures of what I bought. And you can see in this thread what some people bought. You can use that info to make your own informed decision of what to buy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
All 10th gen Honda Accords come with a donut. I have a hubrid that came with no spare.

Since I wanted a spare, I checked in a brand new 2020 Honda Accord LX which has a spare from factory. The spare is 135/80D 17.

Well logically, that means that spare should fit every single wheel on that car.

That is why I searched for and found a tire on ebay and I bought it as my spare. But the size I bought is slightly wider. But should work perfectly. I have no doubts. It is 145/80D17.

Take a look at my thread again and see. I tried having a full size spare, but it will not fit flush in the wheelwell or I would have preferred to have a full spare. So, if you want a spare that comes on the nonhybrid Accords, it has to be 135/80D17. It works on all 4 wheels.

Someone has provided the exact part numbers of what you need. I think buying all those parts sum up to over $300.

Up to you what you decide works best for you. You can see my thread with pictures of what I bought. And you can see in this thread what some people bought. You can use that info to make your own informed decision of what to buy.
Well, here is my experience.
Yesterday my wife had a blowout. Damaged rim and all.

This is when I discovered there is no spare. Luckily she was in town, so I called my salesman and he said come by I'll have a donut for you.
I go to the dealership, pick up the donut and have them order me a new matching Honda rim and tire to pick up the next day.
I go back to my car and the donut doesn't fit. Sightly too big for the studs.

I call my dealership and speak to the guys in service/parts that I just ordered my rim and tire and explained. Asked them to bring me something so I could get my car to a safe location.

My salesman shows up on site with a new donut. Told me it came out of a 2020 Accord. This time it will go on the studs, but the larger caliper keeps the spare from mounting flush on the caliper side of the rim. Studs are about half as long and no way you could drive like that.

So I'll reiterate, have you ACTUALLY put the spare on the front to see if it fits properly?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, here is my experience.
Yesterday my wife had a blowout. Damaged rim and all.

This is when I discovered there is no spare. Luckily she was in town, so I called my salesman and he said come by I'll have a donut for you.
I go to the dealership, pick up the donut and have them order me a new matching Honda rim and tire to pick up the next day.

I call my dealership and speak to the guys in service/parts that I just ordered my rim and tire and explained. Asked them to bring me something so I could get my car to a safe location.

My salesman shows up on site with a new donut. Told me it came out of a 2020 Accord. This time it will go on the studs, but the larger caliper keeps the spare from mounting flush on the caliper side of the rim. Studs are about half as long and no way you could drive like that.

So I'll reiterate, have you ACTUALLY put the spare on the front to see if it fits properly?

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6
What was the size donut he brought you?

·
Registered
136 Posts

FYI, 145/80 is not only wider, but also a slightly larger diameter than 135/80. It’s only like 2.4% larger, but that may be enough to cause problems fitting in the spare location with the replacement foam insert. you’ll need to confirm that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I go to the dealership, pick up the donut

My salesman shows up on site with a new donut. Told me it came out of a 2020 Accord. This time it will go on the studs, but the larger caliper keeps the spare from mounting flush on the caliper side of the rim.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6
No.

Since you tried 2 donuts, why don't you share with us exactly the specs of the tires. You know when you give such information, it is a lot more helpful when you are very specific so people know exactly what size does not work as in your case.

But like someone said in this thread, if all you have is the donut that does not fit the front, I hope it fits the rear, then get a tire from the rear and put it in the front and then put the donut in the rear.

Someone said it is better to have 2 full tires in the front than have a full tire with a donut on the front and then you get back on the road and start driving, especially if you have to get on the freeway with speeds above 60mph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No.

Since you tried 2 donuts, why don't you share with us exactly the specs of the tires. You know when you give such information, it is a lot more helpful when you are very specific so people know exactly what size does not work as in your case.

But like someone said in this thread, if all you have is the donut that does not fit the front, I hope it fits the rear, then get a tire from the rear and put it in the front and then put the donut in the rear.

Someone said it is better to have 2 full tires in the front than have a full tire with a donut on the front and then you get back on the road and start driving, especially if you have to get on the freeway with speeds above 60mph.
I didn't look at the specs lol.

We were broke down on the side of the road. I tried two donuts my Honda dealership gave to me.

Anyways. Good luck all. I'll figure one that will fit.
Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6

·
Registered
127 Posts
I didn't look at the specs lol.

We were broke down on the side of the road. I tried two donuts my Honda dealership gave to me.

Anyways. Good luck all. I'll figure one that will fit.
Thanks

Sent from my ONEPLUS 6
The good thing about the forum is that people come and share useful information, even when not asked for it.

So, if you find that solution, be kind to come back and share. Just like the forum has probably helped you with some good info.

Help keep the forum full of useful information.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good luck with your insurance claim if you get rear ended and the spare tire is driven into your battery pack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good luck with your insurance claim if you get rear ended and the spare tire is driven into your battery pack.
1) I doubt any reputable insurance company would make that claim. They'd really have to be petty and bend over backwards to go that route.

2) If the insurance does try to pull that, I doubt that any judge litigating the case would find you responsible for the damaged battery because you put a spare tire in the place clearly designed for a tire, over the person that rear ended you (assuming you aren't at fault).

3) If your spare wheel ends up under the rear passanger seat, you're probably looking at a serious accident with possible injuries and total loss damage, so a damaged battery will be insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Late to this thread. I'm wondering if the reason for no spare at all is for something other than weight saving? That battery is under the rear seat and Im wondering if they omitted the battery in case of an accident as in spare wheel being pushed forward and destroying a really expensive battery or pushing it into pax compartment, just a thought

·
Registered
372 Posts
Part of the confusion on the temp spare tire/wheel size is due to the fact that two different sizes were originally used by Honda, for different non-hybrid models, based on front brake rotor size. At least this was the case when the 10th Gen cars were introduced in 2018.

Back then, lower-trim 1.5T cars (with 11.5" front rotors) came with a T135/90-16 spare. But all 2.0T cars and some higher-trim 1.5T cars (with 12.3" front rotors) came with a T135/80-17 spare. Note that ALL hybrid trims (at least in 2018) came with the larger front brake rotors (12.3").

For that reason, I think that the best tire/wheel to get for a hybrid is the T135/80-17, which can be mounted on either a front wheel, or a back wheel. That said, the T135/90-16 spare will mount fine on the back.

For safe handling purposes, it is usually better to avoid putting the temp spare on a front wheel, anyway. (If the flat is on the front, first put the temp spare on a back wheel, and use the freed-up regular wheel and tire from the back, to replace the flat on the front.) That said, if you are just going to slowly drive a short distance, having the ability to mount your temp spare on a front wheel avoids this need for doing a "double tire move", if you get a flat on a front wheel.....

Note that back in the early pages of this thread, some posters said that the 16" temp wheel and tire DID fit on the front wheels of their hybrids, but that might be a "just barely" situation?

Why didn't Honda simply spec the same 135/80-17 temp spare for ALL non-hybrids, including the ones with the smaller 11.5" rotors? Who knows....

One other comment: Back in 2018, anyway, the foam insert that fits inside of the temp spare (to hold tools) was a different part, depending on whether the provided temp spare was the 16" one, or the 17" one.

Bottom line - if you want to order the right parts, "pretend" you are ordering replacement parts for a 2.0T car, rather than a 1.5T, and you will be safe.

In this long-running thread, it took until the 4th page or so, before the info started being pretty well sorted out..... I don't think things have changed since then, unless (perhaps) all non-hybrid cars now get the same set-up (I don't know about this, one way or the other....)

Three "tips", based on my ordering experience from 2018:

1. The prices of the temp spare tire itself, vary tremendously, depending on tire brand, so shop around. Kenda seems to be pretty low-priced, but some other brands (Goodyear in particular) are quite a bit higher.

2. I found that shipping costs were quite high for the foam insert, of all things (I guess based on size, not weight). So in the case of that part, I found that it was actually cheaper to buy it at a dealer, rather than from an online seller. But the online discount sellers were cheapest for all of the tools, the rim/wheel, and for the tire itself. (I then paid $8 to have a nearby America's tire mount the tire on the rim.)

3. Buying a spare and wheel used, off of another model (different than a 10th gen Accord) can be an inexpensive way to go, but you need to be more careful about sizes, etc.

I also don't have an opinion as to why Honda omitted a temp spare for the hybrid cars, in the first place. I tend to think it was a weight consideration, rather than concern about the spare being pushed forward into the under-rear-seat hybrid battery pack (in case of a rear-end collision). That's because I have never seen any sort of official "do not do this!" warning from Honda about putting a temp spare into a hybrid. And some Honda dealers seem very willing to help customers who want to do it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I'm sure it was just a weight saving or cost reducing decision. If there were really a safety issue, I think Honda would have at least issued a "Warning" in the Owner's manual, or, to be really safe, they would have modified the spare tire recess so that it could not accept a spare. (This would have simply required an added metal part welded into the recess so that a spare tire would not fit.)

- Jack

161 - 172 of 172 Posts