Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, did a search, but couldn't find anything on this subject on the 8th gen; or maybe it's just that I don't know how to search, being a noob to online forums.

Anyone change their spark plugs yet? To platinum tipped (Splitfires, Zex, or other)

Do you think it'll yield gains?

Thanks in advance, to all who can give some constructive input on this.

·
I snapped my G string....
2,416 Posts
Why are u changing them now? But if you are just use NGK or Denso. Honda engines run better on these plugs. I had Split fires on my Integra and it ran awful.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. I'm just asking if they'll do what they are supposed to do:

- better throttle response
- cooler running engine
- better spark flow, leading to better ignition,
- better fuel consumption
- less frequent plug changes (advertised on most prodcuts minimum 50,000 miles)

I've used Bosch four tipped ones, and Splitfires in different Hondas, and they do make a difference. Haven't seen anyone change them on this 8th gen yet, so was wondering?!

:)

·
I snapped my G string....
2,416 Posts
No problem. I just stick to the OEM, especialy on a newer car with warranty. If something was to go wrong while you had a different brand of spkark plug, Honda can blame it on that and not warranty the repair. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,419 Posts
The car comes with iridium plugs which are better than platinums. stick with the originals. they will last you 105k miles.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem. I just stick to the OEM, especialy on a newer car with warranty. If something was to go wrong while you had a different brand of spkark plug, Honda can blame it on that and not warranty the repair. :)
You're right about that one!! Honda, or any other car company for that matter, are notorious about changing any parts, and are quick to blame any problems on the car to these changes!! Thanks for your input though!

The car comes with iridium plugs which are better than platinums. stick with the originals. they will last you 105k miles.
Oh ok, I didn't know that! Sticking with the Iridiums then! :thmsup:

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I'm just asking if they'll do what they are supposed to do:

- better throttle response
- cooler running engine
- better spark flow, leading to better ignition,
- better fuel consumption
- less frequent plug changes (advertised on most prodcuts minimum 50,000 miles)

I've used Bosch four tipped ones, and Splitfires in different Hondas, and they do make a difference. Haven't seen anyone change them on this 8th gen yet, so was wondering?!

:)
Rehtorical question, IF another brand of plugs would make such an improvement as you suggested they might, wouldn't you think Honda would have made an engineering decision to use that other brand of plugs?

Honda may not be perfect, but they are top notch in their engineering department, you bought a Honda vehicle based on your trust that it is a good product, leave it be.

As for other plugs you've tried that "made a difference", it's likely either the plugs in your car were worn or dirty/fouled, or it's just the placebo effect, again Honda makes F1 engines that win races, what makes the rest of us think we know more/better than them? :dunno:

·
O do u know the buffinman
3,441 Posts
I would never ever recommend any plug other than a NGK or Denso in a Honda! I just put a set of NGK Iridium's in my 02. The NGK platinum's made it 187K!! Had no running or starting problems before or after plug change. The Plats still looked good(I was mainly concerned with the plugs coming out more than anything). I guess after being in the business for over 20 years I have the mentality of "If it's not broke don't mess with it". I had over 100K on my 5th Gen 4cyl when I replaced the first set of plugs.

I1:wave:

·
Registered
449 Posts
do you actually see any difference in the type of spark plugs you use? My personal opinion was that as long as your previous spark plugs work properly you would not see any difference in the car's response behind the wheel if you "upgrade" them to something "better". I am talking for relatively new cars/engines below 100k miles. Looking for your opinion.

·
Keepin this one stock...
289 Posts
Rehtorical question, IF another brand of plugs would make such an improvement as you suggested they might, wouldn't you think Honda would have made an engineering decision to use that other brand of plugs?

Honda may not be perfect, but they are top notch in their engineering department, you bought a Honda vehicle based on your trust that it is a good product, leave it be.
Absolutely not, the price is the final determining factor once you've reached a minimum requirement.

·
Super Moderator
7,848 Posts
Absolutely not, the price is the final determining factor once you've reached a minimum requirement.
Price is certainly part of the equation, however, have you checked what a Honda recommended spark cost these days? It's certainly far from cheap!

·
O do u know the buffinman
3,441 Posts
Price is certainly part of the equation, however, have you checked what a Honda recommended spark cost these days? It's certainly far from cheap!
Very true!! That is why I went with the Iridiums and saved 6 bucks a plug over the Platinums.

I1:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts