Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do these look? Tell me, Obi Spark Plug Kenobi, what say these plugs?

They are OEM spark plugs NGK Laser Iridium IZFR6K13 for a 2005 Accord 4 cylinder....99,000 miles.

No issues or codes before, but WOW, purrs like a kitten with the new NGKs (same model number). Just thought I'd do them early as I will be VERY busy next year. They are the "13" series as my car is a Partial to Zero Emission Vehicle (PZEV). Do they look normal?

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Redder: Thank you for the chart. I am a little concerned as the spark plug on the far right has a "base" (?) that is slanted downward. In other words- looking at that fourth spark plug's base, there is more material on the "left" side than on the "right" side.

·
07 Sdn
384 Posts
Might be a manufacturing defect.
You can change that one if you are concerned, but those plugs look in excellent condition.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Rick, I personally think you're fine. They look great to me and honestly there's no way to know why that far right plug looks that way. Could have been slightly different at first assembly, small irregularity in manufacturing, etc. Keep driving her, you're good.

·
6 Speed
37 Posts
x2 on what mike said. They look to be burning clean. I think your good to go rick! :thmsup:

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Gents...In honor of the triumphant return of Mike W I did some maintenance today- 30 minutes start to finish, got the plugs at Advance Auto and with a coupon it worked out to $7 each.

Most of my spark plug "reading" skill here is for lawnmowers and snow throwers....usually, they last a few years max. They are either flooded, or they are not. That "slant" kinda threw me.

With the new plugs, should be good for another 100,000. By the way, I thought about just putting them back in if they were fine, but a new spark plug "crush washer" was $1.50 each! So what the heck....just put in new plugs that come with a new washer.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I just replaced the plugs in our Pilot over the weekend... and the old ones looked almost identical to yours (in terms of color). None of mine were like the one on the far right. I think they're fine.

I think Honda recommends spark plug changes every 105K miles on all pre-Maintenance Minder vehicles with laser iridium plugs, so you were close enough to needing to change them anyway.

·
Banned
546 Posts
Haha, we shall see just how triumphant it turns out being! Thanks for the kind words

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Redder: Thank you for the chart. I am a little concerned as the spark plug on the far right has a "base" (?) that is slanted downward. In other words- looking at that fourth spark plug's base, there is more material on the "left" side than on the "right" side.

It didn't start out that way. The arc seems to have favored one side more than the other and it wore down that way.

·
Banned
13,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It didn't start out that way. The arc seems to have favored one side more than the other and it wore down that way.
So when people ask me how it's hanging, I can say a little to the right, lol...:lmao:

Reactions: qman

·
Registered
513 Posts
The plugs show classic excellent control of mixture, low oil consumption, and temperature control.

Lots of use as indicated by the porcelain corona band.

I would have cleaned them up a bit, doped the threads with copper based anti-seize, and reinstalled then for another 100 k.

·
Banned
395 Posts
@ 140k on original spark plugs and TB

yes I have a 2006 V6 AT and am on original SPs and TB but not accessory due to the TSB that was issued(whcih I still haven not completeld the paper work on to get reimbused close to 1k on!)...the J30A5 kitty wakes up and just keeps purring...I think these Spark Plugs are indestructable even at 140k of hard driving and extremely light modding, not even replacing the engine air filter for a ram air for ex. :thmsup: is it me or does this beast just need a good SEMI-SYNTHETIC oil and at 5w-20 just like the oil cap states!

As far as the spark plugs, I am no obe won kenobe jedi but as apadawan, I "Bookmark this post"

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
140,000 on factory original Iridiums..............

yes I have a 2006 V6 AT and am on original SPs ..I think these Spark Plugs are indestructable even at 140k of hard driving
I'm at 136,000 on the factory orig Iridiums. "Indestructable" would seem to fit here!

all the best, ez

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts

Yes, this does look odd. I am very sure that it is straight when it was new. I'd say this one may be running a bit too hot and burn the ground electrode. I am surprised you did not get any misfire on that cylinder as the gap is much larger than spec. The rest of them looks normal with the pinkish color and no deposit. At 100K, changing them makes sense. In the old days, I used to take out the platinum spark plugs on my Maxima and inspected them every 15K and put them back in. I never changed the crush washers and never had any issue with spark plugs leak. The washer actually recoils after you remove the plug and seals tight when you torque the plug back in. I'd think that most engines with compression ratio of 10:1 or less, there is not an issue to reinstall the same plugs.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They look really good to me.As for the plug in question as long the porcelain above the electrode isn't brighter/cleaner than the rest I agree with Drew03Accord.I have seen this before where there was suspect contamination (antisize and it's easy to fat finger it on there by mistake).
Im sure you know spark gap spreads out with wear and firing to one side doesn't help.I always number the plugs when I take them out so I know what cylinder they are from for when i really inspect them after im done.I also measure the gap regardless of whether they are pre gapped and have found them out of spec. At the most id just mark the cylinder it came from so I can compare the new plug the next time i replace it and not worry.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts