Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a simple plug job, rubber grommet inside the spark plug socket decided to stay with the plug in the tube. It just so happens to be cylinder 1 so space to work is limited. Does any one have any suggestions on how to get that guy off?
coil pack won’t go on with it stuck in there. Feelin kinda dead in the water, been at it for literally hours

06 V6 I should add for some clarity

·
Registered
475 Posts
You trying to get the rubber piece out from the plug tubes? Have you tried wired hanger or something of that nature to just grab it out? Maybe long forceps.

If the rubber still in tact, maybe add some glue or putty inside the plug socket and see if it'll reattach itself for extraction. My guess is that it's on somewhat tight as the rubber conforms, so you're gonna have to use some kind of force to pull it out. Make sure you pull it out clean.

Reactions: Riwaldz

·
Registered
2012 Honda Accord (EX-L V6)
1,236 Posts
Did the grommet break off or just slip out? I had an issue with my old spark plug socket where it broke so it wouldn't stay in anymore. I decided to just get a magnet type spark plug socket to avoid this issue in the future.

Reactions: frogvtec

·
07V6 EX-L Chicago
1,656 Posts
I was doing a simple plug job, rubber grommet inside the spark plug socket decided to stay with the plug in the tube. It just so happens to be cylinder 1 so space to work is limited. Does any one have any suggestions on how to get that guy off?
coil pack won’t go on with it stuck in there. Feelin kinda dead in the water, been at it for literally hours
No biggy, a pick would pull it out in seconds

If you don't have picks, then use the socket to loose the spark plug again, then use a magnetic pickup tool (easily found in auto stores or home depot/menards etc) or even a long tweezer to take it out. Threw the rubber away. Use a magnetic spark plug socket or simply use a piece of plastic tubing when installing/taking out the spark plugs.

·
Registered
2005 Accord EX
122 Posts
I would recommend rocking (not too roughly, obviously) the spark plug socket on the spark plug. There's a change the rubber might adhere back to the socket and be able to extract it. If not, I agree with pulling the plug. Instead of greasing the plug, I recommend gluing the rubber grommet to the spark plug socket or perhaps get another one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the tips.
the grommet is down far enough to keep me from just pulling the plug,I haven’t even gotten to it today yet.
but I’ll be attempting with some long pliers
The socket just spins down there. I can’t get it to grab. I was hoping the picks would do the trick but no dice.
hopefully I’ll get it resolved today

·
Elvira
3,916 Posts
shop vac, seriously.

Worked for me to get an errant screw that fell in the plug tube from elsewhere.

Dribble some oil down the ceramic portion to allow the grommet to slip slide up.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts