Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm debating which set of spark plugs to get.
NGK 6994 or Bosch 9614 - Both are iridium tipped, yet there's a $4-5 Canadian savings per plug for the Bosch.

Recommendation?

·
Bob's your UNCLE ...
2,285 Posts
I ponied up for the OEM NGK's ... if saving $20 (that's a whopping $0.20 US for our non-metric cousins on the wrong side of our border) is that big of a deal, bet the Bosch units.

* a lighter touch on the gas pedal over two tanks will probably save you close to that $20, just saying.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,167 Posts
Over the years I have never heard someone have problems with NGK's where I have heard on the Benz and Tacoma forums of people hating the Bosch plugs...

Like Uncle Bob, I got the NGK's and have had no problems at all with them.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I went with the NGK's 15k miles ago, and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NGK's it is then.
Order received from Amazon - having them put in today.

I was charged 0.8 hours for the spark plug install on my 2007 Accord 4 cylinder.

Does that seem fair to you guys?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was charged 0.8 hours for the spark plug install on my 2007 Accord 4 cylinder.

Does that seem fair to you guys?
It's fair in the sense that you could go to any Honda dealership and they would charge you the same 0.8 hours for labor.

It's not fair in the sense that it takes about 10-15 minutes to change the spark plugs on a 4-cylinder Accord, even for a home mechanic.

But hey, at least your mechanic/shop let you buy your own parts from Amazon, so you didn't get ripped off twice (once on labor and once on parts).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh heck - well, this was an independent mechanic. I was hoping they'd charge less for labor than a dealership, but apparently not.
That's disconcerting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Oh heck - well, this was an independent mechanic. I was hoping they'd charge less for labor than a dealership, but apparently not.
That's disconcerting.
Learn to do your own maintenance and save a lot of money. I just got an Accord with 80k, bought the NGKs and a $40 torque wrench so that I could torque them correctly, and I still paid less than if I had someone else do them, and now I have a torque wrench for the future.

I'll be changing all of the fluids over the next week or two as well, with help from this thread:
http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/1...so-you-just-bought-7th-generation-accord.html

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
That's disconcerting.
I'd suggest doing them yourself. I am not a mechanic by any means, and I did mine in 45min with the help of a friend.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd suggest doing them yourself. I am not a mechanic by any means, and I did mine in 45min with the help of a friend.
You're right, I should learn to do it myself. Be a good learning experience.
Maybe it's the torque wrench - thought of over/under tightening that scares me away from it. I'm by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic. Like the fella above you mentioned - youtube video will come in handy.

At least I don't have to worry about it for another 100k miles.

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Maybe it's the torque wrench - thought of over/under tightening that scares me away from it.
I've never used a torque wrench for plugs. Probably never will. The antiseize that I add to the thread would throw off the torque anyway. Just past snug is all you need. You have an i4, the plug won't back itself out like the V6 #5 plugs do.

·
I <3 My Honda
3,916 Posts
I always stuck with the OEM NGK's on my cars which have never failed me - I know people who had too many issues with Bosch so tbh I never gave them an honest chance :-/ So my opinion is a little biased.

greyhonda said:
Which is 0.75 of an hour.
This made me laugh :)
At least with you DIY OP, you're not paying anyone for it :thmsup:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Maybe it's the torque wrench - thought of over/under tightening that scares me away from it. I'm by no stretch of the imagination a mechanic. Like the fella above you mentioned - youtube video will come in handy.

At least I don't have to worry about it for another 100k miles.
It's good that you got them replaced either way. I'm not good at doing my own maintenance as well :D. For most things I go to a local mechanic that I know I can trust due to my friends going to him for years.....his prices aren't the cheapest, but cheaper than a dealership and I know he won't mess it up lol.

I do small things by myself, like changing the air filters, and spark plugs. I know some will not understand this here, but I don't do oil changes myself, I find I don't save that much money and time compared to just taking it to the mechanic, but that's just my opinion.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,187 Posts
I do small things by myself, like changing the air filters, and spark plugs. I know some will not understand this here, but I don't do oil changes myself, I find I don't save that much money and time compared to just taking it to the mechanic, but that's just my opinion.
How much do you pay for an oil change?

I don't spend more than $30 on an oil change. I do it because it gives me pleasure working on the car. You should try getting dirty and oily too :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts