Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda is trying to sell me Spark Plugs for $25 each. I heard NGK makes the plugs for them. I found 2 different types of NGK plugs (at Advaned Auto Parts), only difference is gap. I'm not sure which one to get. I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX, automatic, 4 cylinder. Thanks!

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
I just did my plugs and used AutoLite Iridiums (OE replacement) they were 6.99 a piece. The NGK versions are 10$ a piece.

From the looks of it, the stock gap should be 0.044.

The autolites seem to run great for me. No complaints.

·
Stayin Classy...
516 Posts
The plugs that came out of the car were Denzo Iridiums, if that matters to you.

·
Wave Interference
189 Posts
Yes, NGK is the OEM supplier. I would suggest getting the OEM recommended ones.

Having said that, I wouldn't be inclined to pay 25 dollars each for them. Check online (perhaps eBay) for part number IZFR6K-11 (NGK) and go from there.

·
2006 Accord EX-L i4 4D
229 Posts
The different gaps are for SULEV vs regular engines. My mom's 05 is a SULEV. I put Autolite Iridium in her car because that's all Autozone had. The store was able to tell me which gap was appropriate for her engine, and I don't recall the numbers specifically . . . I put the NGK iridiums in my car (not a SULEV).

It's important to continue to use iridium if you want another 110k out of the new set. It's not important that you buy them from Honda. I love Amazon if you have the couple days to wait, or if you need them sooner, iridium plugs from your friendly local auto parts store should do the trick.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Run away from that "stealership" as fast as you can. As others have said, NGK Iridium is the way to go and for $9.99 at Advance Auto, that price can't be beat. If the OEM NGKs can last me 150k miles, I'm sticking with NGK.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
NGK and Denso are the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for Honda. The following info pertains to the NGK brand of spark plugs:

SULEV and PZEV use NGK part number IZFR6K13 (California, New York, + 5 more states that go with tougher emissions standards) The actual Honda dealer part number is 12290RB1003 and can be bought for $16.04 with free shipping from CurryAcura in Scarsdale, NY. Or you can get them from Advance Auto for $12.99 with free shipping to the store. Enter promo code SPT3 for an additional 15% off AND a free $25 certificate good for future purchases.

"Regular" Accords use NGK part number IZFR6K11 (The "other 49" states) $9.99 at Advance Auto.

Yes, the difference is the gap, as SteelyJoe mentioned.

For future reference, please post a little more info about your car and where you live:)

·
1st Time Honda Owner
71 Posts
I purchased the NGK Iridium IZFR6K11 .044 Gap from Autozone for about $9.99 each for my 2003 Accord EX Coupe yesterday. If you can afford them you can't go wrong with them.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
The OP is simply asking which of the two spark plug numbers offered to him is the correct one.

Again, there are two different part numbers because Honda put out two different "types" of engine emissions. Determine which yours is. That is the answer.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Banned
13,097 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
But if you ARE California emissions...
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...(izfr6k13)-ngk_20651133-p?searchTerm=izfr6k13

A game of OneUpManship, huh Drew? Well two can play at THAT game...:)

Rick I didn't know there were two types of NGK plugs I replaced mine a year ago. I live in Cali, but I didn't notice any difference I got the 9.99 ones should I replaced them with the other ones? or it should'nt be any problems in the long run?

Also what is the difference is it only the gap? or there is more than that. this is interesting I'm learning something new today :thmsup:

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,724 Posts
If you do try to re-gap the iridium plugs, be extra careful because you can easily break the electrodes.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Juan- there are a huge number of posts about this. I have a PZEV vehicle originally from New York City (New York City!) and yet my owner's manual tells me to use part number IZFR6K11....

However, it seems the owner's manuals were printed in bulk and since the PZEV and SULEV share was smaller, perhaps Honda figured that we would sort it out.

As I understand it, the larger gap simply helps with emissions. It does not increase or decrease power, nor does it hurt/help fuel economy.

If you put the regular plugs in, I'm certain they will work fine for 100,000 miles. If you recently went for emissions testing in CA and they "read" your emissions, I am sure you still passed as our cars are pretty clean to begin with.

I ordered the IZFR6K13 ones from Advance Auto this morning as even though I live in Illinois now, I want to keep my car "original" in case I ever move to a California Emissions state (really, there are 7 states that use CA emissions so sooner or later they have to call it something other than "CA Emissions").

Remember, PZEV vehicles have their intake, exhaust, and emissions warrantied for 15 years and 150,000 miles....I did not want to take a chance on being denied a free repair if I moved back to NY or CA because some smart tech pulls out the "regular" spark plug as I assume the FACE OF GREAT SHAME.:)

Sorry for the long post, Juan...Your plugs are fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Juan- there are a huge number of posts about this. I have a PZEV vehicle originally from New York City (New York City!) and yet my owner's manual tells me to use part number IZFR6K11....

However, it seems the owner's manuals were printed in bulk and since the PZEV and SULEV share was smaller, perhaps Honda figured that we would sort it out.

As I understand it, the larger gap simply helps with emissions. It does not increase or decrease power, nor does it hurt/help fuel economy.

If you put the regular plugs in, I'm certain they will work fine for 100,000 miles. If you recently went for emissions testing in CA and they "read" your emissions, I am sure you still passed as our cars are pretty clean to begin with.

I ordered the IZFR6K13 ones from Advance Auto this morning as even though I live in Illinois now, I want to keep my car "original" in case I ever move to a California Emissions state (really, there are 7 states that use CA emissions so sooner or later they have to call it something other than "CA Emissions").

Remember, PZEV vehicles have their intake, exhaust, and emissions warrantied for 15 years and 150,000 miles....I did not want to take a chance on being denied a free repair if I moved back to NY or CA because some smart tech pulls out the "regular" spark plug as I assume the FACE OF GREAT SHAME.:)

Sorry for the long post, Juan...Your plugs are fine.
Thanks for all the info Rick that was very helpful. Your right on the emissions I didn't had any problems 3 months and never notice any performance decrease everything is normal. I'll just keep running those plugs maybe 30k miles and then switch to the IZFR6K13 or the Denso plugs.
Thanks again for all the info I appreciate it.

·
Banned
13,097 Posts
Juan: You are welcome but please don't throw money away- the plugs you have are good for 100,000 miles....

I used to have a Stealth Twin Turbo, and access to a dyno machine. I remember doing research for hours on the type of spark plug I was gonna put in. Huge and epic debates raged on on the 3si.org forums (3000GT/Stealth) about which was the better plug.

We dyno-ed the car with each brand of spark plug....not one bit of difference.

Years from now, on my death bed, I will want those five hours back that I wasted on Stealth spark plugs....

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Run away from that "stealership" as fast as you can. As others have said, NGK Iridium is the way to go and for $9.99 at Advance Auto, that price can't be beat. If the OEM NGKs can last me 150k miles, I'm sticking with NGK.
...factory original plugs at 135,000 miles: no loss in MPG, starts easy, idles fine and no missing, hesitation during acceleration (unsure of Denso or NGK tho')

ez

·
Registered
123 Posts
Honda is trying to sell me Spark Plugs for $25 each. I heard NGK makes the plugs for them. I found 2 different types of NGK plugs (at Advaned Auto Parts), only difference is gap. I'm not sure which one to get. I have a 2007 Honda Accord EX, automatic, 4 cylinder. Thanks!
Honda sources both NGK and Denso plugs, you could end up with either brand depending on the production runs and they are good for 105K. Make sure that when you replaced them, do not downgrade them from Iridium long life to the cheaper Platinum plugs, Your engine will eventually misfire and will display a CEL. There are many stories on those mistakes on the web and they usually end up replacing the plugs with NGK or Denso. Mine comes with Denso plugs so I replaced them with Denso (SKJ20DR-M11) but could use the NGK (IZFR6K-11). Do not use the cheaper Autolite or some other brands, if you are going to spend the time or the money to replace them. I only want to replace them once, so I am good for the next 105K.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.